Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    MOD

Alright lads, take it easy. A question was asked, a simple answer is all that's required, let's keep the personal stuff out off it, cheers.
    You beat me to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

mickaleen wrote: »
    Clown for believing that crap that you had to ask here....

On reflection, clown is a harsh word, it sounded better in my head, it wasn't meant to offend, it was more tongue in cheek....Apologies if it did.....

Well, I'm a serving member.
    And that's what I heard from another serving member.

Are u in the farm at the moment ?
    Can anyone confirm how many are gone?
    There is an attrition rate that applies on average to every phase.

The information that I received was that an unexpectedly higer number had left for various reasons including getting better jobs (as many were well qualified for good positions in the private sector)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

pa990 wrote: »

The information that I received was that an unexpectedly higer number had left for various reasons including getting better jobs (as many were well qualified for good positions in the private sector)

From information posted on here before it seems that one person dropped out during inductipn week, but they were replaced, and there have been no dropouts since.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

I was told the same by a serving member today but find it hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Talked to someone who's doing their training at the minute and I was told that the class was full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

100 of us still here!!!! How many times do we need to say this?! One deferred on Thursday of the intro week and the space was filled.

100 STILL HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kahmen

i now i asked this be for but never got a reply so il say it agen is any one down thare whit dyslexia and dyspraxia i whud lover a respons this time arond form any on dow tare ore any one that now some on tare thanks lads

ps as son as im don my lc and recruitment opes agen im going to apley as i have ben told by a few guards in my lockle stachinn that it shud not afect me but still i said il ask and see

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

Blaireness wrote: »
    100 of us still here!!!! How many times do we need to say this?! One deferred on Thursday of the intro week and the space was filled.

100 STILL HERE

see above

its the truth

any chance of a sticky on this MOD!? :cool::cool::pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Alright lads, how long before ye started did ye get the letters of offer? Hoping to be in the second intake and wondering about timeframes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

kahmen wrote: »
    i now i asked this be for but never got a reply so il say it agen is any one down thare whit dyslexia and dyspraxia i whud lover a respons this time arond form any on dow tare ore any one that now some on tare thanks lads

ps as son as im don my lc and recruitment opes agen im going to apley as i have ben told by a few guards in my lockle stachinn that it shud not afect me but still i said il ask and see

My cousin was told there would be no dispensation for dyslexia by PAS when he was going to put his name down for this intake. He would have to pass the same tests as anyone else.

You should call them yourself if you wish to confirm this. At stage 3 there was a report-writing test which was a test of our spelling and grammar (among other things). This is where he might (and probably would have) fallen down had he gone ahead and applied.

As for your dyspraxia, the physical demands on a member will obviously be huge so depending on how badly you suffer, it could also rule you out. This would be assessed at your medical after having passed stage 3 mentioned above.

Hope that helps, but don't be afraid to pick up the phone and get more official word from PAS.

• Advertisement

My cousin was told there would be no dispensation for dyslexia by PAS when he was going to put his name down for this intake. He would have to pass the same tests as anyone else.

You should call them yourself if you wish to confirm this. At stage 3 there was a report-writing test which was a test of our spelling and grammar (among other things). This is where he might (and probably would have) fallen down had he gone ahead and applied.

As for your dyspraxia, the physical demands on a member will obviously be huge so depending on how badly you suffer, it could also rule you out. This would be assessed at your medical after having passed stage 3 mentioned above.

Hope that helps, but don't be afraid to pick up the phone and get more official word from PAS.

Yeah, as far as I'm aware the Gardai, Fire service and Armed forces are exempt from disability discrimination laws. Don't quote me on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭kahmen

i now that if i do apply i most meat all the leaving cert standers but im unsure if they are exempt from disability discrimination laws as i cant seem to find any thing online about it but thank you lads for the advice il have to give pas a call and see if i can have a chat whit my lockel super see what he seas about it sonere than later once agen thanks lads for the advice

Alright lads, how long before ye started did ye get the letters of offer? Hoping to be in the second intake and wondering about timeframes.

we got 4weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭20times

Is it true that ye don't have to be back in on a Sunday night and that you can head home any night during the week and just head back down in the morning? I heard this, but was under the impression you were required to reside there Sunday-Friday

20times wrote: »
    Is it true that ye don't have to be back in on a Sunday night and that you can head home any night during the week and just head back down in the morning?

thats correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Pretty off topic question, but its not an attempt at trolling. Given the rise in bad publicity for AGS with regards handling protesters. Has it being mentioned in class or used as a case study? How to correctly handle them, and not to get involved in back and forths e.t.c

empacher wrote: »
    Pretty off topic question, but its not an attempt at trolling. Given the rise in bad publicity for AGS with regards handling protesters. Has it being mentioned in class or used as a case study? How to correctly handle them, and not to get involved in back and forths e.t.c

I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to divulge training. If I was up there I wouldn't be answering this question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

JoannieG wrote: »
    Congrats to you all. I went to the Garda College in April 1982 and I can still remember how excited I was. It's a great job, but it's also great being a Garda pensioner!

Yes me too - I joined in January 1983 and served 31 years. This thread is great as it does convey the feeling of excitement I had back then too but had no internet to share it with others in the same boat. It was a great job - had its ups and downs of course so enjoy the ride it will be one hell of a roller coaster.:)

Long time snooper on this board, folks! Delighted to be heading in on the 8th. Should we assume that for the induction week that we won't be receiving our €184?

Can't believe the recruits are only getting €184 a week! Is that net after deducting meals/ accommodation at Templemore? We were getting more than that back in 1983.

Can't believe all the angst and hand wringing about the gear. All that was the last thing I was thinking of once I had all the stuff on the list. The rest I bought in Templemore.

• Advertisement

Wow, that's more expensive than the most expensive plan with VHI. What the hell?

What are the added benefits over VHI? Is it non profit?

The medical aid is a rip off for single guys - they subsidise the married guys heavily. I left the medical aid years ago as its much cheaper for me to get private health insurance. If I was married though I think the medical aid is fairly good and would consider it the best health insurance in the country.

Not saying how many are still there or not but long term I can't see many of these well qualified recruits sticking with the pay and conditions of AGS. Its amazing so many have even applied. Despite all the well intentioned dream job aspirations of these recruits the pay and conditions have been decimated and any serious upturn in the economy will see many up and leave.

It's finally time to move from the stage 5 thread to this thread!

It's finally time to move from the stage 5 thread to this thread!

congrats!

can you shine shoes?

ill expect to be able to see my face in them

youll be polishing mine for me - Junior man :cool::p

You'll have to continue to see your own face in em cause my face won't be anyway near your boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jmone

Hey lads, quick question for the recruits down there from the first batch. At what do you generally get off on a Friday? I'm trying to sort out some part time work that I hope to fit in on a Friday evening. A reply or PM would be greatly appreciated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

jmone wrote: »
    Hey lads, quick question for the recruits down there from the first batch. At what do you generally get off on a Friday? I'm trying to sort out some part time work that I hope to fit in on a Friday evening. A reply or PM would be greatly appreciated.
    5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jimjoebob09

People in college at the moment have any idea what kind of holidays they are gettin for Xmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

People in college at the moment have any idea what kind of holidays they are gettin for Xmas?

We have 24th-26th off (weds, thurs, fri) and 1st and 2nd of January off (thurs, fri) and I believe they are trying to accommodate a half day on new years eve but it's not confirmed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

teaisgreat wrote: »
    We have 24th-26th off (weds, thurs, fri) and 1st and 2nd of January off (thurs, fri) and I believe they are trying to accommodate a half day on new years eve but it's not confirmed.

Thats great time off. Didn't expect to get that much.

Advertisement