Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

bubblypop wrote: »
    Out of 15 Christmases, I got one off.
    This year is only my 2nd Christmas off in 16 years.
    Such is the job.

Unlucky! Most of my family/people in the job I know usually ended up working half of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

bubblypop wrote: »
    Out of 15 Christmases, I got one off.
    This year is only my 2nd Christmas off in 16 years.
    Such is the job.

Do you volunteer to work or swap shift?

I only ask as with the current shift pattern of; 6 on, 4 off, would you not get 40% of Christmas' off?

Hank26 wrote: »
    Do you volunteer to work or swap shift?

I only ask as with the current shift pattern of; 6 on, 4 off, would you not get 40% of Christmas' off?

Thats why I'm off this year as well as two years ago.
    Change in shift has been good so far!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

3fullback wrote: »
    What about the health insurance ?

As a new student it costs 20 quid a week for a year then ~29 quid thereafter.

Comes out of your wages weekly if you opt in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

As a new student it costs 20 quid a week for a year then ~29 quid thereafter.

Comes out of your wages weekly if you opt in.

Wow, that's more expensive than the most expensive plan with VHI. What the hell?

What are the added benefits over VHI? Is it non profit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Wow, that's more expensive than the most expensive plan with VHI. What the hell?

What are the added benefits over VHI? Is it non profit?

The added benefit is that it is the best health insurance in the country !

The added benefit is that it is the best health insurance in the country !

Is it genuinely?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

Regarding Garda health insurance, can student Gardai get it ?
    Also how much are trainees getting per week is it roughly €184 or €250 ?

The €250 figure comes from ,

" The Garda Trainees will receive an allowance of €184 per week for the 32 weeks leading to attestation. A weekly living allowance of €77.92 will also be provided for this period. After 32 weeks of training, Garda recruits are attested and move on to the first point of the Garda pay scale of €23,171 rising to a maximum of €45,793 per annum after 19 years. They may also qualify for other allowances depending on their assignments."

http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/debates%20authoring/debateswebpack.nsf/takes/dail2014092500051?opendocument#WRM00450

im clearing 171

then 20 deduction for medical aid

so 151 is all mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Don't be going to wild at the weekend so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Is it genuinely?

It really is. It's expensive no doubt and it pains me to pay nearly €30pw for medical aid but you do genuinely get better cover then other insurers. I've only ever had to use it once thankfully but they couldn't have made things easier for me. By all means shop around and see if you can get a better deal but definitely take out some kind of medical insurance when you start in this job.

• Advertisement

I've been on medical aid all my life due to a parent being in the job, fantastic cover. Best health insurance in the country. Well worth the money. For anyone that's down there at the moment, are ye using laptops in class, or do you need a good laptop down there? Just debating a bout whether I'll need to buy a new one, my old one is nearing its end!! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

Is it genuinely?

It's expensive but no where else comes close. Sister in law works in health insurance and we asked her for the best quote and we wouldn't have gotten half the benefits we have with garda medical aid.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

3fullback wrote:
    " The Garda Trainees will receive an allowance of €184 per week for the 32 weeks leading to attestation. A weekly living allowance of €77.92 will also be provided for this period. After 32 weeks of training, Garda recruits are attested and move on to the first point of the Garda pay scale of €23,171 rising to a maximum of €45,793 per annum after 19 years. They may also qualify for other allowances depending on their assignments."

Ah lads 19 years to get 45k thats brutal. Sure its a handy job anyway I suppose.

Puibo wrote: »
    Ah lads 19 years to get 45k thats brutal. Sure its a handy job anyway I suppose.

Anyone know what it was on the old scale after 19 years?

Or for that matter any links to the old scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

If its like other public and civil service pay scales then when you reach the end of it you are stuck there until promotion knocks on your door if it does at all. The trick is to get promotion well before you reach the end of the pay scale.
    There currently is a review of all allowances throughout civil and public service jobs and I reckon what we will see happening is a reduction in the number of allowances and an increase in the starting salary and pay-scale for a new recruit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

Anyone know what it was on the old scale after 19 years?

Or for that matter any links to the old scale?

Think it's the same salary but it takes a year longer to get there

Wow, just did a little looking into it. in year 1 including the old rent allowance recruits used to get around 30,000 a year from year one. We'll be starting on 23,000 and that's after years of inflation too. Figures are approx but that's crazy!!

Am I correct in not counting rent allowance for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

Yes, while there may be not too much of a difference in scales the big difference is the loss of allowances to new recruits.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

20times wrote: »
    For anyone that's down there at the moment, are ye using laptops in class, or do you need a good laptop down there? Just debating a bout whether I'll need to buy a new one, my old one is nearing its end!! Thanks

We use our laptops a lot. Not during lectures but during the problem-solving sessions and outside of class hours. Lots of presentations to be done and there is course work required to be submitted online. You will also want to be able to bring work home at the weekends if needs be.

There's also decent wifi throughout the college including the accomodation blocks so you'll want one for your down-time too.

An old one will do the job if it runs office (running word, excel and powerpoint is essential). You might also find that if you back everything up off your laptop and reset it to factory condition it will run a lot better and do you fine. If it's a battery problem and needs to be plugged in all the time to work then I'd consider a replacement batter from eBay. Sockets in classrooms are sparse.

I've helped a few lads reset their laptops already and saved them from getting a new laptop or suffering with their old one. In saying that I forked out for a new one and am glad I did given how much I use it.

Thanks, will try that. 5 years in college took its toll on it, will try a reset and if not Ill invest! Hope ye are enjoying it down there, can't wait to get started!

We use our laptops a lot. Not during lectures but during the problem-solving sessions and outside of class hours. Lots of presentations to be done and there is course work required to be submitted online. You will also want to be able to bring work home at the weekends if needs be.

There's also decent wifi throughout the college including the accomodation blocks so you'll want one for your down-time too.

An old one will do the job if it runs office (running word, excel and powerpoint is essential). You might also find that if you back everything up off your laptop and reset it to factory condition it will run a lot better and do you fine. If it's a battery problem and needs to be plugged in all the time to work then I'd consider a replacement batter from eBay. Sockets in classrooms are sparse.

I've helped a few lads reset their laptops already and saved them from getting a new laptop or suffering with their old one. In saying that I forked out for a new one and am glad I did given how much I use it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 181 ✭✭Scannal

MOD SNIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Sure take some time off there like a good lad. Cheers for the reports folks, don't feed the trolls :)

Are they cooking ye good healthy grub down there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

I heard recently that the 100 is now 83.

any truth to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

pa990 wrote: »
    I heard recently that the 100 is now 83.

any truth to this?
    Yeah that's true alright and the other 83 will be gone by tomorrow...clown...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

mickaleen wrote: »
    ...clown...

Care to elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

mickaleen wrote: »
    Yeah that's true alright and the other 83 will be gone by tomorrow...clown...

Calm down, we are all here with the goal of joining the gardai, im sure he was just asking a question.

I am calm.....:D

pa990 wrote: »
    Care to elaborate
    Clown for believing that crap that you had to ask here....

On reflection, clown is a harsh word, it sounded better in my head, it wasn't meant to offend, it was more tongue in cheek....Apologies if it did.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Alright lads, take it easy. A question was asked, a simple answer is all that's required, let's keep the personal stuff out off it, cheers.

Advertisement