Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European Cups, Domestic Cups and Internationals Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JR6

Nasri with a screamer from outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

JR6 wrote: »
    Nasri with a screamer from outside the box.

Silva was/is just about to come on too

Silva getting ready to come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

77 mins Dzeko off, Jovetic on

Heading towards 80 mins and still Costa is on the pitch! What the hell is Jose at? I'm starting to fear Costa not starting the weekend... I wonder will many people captain him with this in mind..

• Advertisement

Heading towards 80 mins and still Costa is on the pitch! What the hell is Jose at? I'm starting to fear Costa not starting the weekend... I wonder will many people captain him with this in mind..

very odd! I don't know what I'll do now !
    might just bank it and go 352 with Boyd :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

I already brought Costa in for Aguero. It's only Wednesday night and I already regret it. Looks like I'll have to captain Hazard. I'd captain Baines ahead of Costa now too for the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

José said that Costa needed to play to improve his match fitness (well that's how I read it).

Source: Ben Dinnery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Yeah read the full press conference somewhere else. Still didn't expect him to get 90, but wouldn't be overly worried about him for the weekend.

He seems to be fully injury free and needing match fitness.

Edit...actually it was in his post Newcastle comments that he said that about Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

FHFC wrote: »
    You looking for a slap?!?!?! :mad:

Just in the door how did costa look not sure whether to go for him or Dzeko.

• Advertisement

Just in the door how did costa look not sure whether to go for him or Dzeko.

Was watching the City game. Seems to have played well going by fotmob comments. Played 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Did City get through?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Did City get through?

Yep

FHFC wrote: »
    Was watching the City game. Seems to have played well going by fotmob comments. Played 90 mins.

How did Dzeko play

How did Dzeko play

Didn't look very sharp. Silva played the last 20 or so and did nothing.
    City attackers are a wait and see for me I think. Will probably stick to my Zab plan, best of both worlds. He plays ridiculously far advanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Did Azpi play a full match? Strange with Luis there

Did Azpi play a full match? Strange with Luis there
    Azpil played RB luis LB ivanovic got a rest. Mourinho saving azpils rest for a league match:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Missed all footy tonight.

Just as well, I wouldn't have fancied sitting through 90mins of Costa!!! What are you at Jose!!!

I presume Yaya got through the night ok? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

PARlance wrote: »
    Missed all footy tonight.

Just as well, I wouldn't have fancied sitting through 90mins of Costa!!! What are you at Jose!!!

I presume Yaya got through the night ok? ;)

Presume so seen as he wasn't playing.
    Edit.. yep just got it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,579 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Chadli starts for spurs tonight on turkey :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Arouna Kone. Had totally forgot about him! Can't see him ousting Lukaku, but would be a natural replacement should Lukaku be sidelined at some stage. Has showed some neat touches in the Europa tonight. £5.4M

I'm gonna be (a bit) off topic but I (we) have to take my (our) hat(s) off to En Avant Guingamp. They won in PAOK Thessaloniki (leader of the Greek championship) tonight and made it to the last 32 of Europa League.
    While Saint-Etienne & Lille, our supposedly "big" clubs, got shamefully knocked out of their group.

The (big) thing... what am I talking about?... the huuuuuuge thing is that Guingamp is a ~7000 inhabitants small town (from Brittany). Their budget is only 25m.

They were in National (3rd league in France) 4 years ago and had some players from that time playing tonight. Being promotted to League 2 was already an achievement for them. Well, not only they also got promotted to League 1 but they won the French Cup last year. And now into the Europa League last 32. Huge. Absolutely huge!

They're the breath of fresh air in French football. We accumulated such bad results in Europe over the last years that Portugal went ahead of us in the UEFA ranking and Russia is now threatening us. At this rate we'd shortly only have 1 team in CL ! But like in Asterix a village of indomitable Gauls resist and maintaim French pride :pac:. Bravo Guingamp :cool: !

Thats a great achievement Ill be cheering them on now. They have an extra round to make it through to the final though. We are only at the last 32.

Thats a great achievement Ill be cheering them on now. They have an extra round to make it through to the final though. We are only at the last 32.
    Ah yeah. I messed up my translation and made some Frenglish :o :pac:. I'm alway getting confused when translating that since in French we say 1/16th final while you say round of 32.

Anyway it's a true achievement. Especially that they're fighting the relegation battle in the same time but never took that as an excuse for not focusing or performing in Europe. They convincingly won their last 2 league games and are now 4 pts clear from it. I really hope they'll saty in League 1. They deserve it. And they (at least try to) play some nice attacking football. They could be seen as a small Swansea or Saints :D...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

iroced wrote: »
    I'm gonna be (a bit) off topic but I (we) have to take my (our) hat(s) off to En Avant Guingamp. They won in PAOK Thessaloniki (leader of the Greek championship) tonight and made it to the last 16 of Europa League.
    While Saint-Etienne & Lille, our supposedly "big" clubs, got shamefully knocked out of their group.

The (big) thing... what am I talking about?... the huuuuuuge thing is that Guingamp is a ~7000 inhabitants small town (from Brittany). Their budget is only 25m.

They were in National (3rd league in France) 4 years ago and had some players from that time playing tonight. Being promotted to League 2 was already an achievement for them. Well, not only they also got promotted to League 1 but they won the French Cup last year. And now into the Europa League last 16. Huge. Absolutely huge!

They're the breath of fresh air in French football. We accumulated such bad results in Europe over the last years that Portugal went ahead of us in the UEFA ranking and Russia is now threatening us. At this rate we'd shortly only have 1 team in CL ! But like in Asterix a village of indomitable Gauls resist and maintaim French pride :pac:. Bravo Guingamp :cool: !

I love teams like that:D

It is the true spirit of sport that (sometimes) is winning over the odds with money etc. I will keep an eye on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

wonski wrote: »
    I love teams like that:D

It is the true spirit of sport that (sometimes) is winning over the odds with money etc. I will keep an eye on them.

Yeah just like those teams who triumph despite low team value, always love an underdog ;-)

For all of you the new Guingamp fans, let me tell you they created another huge upset at the week-end :D. They beat the mighty Paris Saint Germain at home 1-0. Fantastic week for them.

Série noire for PSG (only European team yet unbeaten at the beginning of the week, 2 defeats in a row now with the CL one which could prove to be costly - not the same opponents whether you finish 1st or 2nd of your group phase -).

Chelsea v PSG
    City v barca
    Arsenal v monaco

In the relevant CL ties

KevIRL wrote: »
    Chelsea v PSG
    City v barca
    Arsenal v monaco

In the relevant CL ties

Great draw for arsenal as a group runner up. There is carling cup games this week for those making transfers could be best to wait till they are played.

• Advertisement

Great draw for Monaco too. Not the best draw but not the worst either. And they'll be very happy to meet Wenger again. He notably started their European history in the late 80ies-early 90ies and brought them top level consistency.

I was pointing out the difference between finishing 1st and 2nd for PSG... In the end they would have had City instead of Chelsea. Much of a muchness for them...

Speaking of City. are they cursed or what? They always seem to get the group of death and their second round draws are "ridiculous" :eek:.

Liverpool v besiktas
    Everton v young boys
    Spurs v fiorentina

In the Europa

Liverpool v besiktas
    Everton v young boys
    Spurs v fiorentina

In the Europa

Tasty ties

Azpi and Luis both start for chelsea

Chelsea team v Derby: Cech; Azpilicueta, Zouma, Terry (c), Filipe Luis; Mikel, Matic; Schurrle, Fabregas, Hazard; Drogba. #CFC

can't believe terry is playing :(
    he will be rested either 26th or 28th for sure
    need to have a look at my other defenders fixtures those games
    still have Moore too but He will likely get one game over xmas hopefully when I need him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

#SaintsFC team vs @SUFC_tweets: Forster, Clyne, Fonte (c), Gardos, Targett, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, Ward-Prowse, Bertrand, Mané, Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

Bertrand playing left wing it looks like.
    km79 wrote: »
    can't believe terry is playing
    still have Moore too but He will likely get one game over xmas hopefully when I need him!

I think he's still the safest. Next match isn't until Monday night so there's plenty of time to recover after this one. Counterintuitively, I think Ivan on the bench tonight could mean Jose will play Azpi and Luis together in a league match some time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

can't believe terry is playing :(

Hazard going to get rested some time soon too

Hazard playing is a disappointment alright

Hazard playing is a disappointment alright

At times like this I swear Jose is reading this forum. And sniggering. :(

• Advertisement

G1032 wrote: »

stop saying bad things :D
    I am beginning to think my yaya money may be better spent on a city defender for Moore or even Boyd to nasri
    it would mean keeping fellaini for another week and always having a re
    relatively expensive player on the bench BUT short term over Xmas it may be the way to go

Chelsea don't play til Monday again so barring injuries (gulp) they should be well rested. It's the following few days where the real concern will be

stop saying bad things :D
    I am beginning to think my yaya money may be better spent on a city defender for Moore or even Boyd to nasri
    it would mean keeping fellaini for another week and always having a re
    relatively expensive player on the bench BUT short term over Xmas it may be the way to go

Boyd to Silva with change is tempting.......

Oh and Targett gets a start again with Bertrand pushed forward. Pelle owners dodged a bullet with his suspension falling tonight too

Schurlle with an early yellow

haz with a beaut

G1032 wrote: »

As long as he rests Hazard for an away game it won't really matter.

3, 2, 2, 3, 2 last 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Bertrand playing left wing it looks like.

I think he's still the safest. Next match isn't until Monday night so there's plenty of time to recover after this one. Counterintuitively, I think Ivan on the bench tonight could mean Jose will play Azpi and Luis together in a league match some time soon.

Centre back is not really a position where players suffer from burnt out, I think he played every game last year over the Christmas period so he should be fine. You never know with Mourinho though.

manual_man wrote: »
    haz with a beaut

Cesc assist there too

Clyne yellow. Not sure where that leaves him for the season to date

• Advertisement
Advertisement