Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

thekopend wrote: »
    Why would you be heartbroken

I am a proud GR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

EveAlex wrote: »
    I am a proud GR

Yeah, and now you can be a proud garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

I am a proud GR[/QU

Well said. The best of luck in the new career . My brother starts on Monday and has been on a high for weeks . We both joined the reserve at the same time and for him the experience helped him in getting to the regular .Hopefully when I finish in college I will make the grade

Rothmans wrote: »
    Yeah, and now you can be a proud garda.

I sure will

but its been a great experience, onwards and upwards gang!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

that used to be the thing way back - dont think its done anymore

To be honest this is a thing that was pretty standard up until the end of the last recruitment drive, I think a lot of people tagged along out of curiosity. If you feel like bringing people with I'd say go right ahead if it's what suits you it's expected that people will have others come along particularly with the amount of stuff to be brought the first day. You should all be very proud to have got through such an intense competition it's some achievement. I went through myself in 08 and knowing a few of the lecturers going in I can tell you that it's going to be a serious shock to some. As a previous poster stated , try getting through without any officers knowing your name, they don't want hero's down there. What you do in there can't make your career but it can certainly destroy it, it's happened to many. Keep the head down and listen, enjoy your few drinks but don't be the last out of Polys. Every person drinking in polys is a member be in no doubt. It's a fantastic experience, it's also a fantastic learning curriculum. Any reserves here will I'm sure have been told this line by full timers, 'whatever they tell you in that college ignore it'. That's absolute bull. While the college can't even begin to prepare you for the outside world it's where you will get your legal knowledge. The law is your tool box, you will realise that when you get out, so if you don't know it you'll be a donkey. Other than that enjoy it, you're joining a unique job full of mostly great people, and above all else, be nice to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

Took this week off work, spending my time with friends and family. I can't wait to be down on Monday.

Thankfully the trains will be back running!
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0903/641067-iarnrod-eireann/

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

Can anyone from Cork tell me where they got their Judo suit? Finns corner just have karate suits and I don't want to get the wrong type! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

teaisgreat wrote: »
    Can anyone from Cork tell me where they got their Judo suit? Finns corner just have karate suits and I don't want to get the wrong type! Thanks.
    If you're really stuck, the one on amazon linked a few pages back is super value, doubt it'll arrive by Monday but you'd probably have it for after induction week.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

There's a parcel motel in Thurles which might be of use to you if you're getting the Judo gi online.
    http://www.parcelmotel.com/locations.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Just got an email about a coffee morning at 11am Monday for families. That answers that. I've stuff to do that morning so it'll be the 2pm start for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Just got an email about a coffee morning at 11am Monday for families. That answers that. I've stuff to do that morning so it'll be the 2pm start for me.

Same as that! I'd have to leave at 5.30 am to make the coffee morning! Lol

You'd need to drink a gallon of the stuff on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

From what i remember day one is a gathering in the gym when you will be welcomed. You will also be told what class you will be put into (so remember if you are class 1, 2 , 3 etc - classes are selected on no particular criteria). When you go into the auditorium you will be told where each of you have been allocated to sit - class 1 then class 2 and so on from the front backwards. Then you will be given your registration numbers - your number for life in AGS. This will be your unique identification number. You will then sit in the same seat every day for class. You will always stand next the the same person the same as in class except when its drill in the yard when students are organised according to height. Just to give you an idea of the sort of thing to expect on day one. Between the roll call / welcome in the gym there will be family time with the coffee and there will more than likely be staff on hand to give you and family a tour around - possibly an hour or two for this, and then its bye to family and then report to the auditorium / large classroom and down to the admin side of things.

I would not worry too much about having the full kit or all the bits and bobs on your first week. It will be full of 'laying down the regulations while on campus, and the lights out information, as well as just getting used to how it works'.

Best of luck to everyone heading to Templemore next Monday - you are badly awaited all around the country but only a few lucky stations will get you!! Good luck :)

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    You will also be told what class you will be put into (so remember if you are class 1, 2 , 3 etc -

cant wait to meet ya'll - going to be an epic 8months :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy99

Any tech heads?!

My Sis gave me this tab she wasn't using, can u tell me if it's office 365 compatible?!

Called goclever7, because I'm new member won't let me copy link of spec sorry!!

timmy99 wrote: »
    Any tech heads?!

My Sis gave me this tab she wasn't using, can u tell me if it's office 365 compatible?!

It should work but might be difficult to use on such a small touchscreen display. See how it goes sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AaronMul1

Dongaz wrote: »
    Just received email about resigning from the reserves by the 14th of September.

Didnt get one of those. Will give them a call, might be cause im still a trainee waiting on the graduation.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

timmy99 wrote: »
    Any tech heads?!

Probably not, I don't know the tablet but I just googled some reviews. Seems to be a slow, sluggish tablet, and I'm not surprised with only 512mb of ram and with little storage ( 4gb ). I'd recommend a cheap and cheerful laptop that runs windows instead of an android operating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jrobertos

I'll try it here. The other forum seems to b totally dead.

Rang HRM yesterday. Seems my vetting is still not back. Anyone hear the same. I asked about next round of medicals and was told they would start whenever they had a bunch who had totally cleared vetting. So still no positive dates.

Anyone have any views on what's going to happen

jrobertos wrote: »
    I'll try it here. The other forum seems to b totally dead.

Rang HRM yesterday. Seems my vetting is still not back. Anyone hear the same. I asked about next round of medicals and was told they would start whenever they had a bunch who had totally cleared vetting. So still no positive dates.

Anyone have any views on what's going to happen

you were told whats going to happen

how would we know anymore?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

I'm so excited!!! Start date is so so so close now :D

you were told whats going to happen

how would we know anymore?!

Just wondering if ppl had been told different. No need to be so smart. Still plenty of us left who want to know what's going on.
    Best of luck to ye all next wednesday

Just wondering if ppl had been told different. No need to be so smart. Still plenty of us left who want to know what's going on.

People are starting on Monday :):)

you asked the right people and were told what theyre waiting on..............

Blaireness wrote: »
    People are starting on Monday :):)

😊 Ya sorry meant monday

I'm so excited!!! Start date is so so so close now :D

I'd more excited if I didn't have a shít-ton of stuff to get sorted between now and Monday morning along with a leaving-do from work tomorrow night which could get messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'd more excited if I didn't have a shít-ton of stuff to get sorted between now and Monday morning along with a leaving-do from work tomorrow night which could get messy.
    In the exact same boat. I've my leaving do and a friend's engagement party to get to over the weekend, as well as meetings all day Saturday. Not sure when I'll have time to go pick up socks and last minute bits and bobs.

It'll all be grand! I've a ton to do but it's outweighed by the fact that this finally feels real!

I've a lot to sort out with college which is a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

It'll all be grand! I've a ton to do but it's outweighed by the fact that this finally feels real!

I've a lot to sort out with college which is a pain.

Hey just wondering on you with college, if you don't mind me asking are you far through your degree and in general terms what sort of degree were you doing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

which could get messy.

i.e WILL

:)

Advertisement