Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Are the people starting Monday staying in the college or are they based around the area in houses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

n32 wrote: »
    Are the people starting Monday staying in the college or are they based around the area in houses?
    Newbies get rooms in the college
    Some of the current students have moved into digs nearby the college I suppose they can be trusted to behave more at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

D Trent wrote: »
    Newbies get rooms in the college
    Some of the current students have moved into digs nearby the college I suppose they can be trusted to behave more at this stage

You "suppose". Sure we'll see.

Plenty of room for the new people now.

I know it's been covered before but I haven't time to read back through the thread. Is the 11am start tomorrow compulsory or will any to time between 11 and 2 be ok?

n32 wrote: »
    I know it's been covered before but I haven't time to read back through the thread. Is the 11am start tomorrow compulsory or will any to time between 11 and 2 be ok?

Anytime between 11 and 2. As long as you're in before 2 you're ok.

Drive into the college aswell when you first arrive. You can park on the square on the right while you unload all your bags. You'll be asked to move it around to the golf club later in the evening.

• Advertisement

Turbo T wrote: »
    Anytime between 11 and 2. As long as you're in before 2 you're ok.

Drive into the college aswell when you first arrive. You can park on the square on the right while you unload all your bags. You'll be asked to move it around to the golf club later in the evening.
    Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Everytime

What time are most people heading down there tomorrow ? Early around 11 or closer to the 2 mark ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

I'm heading down early, the parents are eager to get down and look around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Any word on stations yet and when the first wave of new recruits start in the the real world?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Blaireness

Gerry G wrote: »
    Any word on stations yet and when the first wave of new recruits start in the the real world?

No word yet... We're all waiting for news! But as far as we know, we'll be starting in stations the week of the 11th of May :)

• Advertisement

Blaireness wrote: »
    No word yet... We're all waiting for news! But as far as we know, we'll be starting in stations the week of the 11th of May :)

I'm presuming you're in the second intake?? When does the first new intake hit the streets?

I'm presuming you're in the second intake?? When does the first new intake hit the streets?

Nope 1st intake

2nd intake won't be operational until August.

Blaireness wrote: »
    Nope 1st intake

Really? I had heard that the first intake were coming out in February. Is it not meant to be 6 months training in the college then off out to stations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Really? I had heard that the first intake were coming out in February. Is it not meant to be 6 months training in the college then off out to stations?

8 months in the college (32 weeks), then a weeks holidays I believe and into the stations after that

It's a new course and quite different to the old way of doing things. College for 32 weeks, then attestation, 2 weeks off, into stations and on probabation for 2 years.

You can read more about the training we go through now here: http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=181&Lang=1

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Whats gonna be the net monthly pay for recruits?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

WhiteWalls wrote: »

going by the GRA break down, year one will be €1600

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

EveAlex wrote: »
    going by the GRA break down, year one will be €1600

Thanks, that's not bad. Thought it would be worse

I currently net €650 a month in the college, so €1600 is like winning the lotto!

• Advertisement

This page has all the details if you're curious.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Pay

Xios wrote: »
    This page has all the details if you're curious.
    http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Pay

and rent allowance is gone for new entrants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Jaysis idn't he the gas man

D Trent wrote: »
    Jaysis idn't he the gas man

yup, loads of words of encouragement for the young new recruits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

yup, loads of words of encouragement for the young new recruits

Sure he wants them to vote for him next year ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

carzony wrote: »
    Sure he wants them to vote for him next year ;);)

Was anything said for those stuck in the system? Will an update be given ?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

mycro89 wrote: »
    Was anything said for those stuck in the system? Will an update be given ?

Mad for the updates !

I currently net €650 a month in the college, so €1600 is like winning the lotto!

Until you have to start paying rent of course

Minimum wage is €1460 per month. The new recruits wages will be slightly more. I think it's a joke considering the role they're taking on in current times

• Advertisement

Minimum wage is €1460 per month. The new recruits wages will be slightly more. I think it's a joke considering the role they're taking on in current times

When you factor in things like allowances, the 34 days of annual leave, the paid for training and education specific to the role and the numerous career options within the role, the start wage isn't so bad. Especially since it increases rather quickly.

If you have a degree already, you're looking at 34-35 thousand a year after you've completed your two years of trianing.

Advertisement