Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mickaleen

Would someone from the first intake like to share their wisdom for the following please, if you don't want to post on the forum would you PM me.

1. What to expect on day 1.
    2. What are the essentials we need to bring for week 1.
    3. Was everyone suited and booted on day 1.
    4. Can you nail the great debate, speedo's or swimming togs?

Seeing as we have less then 2 weeks to get our bits and pieces I'd appreciate any bit of advice please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LockieFF

mickaleen wrote: »
    Would someone from the first intake like to share their wisdom for the following please, if you don't want to post on the forum would be PM me.

Seeing as we have less then 2 weeks to get our bits and pieces I'd appreciate any bit of advice please?

I would appreciate some info on this too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭teaisgreat

Would someone from the first intake like to share their wisdom for the following please, if you don't want to post on the forum would you PM me.

Day 1: coffee morning with families followed by some intro talks in the lecture theatre.

Essentials: The list you get basically. Judo suit isn't v important, we still haven't used ours. Runners don't have to be white really, so don't worry about them just bring down your usual runners. Bring basic stationary and toiletries and you're good to go. You'll need money to buy a tracksuit too.

Suited and booted? Yes. Not everyone was in a full suit but everyone was smartly dressed and I would recommend a suit. I wouldn't worry about bringing down more than one suit. We were in tracksuits by Tuesday because induction week is all first aid, manual handling etc.

Swimming togs/shorts doesn't matter once its black/navy. You'll be graded on swimming ability and you'll have to buy a hat in the shop depending on which grade so I wouldn't worry too much about a swimming hat.

Thanks very much Teaisgreat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ShodenMcClane

Sorry lads/lasses, I've another question for ye; Does the orientation week count as one of the 32 weeks? My Sister's getting married at the start of August next year so I'm just trying to work out if it would fall in the two weeks off or not. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

Sorry lads/lasses, I've another question for ye; Does the orientation week count as one of the 32 weeks? My Sister's getting married at the start of August next year so I'm just trying to work out if it would fall in the two weeks off or not. Cheers!

Not 100% but I don't think it does. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere aswell that its unpaid. Could be wrong on that though.

No its not, week 1 won't be til the week after. And it is unpaid aswel I'm afraid.

teaisgreat wrote: »
    No its not, week 1 won't be til the week after. And it is unpaid aswel I'm afraid.

Thanks for that. One more question if anyone would indulge: Upon attestation how long is the probation period? It refers several times to the probationary period in the FAQ that we received but it does not specify how long it is. Cheers.

Thanks for that. One more question if anyone would indulge: Upon attestation how long is the probation period? It refers several times to the probationary period in the FAQ that we received but it does not specify how long it is. Cheers.

2 years from attestation. Then any pay increments for degree/leaving cert will kick in. YES they are still there as far as we've been told.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tmanb

Who cares about the faq when's the christmass party

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Jimjoebob09

To people in college at the moment, what's the story if someone has to go home midweek? Can you just be back I time for class in the morning or do you have to stay on campus every week night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Hi everyone, just a quick q. What time do people have to be back at on Sunday evenings? Thanks!

To people in college at the moment, what's the story if someone has to go home midweek? Can you just be back I time for class in the morning or do you have to stay on campus every week night?

There's no curfew at the moment so we can come and go as we please once we are here from 9-5. Whether it will stay like this or not, nobody knows.

With regards to doing up a cv, do we do it up outlying why we are right for the job or just list our education details, previous jobs held and a quick profile on ourselves?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

With regards to doing up a cv, do we do it up outlying why we are right for the job or just list our education details, previous jobs held and a quick profile on ourselves?

Do up a CV like any other - education details, previous jobs held and a quick profile.

If its like the last intake, we were never asked for our CVs or passport photos so I wouldn't worry too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Stephengriffin

I haven't been asked for a cv ??? And I'm in on the 8th ??

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Chirper

It says you have to bring it down on the day in the information pack.

Chirper wrote: »
    It says you have to bring it down on the day in the information pack.

What else does it say ?! I can't find that

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

What else does it say ?! I can't find that

Don't panic, we didn't need a CV at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

It should be stated on your info pack

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jimjoebob09

The decleration form we got in the info pack, are we supposed to send that away or just bring it with us on the 8th?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Treloh

Hank26 wrote: »
    It should be stated on your info pack

The 8th of when? Didn't realise there were more students being brought on board?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Treloh wrote: »
    The 8th of when? Didn't realise there were more students being brought on board?

December... Next Monday :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

The decleration form we got in the info pack, are we supposed to send that away or just bring it with us on the 8th?

What form would that be??

What form would that be??

The pension declaration form. I was wondering the same myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭higglepiggle

The pension declaration form. I was wondering the same myself.

Just found it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

What is the level of pay for new recruits? Is it true that it is only short term contracts that are offered?

mycro89 wrote: »
    What is the level of pay for new recruits? Is it true that it is only short term contracts that are offered?

Well it's in or around the 180€ a week mark

• Advertisement

Roll on next Monday...:D

Advertisement