Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

Turbo T wrote: »
    You were in 1 of them tiny rooms with 3 others ?

Couldn't be doing that now. Sure we have a load of stuff with us. Laptops and all sorts. No way would you fit 4 lads and all their gear in a room.

You should have stayed in the accommodation before the 90's when it was the Garda Training Centre. Those are the modern accommodation blocks ye are in today. All were rebuilt in the early 1990's and the other block added at the front to your right of the main gate in the late 90's/early 00's.

Lovely grey wool blankets on the beds back then from the 1960's. A single desk & 4 to a room. Sergeant Liam Wall as your drill instructor. The best there ever was!

Block one and the other on the far side to be refurbhised. Oh they have to make sure the officers block is being refurbished though. :rolleyes:

The glass eyesore monster of a building at the back of the college and in service training over in the Abbey Court hotel in Nenagh. The proposed firearms and advanced driving centre on the €5.5 million purchased site way out in Clonmore abandoned. Talk about wasting money over the years and then not enough money for larger recruitment numbers or to maintain the upkeep of the college (blocks)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

I can't get over the 4 to a room. How did yous manage. 1 desk between 4. Crazy stuff.
    The rooms over along the main section are even smaller than our rooms now.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

Only 22 weeks training those days as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Is the judo suit available in the Garda college shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    Lovely grey wool blankets on the beds back then from the 1960's. A single desk & 4 to a room. Sergeant Liam Wall as your drill instructor. The best there ever was!

I was talking to my sister in law's dad, he said there was a legendary drill instructor back in the old days in templemore, I think it could've been Liam Wall.

He told me that Liam W. was in the Irish volunteers in the same unit as the sis in laws father. That the same guy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭whoahya

Did anyone who got the email about bank details & uniform sizing notice that is says the forms must be returned by Friday the 15th?
    Seeing as Thursday is the 15th, Im going to assume they mean it must be returned by Friday, the 16th...

whoahya wrote: »
    Did anyone who got the email about bank details & uniform sizing notice that is says the forms must be returned by Friday the 15th?
    Seeing as Thursday is the 15th, Im going to assume they mean it must be returned by Friday, the 16th...

Send it back as soon as you have it done. Don't leave it till Thursday or Friday. It takes all of 5mins to sort that info.

See you guys soon

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Happyturtle00

I'm just filling in the forms now. What is our "reg number". I have a few numbers relating to me and have no idea which one it's meant to be. Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

I'm just filling in the forms now. What is our "reg number". I have a few numbers relating to me and have no idea which one it's meant to be. Thanks for the help!

Leave reg no. blank.

I feel kind of silly asking, but on the list of stuff we have to get, does 'suit of plain clothes and shoes' mean like a suit and tie??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 bigbean

I feel kind of silly asking, but on the list of stuff we have to get, does 'suit of plain clothes and shoes' mean like a suit and tie??

Yup , by plain they mean no crests or colourful yokes ( Johnny logan look a likes )

It does indeed. Bit of a weird way to describe a suit and tie though. Ha.
    We'll only have to wear it for the first day anyway from what the others are saying. Tracksuit then for the rest of the week.

madbadger wrote: »
    It does indeed. Bit of a weird way to describe a suit and tie though. Ha.
    We'll only have to wear it for the first day anyway from what the others are saying. Tracksuit then for the rest of the week.

Tracksuits the 1st week and then suits there after until uniforms come. Could be a few weeks in suits for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Your reg number or registration number will be assigned to you by the college. This will be the number you will be identifiable by for the rest of your career with AGS - it will be unique to you and you will put it on every report and correspondence you will ever write in work..

Hank26 wrote: »
    Is the judo suit available in the Garda college shop?

I think you can get them in the college shop, but anyone who still needs one check out sports direct. They have one reduced from 50 somthong euro to 14.40 and you can get a further 20% off by using code IRE20 at the checkout, see link below. I got one and its actually really good. Delivery was 4 days :

http://ie.sportsdirect.com/lonsdale-judo-suit-mens--632153?colcode=63215301

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Flynners89

Hi guys got the call from HR today to say starting on the 26th aswel, delighted :) . Just wondering about the first pay. Girl on phone said we don't get paid for the induction week . Is the first pay day the following Thursday the 5th of Feb or the following Thurs again the 12th? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

I think you can get them in the college shop, but anyone who still needs one check out sports direct. They have one reduced from 50 somthong euro to 14.40 and you can get a further 20% off by using code IRE20 at the checkout, see link below. I got one and its actually really good. Delivery was 4 days :

Thanks for your response.
    I'll be ordering mine tonight at that price, thanks again.

Judo suits are available in the college shop but don't worry about them just yet. You won't be needing them for a number of weeks.

I think you can get them in the college shop, but anyone who still needs one check out sports direct. They have one reduced from 50 somthong euro to 14.40 and you can get a further 20% off by using code IRE20 at the checkout, see link below. I got one and its actually really good. Delivery was 4 days

Thanks a mill for the heads up ! Can you explain the sizing it says 160 or 170?

bigbean wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for the heads up ! Can you explain the sizing it says 160 or 170?

Its cm. Saying that they do fit a little big. Im 180cm (5ft 10in) and i got the 170. Fits perfectly.

• Advertisement

Its cm. Saying that they do fit a little big. Im 180cm (5ft 10in) and i got the 170. Fits perfectly.

What you think about getting 170 if I'm 190cm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Turbo T wrote: »
    I can't get over the 4 to a room. How did yous manage. 1 desk between 4. Crazy stuff.
    The rooms over along the main section are even smaller than our rooms now.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing :)

I only spent time in my dorm when sleeping getting ready for the day etc. There were prefab classrooms at the back - around where all the new buildings are at the back now. I spent a lot of time there in the evenings studying or in the recreation hall. We had another prefab which was a tv lounge.

To be honest I loved it the old way and never quite liked the modernisation job but I suppose it was progress.

Recall Sgt Wall too - an eccentric somewhat volatile character that you had to be careful with. But then there were plenty like him in those days at the college.

bigbean wrote: »
    What you think about getting 170 if I'm 190cm?

It might be a bit short. Saying that, you could give it a shot for the sake of 12€. They have good deals on other gear too, shorts, baselayers etc. I cant remember what shipping costs, think its around 7 euro. But if you're getting a bit of stuff its well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Anyone wanna post up the checklist, i've misplaced my documents somewhere in me house which i'll dig up asap. But need to know if I'm missing anything critical that i can get this week.

Xios wrote: »
    Anyone wanna post up the checklist, i've misplaced my documents somewhere in me house which i'll dig up asap. But need to know if I'm missing anything critical that i can get this week.

just pm'd you the list :)

teaisgreat wrote: »
    No its not, week 1 won't be til the week after. And it is unpaid aswel I'm afraid.

so we dont get paid for the first two weeks?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

so we dont get paid for the first two weeks?

First week is pro-bono. Second week is technically your first week and therefore is your lay-week.

First week is pro-bono. Second week is technically your first week and therefore is your lay-week.

by lay-week, do you mean week in hand?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

by lay-week, do you mean week in hand?

Yup.

• Advertisement

Yup.

Thanks a lot :)

Advertisement