Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British bake off

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Shenshen wrote: »
    Right, the Swiss Roll base is baked and cooling down rolled up in a plastic bag.

I'll report back tomorrow on how it worked out :)

And I'm glad to report that it did indeed work. The cream was a little soft, so oozed out a bit after rolling, but I think it just makes it look more luxurious. I had also tried the decorating the cake befor you bake it thing - I think next time I need to improve on that pattern, it was meant to be little green flowers but turned out looking like shamrocks.

Attached is what my kitchen table looked like for my traditional "Kaffee und Kuchen" German birthday ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Looks fab Shenshen I would like to try that decoration thing myself at some later time any tips you'd like to give us?

gjc wrote: »
    Looks fab Shenshen I would like to try that decoration thing myself at some later time any tips you'd like to give us?

Go for a chunky design... too detailed, and it will not come out right. Something nice and bold.
    And once you have that piped onto the tray, place it in the oven for a minute or two to set it before you pour on the rest of the batter. That way it shouldn't distort too much. :)

Go for a chunky design... too detailed, and it will not come out right. Something nice and bold.
    And once you have that piped onto the tray, place it in the oven for a minute or two to set it before you pour on the rest of the batter. That way it shouldn't distort too much. :)
    Really appreciate that as much as I'm hooked on GBBO they don't seem to give you tips like this. Which leaves the likes of me googling and well behind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Paul and Mary usually do a masterclass for a few weeks after the show finishes. They usually show how to do most of the technical challenges and give lots of other tips as well. I love Mary's tips, they're so sensible!

• Advertisement

Made a mixed focaccia first time! 4 different sections tomato and basil, potato cheese and onion, pepper, and mixed herb and garlic. Very pleased thank you Mr. Hollywood.

I was watching it yesterday when my husband next to me on the sofa who I thought was completely engrossed in something on his laptop pipes up and says "How come you never make Ciabatta?"

So I'll give it a try on the weekend, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

If anyone is looking for some inspiration, I've noticed that foodnetwork.co.uk send their newsletter the morning after Bake Off and they piggy back on whatever has been baked the night before. This morning the newsletter had links to 11 Melt in the Middle Cakes and 18 Ways With Tiramisu. It's the same every week, they include whatever has appeared on Bake Off in their newsletter. Worth signing up to if anyone wants to try something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

And I'm glad to report that it did indeed work. The cream was a little soft, so oozed out a bit after rolling, but I think it just makes it look more luxurious. I had also tried the decorating the cake befor you bake it thing - I think next time I need to improve on that pattern, it was meant to be little green flowers but turned out looking like shamrocks.

Attached is what my kitchen table looked like for my traditional "Kaffee und Kuchen" German birthday ;)

Sehr Schöne! Aues güetes zum Gebürii! (As we say here in Bern. :))

I've lost my mojo as I don't like baked Alaska and tiramisu so a nothing week for me but the who ha is keeping me entertained

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was an exciting episode to watch though. I thought Baked Alaska was a poor choice of challenge given the weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Things are definitely hotting up on the show this year. I felt so sorry for Iain. Now Diana is gone. The editing of the programme is questionable. The situation gave the production team/judges a difficult problem to deal with but I think it should have been handled better.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2737378/Great-British-Bake-Off-grandmother-QUITS-tears-claiming-BBC-stitched-binned-pudding-scandal-hundreds-complain.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

It wasn't fair that thon woman got away with that. It was her fault.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It was certainly bad form, she should have been reprimanded for that and I thought they'd send her home. But I think Iain throwing the head - and throwing his sponge etc in the bin really went against him. With the editing it's hard to know what exactly happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I had to laugh at her acting all shocked when he gave off. Wtf did she expect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

But I think Iain throwing the head - and throwing his sponge etc in the bin really went against him.
    I was most annoyed that he threw the plate in along with all the ice cream! I pictured the poor person taking the bin liner out and it maybe having a small hole and all the stuff spilling out.

Well its all over now. Really enjoyed this series! I need a rest now from all the stress and tension! :D

I really enjoyed it too and Nancy was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Lucy B

Delighted Nancy won. She deserved it.

Hard to separate them though, just a hairsbreadth between them I thought.

• Advertisement

Definitely - it was very much down to what way it went on the day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I was disappointed that Richard didn't win. I thought he really deserved it, and I just lovely how happy and cheerful he always was. I definitely didn't want Luis to win. Something about him just rubbed me up the wrong way. But overall, I'm delighted for Nancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I really liked Luis. His showstoppers were incredible!

All told, this year's competition was fantastic. Once it got down to the last five I would have been happy for any of them to win.

Don't know how I'm going to cope without my weekly fix of gbbo and extra slice

We can always watch the Masterclasses! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just bumping to remind people that the Christmas Masterclass of the Great British Bake Off is airing this week, Tuesday 16th, at 8pm on BBC2.

Advertisement