Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Everytime

Hearing a lot of different things but just to clarify.. Is it swimming togs or speedos we need ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Everytime wrote: »
    Hearing a lot of different things but just to clarify.. Is it swimming togs or speedos we need ?

You don't need speedos but don't get holiday swimming shorts with mad flowers or bright colours on either. A navy pair of togs will do you. Don't forget flip flops too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Wait..the speedos are no longer required? That was like a right of passage/humiliation! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BluesAndThrees

Judo suit isn't a priority. We haven't used ours in months. Wouldn't be forking out when you need other things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Do those of you on the first 100 know when ye will be reporting to your stations [wherever they will be]? Or rather how long is the college term? Also the second 100 - i think from looking through this thread that the second 100 are now in the college too? - any idea when ye are due to leave the college? Is it a 6 or 9 month (for example) term?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It's a 32 week phase. We're due to finish up here at the end of April. The 24th ish by our calculations but this has yet to be officially confirmed.

The second hundred will be finishing up around mid-July - 24th ish aswell I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Thanks for that. There is 3000 new recruits needed not just the token 300 - but its a start i guess. Probably nearer to election time before they announce more recruitment. And that may well be sooner rather than later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

Anyone know, or can get the number of successful reserves that were in second group that started in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭whoahya

Everytime wrote: »

Im wondering the same thing. Mentioned quite a bit earlier on this thread, but its still not clear. Got a pair of speedo shorts a few days ago, but they might end up being returned. Anyone out there with any real knowledge on the matter?
    Turbo T wrote: »
    You don't need speedos but don't get holiday swimming shorts with mad flowers or bright colours on either. A navy pair of togs will do you. Don't forget flip flops too

Do you know this for certain, or is it a case of 'ah sure **** it, itll be grand'??

whoahya wrote: »
    Im wondering the same thing. Mentioned quite a bit earlier on this thread, but its still not clear. Got a pair of speedo shorts a few days ago, but they might end up being returned. Anyone out there with any real knowledge on the matter?

Do you know this for certain, or is it a case of 'ah sure **** it, itll be grand'??

I know for certain. You don't need speedos. Plain navy shorts is all you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Brownfox15

Lads just in regard to the first day you enter the college/bring the fam etc. Of your induction week... What are the line of events? Meet and greet kinda thing? are you assigned a room at first to leave your belongings or is there a number of talks or that first? Not long now !!!

Brownfox15 wrote: »
    Lads just in regard to the first day you enter the college/bring the fam etc. Of your induction week... What are the line of events? Meet and greet kinda thing? are you assigned a room at first to leave your belongings or is there a number of talks or that first? Not long now !!!

Only a few more days !

You could be met at the reception and brought to your room. You can leave your bags there and head down for a look around or food in the canteen.
    At the asigned time, folks go home and you head off.
    You can drive into the college on your first day. You can park on the square to unload your bits but you'll need to move the car to the golf course in the evening.
    Hope this helps abit.
    You excited

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Has anyone pissed in their sink yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

D Trent wrote: »

lol that is laughable now isn't it.. When are they gonna bother investing in the garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

carzony wrote: »
    lol that is laughable now isn't it.. When are they gonna bother investing in the garda?

Oh dear.... Well, the state really has our back though....

Edit/ The article doesn't say how many beds they're short. I'm curious, is it 5 beds or is it 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Brownfox15

Any talk down in the college from groups already in about the accomodation shortages the Mirror published today?? Same as Xios there 5 or 50 short?? Could the dates be changed if the offers are out? Hope not.. thatd be a kick in the rocks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Brownfox15 wrote: »
    Could the dates be changed if the offers are out? Hope not.. thatd be a kick in the rocks!!

I doubt it, the article says this is not the first time the College has been forced to seek outside accomodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bigbean

They couldn't I've handed in my notice, left my job and have a wife and kids.

I would blow the load if dates were changed now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

Xios wrote: »
    I doubt it, the article says this is not the first time the College has been forced to seek outside accomodation.

Garda recruits (students) having been staying out in homes around Templemore (Parish. Sent out as far Killea, Barnane, Clonmore) since the early 1990's until recruitment stopped in 2010! Michael 'Mick' O'Riordan (now retired) was in charge of sending the students out to the houses around the town.

There is enough room in the Garda College for the small intakes. The real issue is some of the accommodation blocks were left to essentially rot! As there was no upkeep they have become run down, damp, paint peeling because they were left without heating, cleaning and proper maintenance over that past few years. Why they are currently being refurbished and there is a lack of room at the moment for more new recruits.

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    Garda recruits (students) having been staying out in homes around Templemore (Parish. Sent out as far Killea, Barnane, Clonmore) since the early 1990's until recruitment stopped in 2010! Michael 'Mick' O'Riordan (now retired) was in charge of sending the students out to the houses around the town.

There is enough room in the Garda College for the small intakes. The real issue is some of the accommodation blocks were left to essentially rot! As there was no upkeep they have become run down, damp, paint peeling because they were left without heating, cleaning and proper maintenance over that past few years. Why they are currently being refurbished and there is a lack of room at the moment for more new recruits.

Refurbished?

Might mean they expect a huge increase in recruitment so :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I would not worry too much about not getting in - I and hundreds of others had to stay in a converted bank in Thurles for the first 4 months of my time in Templemore bacvk in 1983. We were driven in and out each day in a double decker bus with a lunatic driver who had the bus almost at 30 degrees going around bends.

The logic of giving everybody their own room was a bit short sighted. I had to share with three others - can't see why the same can't be done today.

carzony wrote: »
    Refurbished?

Might mean they expect a huge increase in recruitment so :p:p

They will only be required then for two months.

Shocking to let them get in that state in the first place considering the money was spent building the blocks.

I would not worry too much about not getting in - I and hundreds of others had to stay in a converted bank in Thurles for the first 4 months of my time in Templemore bacvk in 1983. We were driven in and out each day in a double decker bus with a lunatic driver who had the bus almost at 30 degrees going around bends.

The logic of giving everybody their own room was a bit short sighted. I had to share with three others - can't see why the same can't be done today.

You were in 1 of them tiny rooms with 3 others ?

Couldn't be doing that now. Sure we have a load of stuff with us. Laptops and all sorts. No way would you fit 4 lads and all their gear in a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elmalu

Are there separate blocks for females and males? Or is it all mixed?

Elmalu wrote: »
    Are there separate blocks for females and males? Or is it all mixed?

It'd have to be separate I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Seperate and if any males are caught in the females dorms or vice versa you can be expelled from the college

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Elmalu

billie1b wrote: »
    Seperate and if any males are caught in the females dorms or vice versa you can be expelled from the college
    Thanks, I thought it might be the case ;)

• Advertisement

billie1b wrote: »

Not always the case.

Some qualified lads too caught in female student dorms were just shifted and transferred out of the college. There have been a few incidents over the years and some scandal!

Advertisement