Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Flynners89

Does anyone know how much the track suits and shoes cost in the College shop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Flynners89 wrote: »

If you ring the college, ask to be put through to the shop and the person who works in the shop will be able to tell you exactly how much each thing costs... track suits, shoes, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keanoshane87

Hey what's the story with accommodation for the 26th jan intake. Is all the talk of no space relevant to us or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Hey what's the story with accommodation for the 26th jan intake. Is all the talk of no space relevant to us or not?

There will be room for you alright. Don't worry. As long as you don't mind sharing. Bunk beds were brought in there this afternoon.

Only messing. Should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 keanoshane87

Turbo T wrote: »
    There will be room for you alright. Don't worry. As long as you don't mind sharing. Bunk beds were brought in there this afternoon.

Only messing. Should be grand.

Good stuff. Any activity on college sports teams there yet? Gaa or soccer?

• Advertisement

Good stuff. Any activity on college sports teams there yet? Gaa or soccer?

There's a gaa team. Not enough numbers for much else

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Flynners89 wrote: »

Think i remember someone posting here before that the tracksuit & parade shoes will set you back around €160-180.
    Can anyone confirm?

madbadger wrote: »
    Think i remember someone posting here before that the tracksuit & parade shoes will set you back around €160-180.
    Can anyone confirm?

That's about right yes. Have about €200 set aside for that. It won't be the full amount but if you wanted an extra polo shirt or shorts at least you have the funds.

When you get your parade shoes, wear them as much as you can to break them in because they are sore and you don't want to be putting them on for the first time on the morning of parade. You'll be cut to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Flynners89

Got judo suit, swimming togs and gum
    shields on sports direct last night for €38 including delivery. Think St Pauls Credit Union will be getting a visit the first week ����

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

So, I assume we should go down before monday and buy all the kit from the shop? Or do they take orders and put the kit aside for you? Also, would the shop be open on weekends?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Xios wrote: »
    So, I assume we should go down before monday and buy all the kit from the shop? Or do they take orders and put the kit aside for you? Also, would the shop be open on weekends?

I dont think theres any need to go down in advance. Just wear your suit the first day. They'll tell us what we need to get.

You're allocated time on your timetable to go to the shop to get what you need in the beginning. Dont panic. No, shop is closed at the weekends.

Turbo T wrote: »
    You're allocated time on your timetable to go to the shop to get what you need in the beginning. Dont panic. No, shop is closed at the weekends.

Ok cool, was thinkin of making the trip down during the week, but i'll wait on it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

Other than for personal use, will we need a laptop for the induction week?

Hank26 wrote: »
    Other than for personal use, will we need a laptop for the induction week?

I'm not sure, I went ahead and got a nice laptop off adverts though, needed an upgrade from my old one, which was barely holding together.

If you are looking for something cheap, i'd recommend trying to get a laptop with an MS Office licence with it and at least 4gb of RAM, I think using MS Word is needed for the course... or am I wrong?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I think using MS Word is needed for the course... or am I wrong?

Word, excel and powerpoint all essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ShadowLFC

Hey I'm due to start in the college on the 26th and I was wondering can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to get a pack detailing the items I need to buy like a judo suit, show polish etc. because the only info I got so far was the little pack with the job offer in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Brownfox15

ShadowLFC wrote: »
    Hey I'm due to start in the college on the 26th and I was wondering can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to get a pack detailing the items I need to buy like a judo suit, show polish etc. because the only info I got so far was the little pack with the job offer in it.

Thats what we all got! Should have been a A4 page with a list of items you will need to get/have, info on Garda Rankings, Q&A sheet and Pension info.

Brownfox15 wrote: »
    Thats what we all got! Should have been a A4 page with a list of items you will need to get/have, info on Garda Rankings, Q&A sheet and Pension info.

Ok thanks, I think I must be missing the "students requirements" page because I have the Q&A sheet and pension info but apart from the page telling me to bring my cv, certs and p45 I don't have anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Brownfox15

Ok thanks, I think I must be missing the "students requirements" page because I have the Q&A sheet and pension info but apart from the page telling me to bring my cv, certs and p45 I don't have anything else

Sounds it alright mate, be worth ringing HRM tomorrow even just to email it on to you!

Rang College during week €110 for trackies, poloshirt etc. €70 parade shoes but wont need them straight away! This day week... not long now!

• Advertisement

Brownfox15 wrote: »
    Sounds it alright mate, be worth ringing HRM tomorrow even just to email it on to you!

Rang College during week €110 for trackies, poloshirt etc. €70 parade shoes but wont need them straight away! This day week... not long now!

Ha I know it's mad isn't it, cant wait to get down there and get started!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Snowblizzard

Just wondering..how strict are they on the "predominantly white" runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Everytime

For the casual clothes outside college hours, are they strict ? Not that I dress inappropriate but it would be tacksuit's, hoodies, runners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Treloh

You'll get everything down there. If you already have a judo suit and good runners (not black) then save your money you will not need to buy them, just do not say anything. Trust me on this, as long as the runners are not converse or "going out" runners that is. Alternatively just ring the collage and ask for the S/P school (school/probationer), they are usually very helpful. Don't go mad buying hoodies and rugby jackets etc on the first day, you don't need them and are nt compulsory, the hoodies are nice and warm but you can buy them anytime rather than blow a load of money the first day unnecessarily.
    As for polish, You will have to buy shoes in the college shop for parade, they are good quality and won't need polish for a long time, but DO get a shining sponge for them, they can be got in any shop, lidl have good ones

Treloh wrote: »
    You'll get everything down there. If you already have a judo suit and good runners (not black) then save your money you will not need to buy them, just do not say anything. Trust me on this, as long as the runners are not converse or "going out" runners that is. Alternatively just ring the collage and ask for the S/P school (school/probationer), they are usually very helpful. Don't go mad buying hoodies and rugby jackets etc on the first day, you don't need them and are nt compulsory, the hoodies are nice and warm but you can buy them anytime rather than blow a load of money the first day unnecessarily.
    As for polish, You will have to buy shoes in the college shop for parade, they are good quality and won't need polish for a long time, but DO get a shining sponge for them, they can be got in any shop, lidl have good ones

Cheers thanks for the info, very helpful!

Just wondering..how strict are they on the "predominantly white" runners?

They aren't. But things can change. Don't buy white ones unless/until you're told. Plenty of us use non-white trainers.
    Everytime wrote: »
    For the casual clothes outside college hours, are they strict ? Not that I dress inappropriate but it would be tacksuit's, hoodies, runners etc.

Not strict in the slightest. Anything goes although it's not really the weather for mankinis.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

Can anyone tell us what the WiFi coverage in Templemore is like? Does it extend to dorms? Is it slow? or good enough to stream Netflix etc.? Recommend getting a "dongle" from Vodafone or Three??

Also, what's a"typical" day look like? What time is breakfast, lunch, dinner, first class, last class??

Any tips on what "home comforts" to bring??!

Very much looking forward to joining you all!!!

Wifi is good more or less throughout the entire campus with all sleeping and social areas well-served in particular. Netflix etc. is no problem for the most part.

Breakfast served from 7:45 to 8:45, class runs 9 to 5 with an hour for lunch at either 12 or 1. This is your dinner (main meal). Tea (small meal) is served at 5. You get a break morning and afternoon aswell for tea/coffee.

As for home comforts, only you will know what they could be. Some lads brought lots, others little. Some even brought their own bedclothes and pillows. I would say come down with the basics and as the weeks go by you'll figure out what you want with you. As we're being moved out to make room for you lot, many of us are faced with a hefty moving operation on Friday because they accumulated so much stuff. Worth bearing in mind down the line if recruitment continues after your phase at the same pace.

I'd recommend a very small 'first aid' kit. Deep heat, plasters, strapping, pain-killers or whatever. You'll pick up the odd tweak here and there naturally either in PE or while training yourself. Most is available in the shop but I keep a stash as the shop closes at 5:30.

Bring tea bags for the evenings if you take tea.

Oh and possibly a sponge/spray one might bleach a sink with on day 1 for reasons probably not worth mentioning.

Pretty much all of the above really. Great info. You could bring loads of stuff on the first day/week and end up not needing some stuff.

Bear in mind, you will only be at home for 1 full day (sat) so most of your stuff will be here.

Tea bags are a must ! Hot water is easy to come by but tea bags are less so.

Protein tubs. Defo. I've found a lack of protein in the grub so get in the extra where you can. It will help you.

Lidl isn't all that far either so don't worry about bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Treloh

And bring good toilet tissue, your bum will thank you for it.
    Bring a cheap kettle aswell it'll come in handy, pick one up in Tesco for €10.
    You'll be able to "borrow" cups and stuff from the kitchen and have a spare pot noodle or two in case the hunger hits in the evening, or loads of fruit/cereal. Don't be worried about the first week anyway it'll fly and you'll know exactly what you will need after that.
    A flatscreen and ps4 (easily hidden under the bed for inspections) always come in handy.

I heard a rumour, anyone know if the newbies don't need to stay in for the phases and can go home without singing out?

Advertisement