Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Rothmans wrote: »
    I suppose having a car would be pretty vital so. That's one thing I'll have to add to the shopping list so :p

Must get one myself, oh and a licence and lessons and all that... ;)

Actually, I wonder will those of us who don't drive be taught to when we're there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Ron DMC wrote: »

Actually, I wonder will those of us who don't drive be taught to when we're there?
    If they can't afford to hire more than 105 at a time they sure as hell won't be teaching you to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Ron DMC wrote: »

Yikes, looks like N plates for you unfortunately :(

I don't think so. I recall that there was a lot of controversy lately as only a minority of the current force were actually trained in emergency services driving.

EDIT: Out of interest, I wonder will many of our intake have driving licences?

D Trent wrote: »
    Yeah there's supposed to be a decent games room, big TV, pool tables etc.

Roscrea up the road has your Supermac's and McDonald's drive thru :)

Great stuff! It'll be just like the police academy movies so :p

Oh, I'm getting excited now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

I suppose having a car would be pretty vital so. That's one thing I'll have to add to the shopping list so :p

I am searching for a car myself. Public transport where I am is terrible. I have no option but to get a car. I am very worried though about the shopping list. I have no savings and no income at the moment and Ive got a mortgage to pay. Ive already had to take a loan out for car and I dont know how I am going to afford a laptop and all the clothing we must buy.

This is certainly going to be very tough on me and my family over the next while. Is anyone else feeling the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Try borrow a laptop or buy a refurbished/cheap one. Don't go mad paying 6/700 for one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Luckily i have one already but its blue. That should hardly make a difference though

Uniformity is a pretty big thing in the college, so unless everyone else is going to be wearing a blue suit, your gonna have to get a white one.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Uniformity is a pretty big thing in the college, so unless everyone else is going to be wearing a blue suit, your gonna have to get a white one.

I heard from someone who was there before that a load of people that did martial arts already had theirs. Ill be chancing my arm anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

I heard from someone who was there before that a load of people that did martial arts already had theirs. Ill be chancing my arm anyway.

If you had a white one already, id say that would be ok, but a completely different colour from the rest, they might not allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

I am searching for a car myself. Public transport where I am is terrible. I have no option but to get a car. I am very worried though about the shopping list. I have no savings and no income at the moment and Ive got a mortgage to pay. Ive already had to take a loan out for car and I dont know how I am going to afford a laptop and all the clothing we must buy.

This is certainly going to be very tough on me and my family over the next while. Is anyone else feeling the same?

There's plenty of computers in the college that you can use. You don't have to get a laptop straight away so put it to the bottom of your list. It's not worth putting yourself under pressure. I'd also say the credit unions will be doing "deals" on laptops where you pay weekly. It'll cost more in the long run but its better than being broke before you even get there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Does anyone with no transport need a lift up and down from Meath area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Great stuff! It'll be just like the police academy movies so :p

Oh, I'm getting excited now :D

Nino's in Patrick St is still open, use to get great business from the college in the past and also have Tracys in Main St. The train station in Templemore is still open for anyone that needs public transport. New cinema in Thurles shopping centre isn't that far from the town. Have Pollys right outside the gate for any matches etc

Jaysis make sure you get a diesel whatever you do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

White karate suit only. Every bit of sports kit you need they sell - there is a shop on campus. They used to do a pretty good deal on asics trainers. Suit and tie for the lads, suit for the lasses, it will only be for a short while - used to be for about 2 months when there was huge intakes but i'd say ye will be sorted within a few weeks. Don't go buying loads of smart clothes - one suit with a few shirts will do fine. And yes, they do mean speedos, not shorts!!!

Jaysis make sure you get a diesel whatever you do

Haha I'll be getting whatever my limited funds can afford ha. I've been looking at insurance quotes lately. Has anyone else noticed that they insist on asking you to tell them your sex even though it's illegal for them to make premiums more expensive for males now

Haha I'll be getting whatever my limited funds can afford ha. I've been looking at insurance quotes lately. Has anyone else noticed that they insist on asking you to tell them your sex even though it's illegal for them to make premiums more expensive for males now
    Yeah they'll give some other excuse for it sneaky yokes. What age are you ? They still discriminate against younger drivers

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    White karate suit only. Every bit of sports kit you need they sell - there is a shop on campus. They used to do a pretty good deal on asics trainers. Suit and tie for the lads, suit for the lasses, it will only be for a short while - used to be for about 2 months when there was huge intakes but i'd say ye will be sorted within a few weeks. Don't go buying loads of smart clothes - one suit with a few shirts will do fine. And yes, they do mean speedos, not shorts!!!

really???? Speedos?? Mother of god they are shocking!!! Answers my question about the martial arts suit anyway. Thanks

really???? Speedos?? Mother of god they are shocking!!! Answers my question about the martial arts suit anyway. Thanks

Sure galalala don't give me that didn't I see you in speedos up in Westmanstown last week you love the yokes.
    Body of Tom Daley on you

Sure galalala don't give me that didn't I see you in speedos up in Westmanstown last week you love the yokes.
    Body of Tom Daley on you

More tom jones than tom daley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

I'm still smiling. I still can't believe. I know I'm in and starting but I just can't get my head around it. Hell yea

• Advertisement

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    And yes, they do mean speedos, not shorts!!!

I hope not. There is no mention of Speedos in the list. It just specifies navy swimming togs. Im sure swimming shorts would be acceptable!?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

redsurfer wrote: »
    I'm still smiling. I still can't believe. I know I'm in and starting but I just can't get my head around it. Hell yea

It's gonna be weeks before this smile goes. Although by then it'll be time to head down and it'll start all over again

I hope not. There is no mention of Speedos in the list. It just specifies navy swimming togs. Im sure swimming shorts would be acceptable!?

Nope. Its speedos all the way I'm afraid!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

There is a lot to get thinking of it now to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

It would be easier and hassle free to just do as instructed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Does anyone know if there is laundry facilities that trainees can use in templemore? I don't fancy spending all free weekends at it.

Hank26 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is laundry facilities that trainees can use in templemore? I don't fancy spending all free weekends at it.

There's none in the college. There is a launderette in the town.

For anyone who needs a laptop for Templemore, here is a great deal. It comes installed with Microsoft Office and is Windows 8 touchscreen. It only costs 299euro. Not bad at all. Have a look!! I'm gona buy it.

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/hp-pavilion-touchsmart-10e011sa-101-touchscreen-laptop/317054/104.9

WilcoOut wrote: »
    It would be easier and hassle free to just do as instructed!!

I actually havent been instructed beacuse i didn't receive my info pack yet. Was just trying to cut on all the costs that i could seeing as i have a few already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

I actually havent been instructed beacuse i didn't receive my info pack yet. Was just trying to cut on all the costs that i could seeing as i have a few already.

Edit: It does state white suit.

Advertisement