Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Hi all,

Firstly congrats on all of ye getting through to this stage. Ye're the envy of many many thousand of people who's give anything to be in yere shoes.
    I'm sure many of ye are coming from full time secure jobs that are probably paying far more than a gardas pay cheque, but if I can give one piece of advice it's that I'd rather be getting 200 a week doing a job I love rather than 400 a week doing a job I hate, what is they say work to live and not live to work.

There seems to be a lot of ye mention in finances etc, yes it will be hard, very hard. This is where I put on my professional cap, firstly go to your financial institutions and tell them your positions. Credit unions in the whole will be very understanding and will realise you'll be back in a year earning a lot more and in a more secure position. Banks on the other hand won't be best pleased and will tell you that your house is at risk bla bla bla. By the time they actually get serious with you, you'll be attested and earning a bit more then you can catch up. And by all means try the two garda credit unions they're two of the best credit unions we have in the country.

Best of luck lads

• Registered Users Posts: 31 briang747

Lads, I was a member of the RDF until last year when I was put on the inactive list. I have only seen that a letter of discharge is required and was wondering if i have put in for one but not yet received it will i be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

briang747 wrote: »
    Lads, I was a member of the RDF until last year when I was put on the inactive list. I have only seen that a letter of discharge is required and was wondering if i have put in for one but not yet received it will i be ok?

Only HRM will be able to answer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

A letter from your C/O stating you have resigned should do ya

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

I am a Garda with eight years service. Joined the guards also while being a member of RDF. Never got a letter, never heard anymore about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭da_hambo

I am a Garda with eight years service. Joined the guards also while being a member of RDF. Never got a letter, never heard anymore about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 briang747

Thanks guys. Spoke to HRM today, and they werent too pushed about it....said try to rush them on it, but said I should be ok. On a side note: Judo suit, runners, gum shield, speedos and socks all came today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 blake101

Don't forget to delete some more messages Wilco. You certainly are popular

WilcoOut wrote: »
    A letter from your C/O stating you have resigned should do ya

blake101 wrote: »
    Don't forget to delete some more messages Wilco. You certainly are popular

Go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

I know there has been some discussion on how much we will be taxed, but I was hoping that we wouldn't be taxed at all as it is not a wage. In the induction pack the 184euro is described as a weekly "allowance". Surely if it is an allowance it wouldn't be taxed. What do you all think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

I asked the lads on my unit about that. They were not taxed when they were students, they got the full €184. I cant see that being changed. So what I'm trying to say is were all going to be RICH.

So who is getting the first round in in at Polly's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

redsurfer wrote: »
    I asked the lads on my unit about that. They were not taxed when they were students, they got the full €184. I cant see that being changed. So what I'm trying to say is were all going to be RICH.

So who is getting the first round in in at Polly's.
    Think that one is on Noirin is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

D Trent wrote: »
    Think that one is on Noirin is it not?

first round is on the commissioner

last round on the Minister

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

In the information booklet you got regarding the pensions, if say you have your 30 years done when you are 55 when can you retire with your FULL pension??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

mickaleen wrote: »
    In the information booklet you got regarding the pensions, if say you have your 30 years done when you are 55 when can you retire with your FULL pension??

Yes, you can start at the age of 25, serve your 30 years and retire on full pension, or you can start at 35 and buy 10 years of your pension and pay them off with your 20 years and retire at 55 on your full pension

Best of luck to all those enjoying their last day in work today

I know I sure am!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭misshopeful1

Just 3 more sleeps folks! :-)

How many of my fellow lady-applicants are heading down on Monday? I wonder did the college meet their previously mentioned hope of having a minimum of 25% women in the first class?

Also, did you hear about the applicants who got letters about 2 weeks after our results came out, basically saying: you didn't make the first 100, but you're invited to attend the induction week and should anyone not turn up or not be cut out for it, you MAY get their place.

Tough times, folks. Feeling very lucky and blessed to have made the first intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

How many of my fellow lady-applicants are heading down on Monday? I wonder did the college meet their previously mentioned hope of having a minimum of 25% women in the first class?

are you a reserve misshopeful?

EveAlex wrote: »
    are you a reserve misshopeful?

Nope.

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »
    Yes, you can start at the age of 25, serve your 30 years and retire on full pension, or you can start at 35 and buy 10 years of your pension and pay them off with your 20 years and retire at 55 on your full pension
    Nice one thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Minevah

I read a news article after the media open day and it stated there would be 18 females in the first intake.

Best of luck to all!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

Minevah wrote: »
    I read a news article after the media open day and it stated there would be 18 females in the first intake.

Best of luck to all!

I would have thought there would be more? No fights for the showers so!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

billie1b wrote: »

Retirement age in AGS is actually 60 so if you start at 35 then you will be required to work until you are 60 and buy back 5 years service, not retire at 55 and buy back 10. I've never heard of anybody retiring at 55 and receiving a full pension with less than 30 years service. There were a number of people in my phase that were over 30 when we joined and have to buy back a few years but it's a small sacrifice to pay if it's the job you really want.

Ok so to be more specific, I will have my 30 years service done when I am 54. Can I then retire on a full pension when I am 55?? Or would I only get part of my pension and only get the rest when I reach 60?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

mickaleen wrote: »
    Ok so to be more specific, I will have my 30 years service done when I am 54. Can I then retire on a full pension when I am 55?? Or would I only get part of my pension and only get the rest when I reach 60?

Yep you can retire on 55 on full pension once you've 30 years done. People usually work to 60 if they joined a little later and need to work up service or they're happy out to keep working and contributing to their pension. Hope this helps

Thanks Northside. Yeah that's good to hear. Nice to have a few options.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

CV, list of relatives and their addresses printed out. Beginning to pack my bag today. Looking forward to having a cup of tea and chat with ye all on Monday morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭octigen

Chem Lord wrote: »
    CV, list of relatives and their addresses printed out. Beginning to pack my bag today. Looking forward to having a cup of tea and chat with ye all on Monday morning :)

Are u including relations who are not residing in ROI? From my take on the letter there is no need...

• Advertisement

Best of luck to everyone starting up there this coming Monday.

Advertisement