Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

Rothmans wrote: »

What am I not factoring into my budgeting? Any advice much appreciated!

Your probably grand if you have no mortgage to pay and no kids to clothe and feed. But a few grand could easily be raked up if you do have a family, bills and a mortgage to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

EveAlex wrote: »
    I have total sympathy with your situation

I have had to get quite a sizable loan from a bank and a family member in order to cover the mortgage and bills for my 8months training

add in the compulsory kit that we need to buy and its added up to a pretty penny

I have had to get into debt and put a financial pressure on myself and my family in order to pursue a dream - I feel your pain

Thanks! At least I know I am not the only one. It definitely is a big financial committment. I hope all goes well for you in Templemore!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Thanks. That's a good point. I could check that out too. Cheers!

Maybe try Saint Vincent de Paul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

Is anyone else having problems finding white running shoes? How white should a predominantly white shoe be? If there are three adidas stripes that are black, or a nike tick that is blue or green but the rest of the shoe is mainly white, do you think that is acceptable?

How much does the tracksuit and t-shirt cost? I have managed to get some of the other essentials ok, but I have been having a serious debate with my wife about the whole thing now. She is trying to stop me from joining AGS now. We have been working out sums and we will be a few hundred euros short of our monthly outgoings each month while I am in Templemore. That doesn't include other costs such as electricity and oil for the house which will be required over Christmas especially. So over 8/9 months in Templemore, we will be thousands short of what we need. As it stands, there is no way we can get extra income. So I feel like my dream job could be just a dream again. I can't ignore my wfe's warnings and put the whole family at risk, especially the kids, but at the same time I want this job so much.

Anyone else feeling the pressure too? I am in a real position now and I will have to let HRM know by Wednesday if they want to get someone in to replace me. I feel sick now but I suppose that's the way life is at times.

:(
    If it's your dream job then you have to do it. If not, you'll spend the rest of your life regretting not having tried to make it work. Between the Credit Unions and Family Income Supplement you'll manage. It'll be hard going but if you really want to be a Guard then it'll be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

Mods, not sure if this is the right place for this post but I don't know where else to put it.

If you see a bunch of cyclist on the road between Mizen Head and Malin Head next week they're probably a gang of Guards cycling in memory of two of our own who where killed in the line of duty in Donegal in 2009. Robbie was 29 and Gary was 24. When you're starting a new job/career it is easy to forget that it's not all sweetness and light being a Guard, and that bad things can happen to good people. The cycle leaves leaves Mizen head on 7th September travelling via Killarney, Tralee, Tarbert, Lisdoonvarna, Oranmore, Claremorris and Sligo, with the final leg on Friday, 12th September. I can't post links but full details are on donegaldaily.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

JoannieG wrote: »
    Mods, not sure if this is the right place for this post but I don't know where else to put it.

If you see a bunch of cyclist on the road between Mizen Head and Malin Head next week they're probably a gang of Guards cycling in memory of two of our own who where killed in the line of duty in Donegal in 2009. Robbie was 29 and Gary was 24. When you're starting a new job/career it is easy to forget that it's not all sweetness and light being a Guard, and that bad things can happen to good people. The cycle leaves leaves Mizen head on 7th September travelling via Killarney, Tralee, Tarbert, Lisdoonvarna, Oranmore, Claremorris and Sligo, with the final leg on Friday, 12th September. I can't post links but full details are on donegaldaily.com

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_police_officers_killed_in_the_line_of_duty

I would try for the fis payment first.
    The garda credit unions are very good, but they don't throw money out the way they used to. But if you need a loan then once you're a member they are good. They take repayments from your wages before you get them so it's not too bad.
    At least the loans are paid and you can work with your money after that.

Just to give you an idea, I pay my mortgage through the credit union, I get paid 123 after deductions every week.
    I have 15 years service and I work with lads that get a lot less. We used to rely on the 'big' cheque once a month which includes your Sundays, unsocial hours and overtime, unfortunately there's no overtime anymore, so you really can't expect too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

WilcoOut wrote: »
    We were advised that new gardai will be going to 'urban centres' so think cities - Dub, Galway, Limerick

It will be all Dublin I'd say, not a hope Galway anyway it's the hardest city to get to, loads looking for transfers to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

How is it insane? There are plenty of people in this country, whether they live in Gaeltacht areas or elsewhere, who require and deserve a service through the native language of our country. Is that a crime? It is about time that a dedicated Irish stream was established, as up until now Irish language service within AGS and indeed other public services has been poor.

I am not in the Irish stream myself, but I can speak Irish quite fluently and when I am in the company of Irish speakers I make sure I speak Irish only.

I wish all you guys in the Irish stream all the best, and when I meet you I will make sure that I chat to you in Irish. You are just as essential, if not more so, than the rest of us.

Go n-éirí go geal libh go léir!!

Plenty of people... I would say less than 5% of the population speak Irish 100% of the time and even out of those I would guess that the majority would have full English vocabulary and then those who do live in areas speaking 100% Irish whould have a crime rate that would be almost zero. Now I'm not saying they should have to speak English but more asking why should "we" have to speak Irish?

In the height of tourist season I'd take a guess that at any given time there would be more Spanish speaking people here than Irish speaking natives, by that reckoning should there be a stream of Spanish speakers?

In my own opinion a dedicated Irish stream is a waste of time.

The reason the level of Irish in public sector jobs is so poor is like it or not down to the fact that the general population in Ireland now speak English as their first language and in dealing with them if you were to use Irish they'd look at you and wouldn't have a clue what you were saying to them! That's a fact of life in this country is that "we" or the majority don't speak the native language.

Good look to the stream of 10% I've no doubt where your all going to be sent, the far west of Ireland and if not I would be very shocked.

I say it's insane because this is taking 10% of a phase and segregating them. I was there when it was 200 in one room and 100 in another, you got to know most of the 200 but hadn't a clue who the 100 were for the most part anyway.

The 10% will be lost, my opinion and maybe I'm wrong for their sake I hope I am.

The 10% obviously speak Irish to a very high standard but I'm sure they also speak English why not leave them all together and then have them separated after their results and still send them on to Irish speaking parts of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Best of luck with your decision Eireannach1, its a tough call. Just don't forget that although the first 8 months will be rough, after that you'll be providing one of the most secure incomes in the country for your family. Not many jobs provide the same level of job security and a decent pension. Surely between FIS, CU loan and cutting costs you'll find a way to manage for the 32 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Will they still allow you defer your offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Thanks! At least I know I am not the only one. It definitely is a big financial commitment. I hope all goes well for you in Templemore!

Would you not go to your bank and get a deferral on your mortgage for 8 months?? Check it out. If you get a deferral ( which I don't see any reason why you wouldn't with your circumstances ie changing jobs etc ) the bank will then add on a few quid to your repayments when you start back 8 months later. Over the remaining term of your mortgage that wont be much.

Is anyone else having problems finding white running shoes? How white should a predominantly white shoe be? If there are three adidas stripes that are black, or a nike tick that is blue or green but the rest of the shoe is mainly white, do you think that is acceptable?

How much does the tracksuit and t-shirt cost? I have managed to get some of the other essentials ok, but I have been having a serious debate with my wife about the whole thing now. She is trying to stop me from joining AGS now. We have been working out sums and we will be a few hundred euros short of our monthly outgoings each month while I am in Templemore. That doesn't include other costs such as electricity and oil for the house which will be required over Christmas especially. So over 8/9 months in Templemore, we will be thousands short of what we need. As it stands, there is no way we can get extra income. So I feel like my dream job could be just a dream again. I can't ignore my wfe's warnings and put the whole family at risk, especially the kids, but at the same time I want this job so much.

Anyone else feeling the pressure too? I am in a real position now and I will have to let HRM know by Wednesday if they want to get someone in to replace me. I feel sick now but I suppose that's the way life is at times.

:(

You may not have seen my post about the runners before, normal running runners in general have a white cushioned sole with some grey, and maybe blue or yellow, they just don't want lads turning up in luminous green or orange runners. If your budget will only buy you let's say a pair of blue runners and they are suitable for running you won't be told to get a white pair. Just make sure they are running runners and not a tennis shoe. A cheap pair/discount pair from the likes of elverys or the likes will be grand.

I was down there and had similar financial circumstances as did a load of other lads there with children families mortgages, in light of this I fully agree with all the previous lads, definitely go in and have a word with the banks about the situation you are in.

In this job you will never get rich it's just not that kind of job but you will have a very secure job for the rest of your working days with a guaranteed wage something you may or may not have currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Just to start the rumours for you all...

Stations are out the end of the first week... :D:D:D

Is this true? Would actually be a very good idea and give people some time to prepare and plan for wherever they will be heading so hope it is true. In the past I believe you only got 2-3 weeks notice. Would explain why they want the list of family and cousins on Day 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Is this true? Would actually be a very good idea and give people some time to prepare and plan for wherever they will be heading so hope it is true. In the past I believe you only got 2-3 weeks notice. Would explain why they want the list of family and cousins on Day 1.

No it's not true. You will get 2 to 3 weeks notice maybe 4 if you're lucky.

Sorry non it's not true bit when your down there you'll realise why I said it, there will be constant rumours about when the stations are out!

We only got 1 weeks notice!!! Generally it will be last thing on a Friday when they do come out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just got an email telling me to make sure I bring a bank details, my P45 and a tablet/laptop which "must be suitable for Office 365".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Just got an email telling me to make sure I bring a bank details, my P45 and a tablet/laptop which "must be suitable for Office 365".

Me too! Hmm dunno if my employers will have my p45 ready for me that quickly though!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 briang747

dp you think this means the other checklist items are not AS essential for orientation week?

Regardless I'll be bringing everything with me - even if I end up leaving some of it in the car. I'd imagine we'll be assigned our rooms so I'll unload all my stuff in next week in dribs and drabs rather than trying to get it all done the following week when training starts proper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

Anyone bringing family down on day 1?

I'm certainly not. First day of School was hard enough saying goodbye to Mammy. Not going through that again.

I won't be bringing my P45 with me anyway next week. Because I'll have worked this week it means it'll be the September payroll (29th) before they can issue it to me. Hoping it won't be a problem though as emergency tax doesn't kick in for 6 weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

Likely there will be a tax refund due as we're moving to a lower weekly income. Ring Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

Carroller wrote: »
    Anyone bringing family down on day 1?

that used to be the thing way back - dont think its done anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Having put off shaving for months now, my beard has reached Gandalf proportions. Getting rid of it this week (along with a haircut) will be a sad day for pogonaphiles the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Just received email about resigning from the reserves by the 14th of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

Dongaz wrote: »

heartbroken :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

Dongaz wrote: »

Cant believe it! Its been some journey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

EveAlex wrote: »
    heartbroken :(

Why would you be heartbroken

Advertisement