Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

We are here safe and sound lads, no strict policy of anything, just told to have a bit of common sense. Honestly I think boards has no more use for many of us as we are here at last and no more waiting or speculating.

(Also the fear of someone sussing your username is what is scaring many off ha ha)

Best of luck to those of you still waiting to get in! It'll all be worth it when you get here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

teaisgreat wrote: »
    We are here safe and sound lads, no strict policy of anything, just told to have a bit of common sense. Honestly I think boards has no more use for many of us as we are here at last and no more waiting or speculating.

(Also the fear of someone sussing your username is what is scaring many off ha ha)

Best of luck to those of you still waiting to get in! It'll all be worth it when you get here!

Just what I was thinking, no reason to be on it anymore. Instead of rules and all that rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

teaisgreat wrote: »
    We are here safe and sound lads, no strict policy of anything, just told to have bit of common sense. Honestly I think boards has no more use for many of us as we are here at last and no more waiting or speculating.

Met one or two boards folks down here.I haven't said anything to anyone else here about being a boarsie. In any case, as I said to others on boards, no recruit here has being saying anything negative re AGS via social media or otherwise.

What I will say, however, is that the training course has changed drastically, and for the better as far as I can see.

That's really it, as far as I'm concerned tbh.

P.S all the folks down here are dead sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

Anyone down there with tattoos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Rothmans wrote: »
    P.S all the folks down here are dead sound.

Yes we are. You're sound too buddy.

It's nice here, we've had cracking weather all week. Very little to complain about at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Yes we are. You're sound too buddy.

It's nice here, we've had cracking weather all week. Very little to complain about at all.

Wait for parade in the snow... It will snow and rain A LOT!! If its sunny get the most out of it, go use the golf course (its not a bad course, easy but enjoyable to be able to get out)

It always rains, did I say that? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Wait for parade in the snow... It will snow and rain A LOT!! If its sunny get the most out of it, go use the golf course (its not a bad course, easy but enjoyable to be able to get out)

It always rains, did I say that? :D

It's been like Tenerife in these parts all week, and next week too!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jmone

Still reeling over the fact that I'm not in the first class due to vetting not being completed. I hope the person that took my position is a happy man/woman!

For the lads down there, what's the vibe with regards to different phases being brought down in the next 3-6 months? Hopefully happens before the new year but wouldn't bet on it

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

jmone wrote: »
    Still reeling over the fact that I'm not in the first class due to vetting not being completed. I hope the person that took my position is a happy man/woman!

For the lads down there, what's the vibe with regards to different phases being brought down in the next 3-6 months? Hopefully happens before the new year but wouldn't bet on it
    In the same boat myself mate, its hard to take, it just leaves us in limbo, not knowing what is going on and hearing speculation about when the next class goes in, or if there will be one. Its going to be a tough few months but hang in there it will be worth it, I would say we will be after christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

How are things going in the college? Im raging I had to defer at the last minute, but I have been assured I will be in the next intake! Financially I wasnt able to make the committment to leave home. My wife wouldnt allow it and I cant disagree with her because we would be unable to pay our mortgage and bills. In the meantime, I have made enquiries about Family Income Support etc. Thanks for the pointers guys!

Is there any speculation when the next intake may be? Or if there will be more than one. Does it feel like being at uni or is it more a feeling of being at work?

All the best guys and hopefully it wont be too long until I enter the gates of Templemore

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8 FlUtO

How are things going in the college? Im raging I had to defer at the last minute, but I have been assured I will be in the next intake! Financially I wasnt able to make the committment to leave home. My wife wouldnt allow it and I cant disagree with her because we would be unable to pay our mortgage and bills. In the meantime, I have made enquiries about Family Income Support etc. Thanks for the pointers guys!

Is there any speculation when the next intake may be? Or if there will be more than one. Does it feel like being at uni or is it more a feeling of being at work?

All the best guys and hopefully it wont be too long until I enter the gates of Templemore

You need to get your missus under control. You can't defer forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

FlUtO wrote: »
    You need to get your missus under control. You can't defer forever.

No I need to get my finances under control, thank you very much.

Responsibility is important!! I wouldnt be responsible if I did otherwise. I have a children to think of too. Hopefully that quality of being a responsible individual will stand to me when I eventually enter the gates.

• Site Banned Posts: 8 FlUtO

No I need to get my finances under control, thank you very much.

Responsibility is important!! I wouldnt be responsible if I did otherwise. I have a children to think of too. Hopefully that quality of being a responsible individual will stand to me when I eventually enter the gates.

Well you did say....
    My wife wouldnt allow it

Who runs the show man ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Back on topic please

-KERSPLAT!

edit: FlUtO banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

very few women and a wide range of different backgrounds. Also the newest members seem to still be very young, the majority 21- 25 years of age http://www.thejournal.ie/first-new-garda-recruits-templemoore-2009-1672021-Sep2014/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Guys i dont know if this is on or off topic but can i ask ye to do something. I heard of a garda sergant that 3 people have already left templemore after the first week because they didnt like it. I dont know if this is true or not but for the people like me who were pretty much banking on the gards and got stuck in the second band that made me curl up with rage.
    A lot of people would kill to be in your position. I myself have been working towards the garda for most of my adult life. To get stuck in the second band was a huge downer for me and for a lot of others and has made me question whether or not i want to be a garda anymore because of the amount of stress and hassle that getting stuck in the second band has caused. For me to hear that some people have left because they didnt like it after the first week is in my opinion an absolute disgrace.
    For anyone in templemore now who is considering leaving can i ask ye to please please stick it out for a month. There are a lot of people who want to be where ye are so just think long and hard about that before ye decide to leave. Ye are the lucky ones work hard because this wont come up again for another 3 years. Thats all i wanted to say. Apologies to kersplat if its a random comment.

There's always a few who leave in the first week. My phase the first night one disappeared never came back and by the end if the week 3 more for all different reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Guys i dont know if this is on or off topic but can i ask ye to do something. I heard of a garda sergant that 3 people have already left templemore after the first week because they didnt like it. I dont know if this is true or not but for the people like me who were pretty much banking on the gards and got stuck in the second band that made me curl up with rage.
    A lot of people would kill to be in your position. I myself have been working towards the garda for most of my adult life. To get stuck in the second band was a huge downer for me and for a lot of others and has made me question whether or not i want to be a garda anymore because of the amount of stress and hassle that getting stuck in the second band has caused. For me to hear that some people have left because they didnt like it after the first week is in my opinion an absolute disgrace.
    For anyone in templemore now who is considering leaving can i ask ye to please please stick it out for a month. There are a lot of people who want to be where ye are so just think long and hard about that before ye decide to leave. Ye are the lucky ones work hard because this wont come up again for another 3 years. Thats all i wanted to say. Apologies to kersplat if its a random comment.

If getting put into band 2 has caused you enough stress to make you think twice about the job then I don't think you're suited to the job to be fair. The stress levels you will reach for the next 30 years are unimaginable to most civilian people and getting put back for a little while is just a very minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Ye were all looking very dapper int he Irish Examiner today in yer uniforms. What's the story there, is that yer attire now while in there or is it back to suits today for the time being?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

Some people will drop out and leave, that's natural and to be expected, they did well in all other stages of recruitment and so they have a right to be in the first batch, and ultimately it's up to them if they end up leaving because they don't like it or realise they're not suited to it.

Maybe that type of personality/individual should be spotted at interview level but it's not easy to see, sometimes you don't know if something is for you until you're there in the moment...

I know they're taking up valuable spaces which are like gold dust, but such is life

• Advertisement

mickaleen wrote: »
    Ye were all looking very dapper int he Irish Examiner today in yer uniforms. What's the story there, is that yer attire now while in there or is it back to suits today for the time being?

Probably a stock photo?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Probably a stock photo?
    Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean by a stock photo?? Do you mean that's an old photo they printed? If that's the case its not, I recognised a few in the photo.

Yeah, a stock photo would be one that a paper has from previous articles and they use over and over again. Glad I'm wrong, good to see them uniformed :)

Yeah, a stock photo would be one that a paper has from previous articles and they use over and over again. Glad I'm wrong, good to see them uniformed :)
    Yeah I was surprised when I seen the photo. Didn't think they'd have them kitted out like that already. It was probably just for the day while the Minister was up there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Probably a stock photo?

The media were down in Templemore yesterday for the joint address between the Minister and Acting Commissioner so the pictures are current. Some students were also interviewed by RTÉ for the news reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

Can confirm it was the actual class (not a stock photo) . My brother could be seen ,the mother already has it in a frame......

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

There's always a few who leave in the first week. My phase the first night one disappeared never came back and by the end if the week 3 more for all different reasons.

If you do a head count of the photo in the papers today I don't think any has dropped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Interesting breakdown of the Garda trainees here
    http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=13993&Lang=1

Comhghairdeas lads and lasses

Was on a day course there today, I can confirm all students are in uniform, none in suits anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

A nice selection of different jobs in the group. Everything from a law student to a plumber.

Advertisement