Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Xios wrote: »
    When you factor in things like allowances, the 34 days of annual leave, the paid for training and education specific to the role and the numerous career options within the role, the start wage isn't so bad. Especially since it increases rather quickly.

If you have a degree already, you're looking at 34-35 thousand a year after you've completed your two years of trianing.

My present job at the moment gave me €35k walking in the door, not a job you need a degree for, its a big drop for some people, especially the role the job entails

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

When you factor in things like allowances, the 34 days of annual leave, the paid for training and education specific to the role and the numerous career options within the role, the start wage isn't so bad. Especially since it increases rather quickly.

If you have a degree already, you're looking at 34-35 thousand a year after you've completed your two years of trianing.

34-35k after two years? Are you serious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I'm pretty sure the allowance/extra starting salary for having a previous degree is gone?
    Plus it's kind of discrimination

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

D Trent wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the allowance/extra starting salary for having a previous degree is gone?
    Plus it's kind of discrimination

It's not. Degree increments are still in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭whoahya

are you sure about the degree improving your pay by that much?
    is there anywhere we could get this info?
    cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

And rightly so. The idea of it is to make joining a realistic option to qualified people with different career paths already working in good paid jobs, thus bringing people with a wider range of life experience and knowledge into the force. Not just oh you went to college fair play to ya here's more money.

While most people think its unfair in there own mind that people who just decide to join get in, and people who are fixed on joining all there lives and have done nothing else but focus on that dont. The main reason i see that happening is because the people who are fixated on joining havent gone out and lived and gained a bit of life experience where as someone who only decides at 27 they want to they have good life experience and a wider mindset and have done and tried and focused on different things.

They are the people that will be good for the force and will shine at interview. Lets face it there are loads of recommendations of what to do to look better at interview like joining reserves or community service and loads more but the best thing you could do is get out there and live try different things meet different people live somewhere different and make yourself a better person and you will make a better garda and increase your chances Then you can go and do all the community service ect.

Too many young people are fixated with just the gards and reserves and all that and are just too narrow minded in my opinion to be a good garda and dont realise it and that will show in the interview. Its sad to see people on here fixated with bands and news that might never come there is nothing you can do to make it go quiker or make it happen faster. The only thing you can do is get out there embrace the chance you have to do something different even tho you might not want to and get more life experience it will all stand to you.

Looking at this day in day out is decreasing your chances if anything your not getting and better by frustration yourself looking at this and being too obsesed with it. Go out and create a plan b because the gards can be a lottery you might not win. If you want it that much work for it but go out and do something while you are waiting for it and as mad as it sounds try and forget about it while your waiting. If your day comes and your asked in an interview what have you been doing for the last 5 years, 'trying to get into the gards' is not a good answer, they dont care how much you want it you have to be able to show how you will be good at it by life experience and not narrow mindedness(if that is a word).

Before anyone says it i know its not easy if its the only thing you want i was there, i was the narrow minded 18/19/20 year old looking at this sh**e day in day out focusing on nothing else but how to get through the recruitment process wishing the years would go quicker till it started again. The embargo was one of the best things in my opinion and ill make a better gard for the time it gave me to live and even realise why i want to be one. Sorry for the long post. It will come just dont wait for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

That is the best piece of advice I have seen on this. I can relate to alot of what you said. Especially the part about the recruitment embargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

thekopend wrote: »
    And rightly so. The idea of it is to make joining a realistic option to qualified people with different career paths already working in good paid jobs, thus bringing people with a wider range of life experience and knowledge into the force. Not just oh you went to college fair play to ya here's more money.

While most people think its unfair in there own mind that people who just decide to join get in, and people who are fixed on joining all there lives and have done nothing else but focus on that dont. The main reason i see that happening is because the people who are fixated on joining havent gone out and lived and gained a bit of life experience where as someone who only decides at 27 they want to they have good life experience and a wider mindset and have done and tried and focused on different things.

They are the people that will be good for the force and will shine at interview. Lets face it there are loads of recommendations of what to do to look better at interview like joining reserves or community service and loads more but the best thing you could do is get out there and live try different things meet different people live somewhere different and make yourself a better person and you will make a better garda and increase your chances Then you can go and do all the community service ect.

Too many young people are fixated with just the gards and reserves and all that and are just too narrow minded in my opinion to be a good garda and dont realise it and that will show in the interview. Its sad to see people on here fixated with bands and news that might never come there is nothing you can do to make it go quiker or make it happen faster. The only thing you can do is get out there embrace the chance you have to do something different even tho you might not want to and get more life experience it will all stand to you.

Looking at this day in day out is decreasing your chances if anything your not getting and better by frustration yourself looking at this and being too obsesed with it. Go out and create a plan b because the gards can be a lottery you might not win. If you want it that much work for it but go out and do something while you are waiting for it and as mad as it sounds try and forget about it while your waiting. If your day comes and your asked in an interview what have you been doing for the last 5 years, 'trying to get into the gards' is not a good answer, they dont care how much you want it you have to be able to show how you will be good at it by life experience and not narrow mindedness(if that is a word).

Before anyone says it i know its not easy if its the only thing you want i was there, i was the narrow minded 18/19/20 year old looking at this sh**e day in day out focusing on nothing else but how to get through the recruitment process wishing the years would go quicker till it started again. The embargo was one of the best things in my opinion and ill make a better gard for the time it gave me to live and even realise why i want to be one. Sorry for the long post. It will come just dont wait for it.

Very good post, are you a student or still within the system at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

absolutely spot on by kopend there,

very good and accurate post,

good stuff

getting 35k after two years in the job is utter nonsense, don't care how well qualified you are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

are you saying it s not true or that its too high pay?

Canyon86 wrote: »
    are you saying it s not true or that its too high pay?

Its simply not true, public sector increments are not near this. The starting salary is not even 24k starting off and he is saying it will increase by 10k in two years? Wishful thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

whoahya wrote: »
    are you sure about the degree improving your pay by that much?
    is there anywhere we could get this info?
    cheers!

http://www.gra.cc/faq.shtml is the degree info.

In this image, look at year 2, add on 3 increments. Brings you to year 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭whoahya

Thanks a lot. I hope this is true and that it doesnt change : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Thats the old information. The GRA site has not updated its pay information since 2007. All those numbers are incorrect; And the increments for having a degree while yes it increased pay initially, it slowed it down then and everyone ends up on the same salary!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

The GRA told us the increments are still in place and kick in after 2 years when probation is passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Turbo T wrote: »
    The GRA told us the increments are still in place and kick in after 2 years when probation is passed.

So what's gone and what stays in relation to allowances??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭kjbsrah1

Turbo T wrote: »

Increments may well be in place, but the media tell us that the starting wages for trainee / probationer Gardaí are less than what it used to be. I am not in the college - those that in the college will be best able to say what the actual starting salary is/will be. Can't imagine earning less than the peanuts we currently get! Maybe someone is in a position to give an honest answer to what the starting wages actually will be? Just curious is all, so fair enough is no-one wants to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    Thats the old information. The GRA site has not updated its pay information since 2007. All those numbers are incorrect; And the increments for having a degree while yes it increased pay initially, it slowed it down then and everyone ends up on the same salary!

I didn't get it form the GRA, I got it from the Department of Justice. It is the Post Haddington Road Agreement pay scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭pah

Don't forget allowances for nights and weekends paid once every four weeks. This adds about 25% average to your yearly pay. So starting on 24k + 6k for allowances will bring you over 30k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

pah wrote: »
    Don't forget allowances for nights and weekends paid once every four weeks. This adds about 25% average to your yearly pay. So starting on 24k + 6k for allowances will bring you over 30k

6k in allowances? i dont think so

could you offer us a break down of these so we may understand what the 6k constitutes

cheers!

TBH I couldn't be arsed.

I worked it out years ago for my mortgage application and it averaged round 25%.
    While the rate of pay has been reduced I think the percentages should remain the same. If I get some spare time I'll trya nd do the figures.

What's the starting rate for probationers now?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

pah wrote: »
    TBH I couldn't be arsed.

I worked it out years ago for my mortgage application and it averaged round 25%.
    While the rate of pay has been reduced I think the percentages should remain the same. If I get some spare time I'll trya nd do the figures.

What's the starting rate for probationers now?

cheers - it would of great benefit to us as we dont have a clue ourselves

starting money is €23,171

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

EveAlex wrote: »

I posted this a while back. Might help some.
    wrote:
    I’ve tried to work out 3 rosters of pay based on the new recruits pay. Tax is based on a single person with no dependents. I didn’t include any extra tax credits and I didn’t include OT as this will vary greatly from person to person and week to week. The figures I came up with might give you an idea of what to expect but don’t take them as gospel, I could be way off. I did not include Medical Aid or GRA subs as that will be up to each individual.

Each roster contains 3 flat cheques and one “big” cheque.

ROST 1:

Flat Cheque:
    €371.77 x 3 = €1115.31

Big Cheque:
    Boot + Uniform Allowance.
    16 Hrs Sunday
    107 Hrs Night Duty
    6 Hrs 6pm-8pm
    2 x Saturdays.
    €605.50

Total for the 4 weeks: €1720.81

ROST 2:

Flat Cheque:
    €371.77 x 3 = €1115.31

Big Cheque:
    16 Hrs Sunday
    78 Hrs Night Duty
    4 Hrs 6pm-8pm
    2 x Saturdays.
    €574.19

Total for the 4 weeks: €1689.50

ROST 3:

Flat Cheque:
    €371.77 x 3 = €1115.31

Big Cheque:
    24 Hrs Sunday
    58 Hrs Night Duty
    16 Hrs 6pm-8pm
    3 x Saturdays.
    €601.44

Total for the 4 weeks: €1716.75

Like I said don’t treat this as gospel and start banking on it. I don’t know how reliable the tax calculator I used is. I based it on Gross pay of €23,000 as I couldn’t remember the exact starting pay.
    If you want to work out your own situation based on your tax credits it’s easy enough to do. St. Raphaels have an app that shows you the roster and the GRA website will show you exactly how to calculate your allowances.

EveAlex wrote: »

So Basic pay is €445.60 p.w. for working out allowances.

It's more difficult to work out allowances now on the 10 week roster as you still get paid your allowances every 4 weeks. It used to be a 4 week roster and all the earlies lates and nights were at the same time. That being the case I think I'll have to work out the allowances for 10 weeks and multiply by 5 to give an approximation for the year.

SO.. First of all, Night duty

All rates are here

Night duty paid at 2 different rates

Night1 - 18:00 - 20:00 calculated from the link above as €1.81 p.h.

Night2 - 20:00 - 08:00 calculated from the link above as €2.72 p.h.

Saturday Allowance is €15.02

Sunday rate is €89.12

So,

Earlies are 07:00 to 17:00 Mon - Fri Value - €2.72 (1 hour Night2)
    07:00 to 17:00 Sat - Value - €17.74 (1 hour Night2 + Sat)
    07:00 to 15:00 Sun - Value - €91.84 (1 hour Night2 + Sun)

Lates are 12:00 to 22:00 Mon - Wed - Value - €9.06 (2 hours Night1 + 2 hours Night2)
    15:00 to 01:00 Thurs - Value - €17.22 (2 hours Night1 + 5 hours Night2)
    17:00 to 03:00 Fri - Value - €22.66 (2 hours Night1 + 7 hours Night2)
    17:00 to 03:00 Sat - Value - €37.68 (2 hours Night1 + 7 hours Night2 + Sat)
    15:00 to 23:00 Sun - Value - €100.90 (2 hours Night1 + 3 hours Night2 + Sun)

Nights are 21:00 to 07:00 Mon-Fri - Value - €27.20 (10 hours Night2)
    21:00 to 07:00 Sat - Value - €42.22 (10 hours Night2 + Sat)
    23:00 to 07:00 Sun - Value - €110.88 (8 hours Night2 + Sun)

Starting on a monday for 10 weeks

Week 1
    Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
    Late Late Night Night Night Night Rest
    9.06 9.06 27.20 27.20 27.20 42.22
    €141.94

Week 2
    Rest Rest Rest Early Early Night Night
    ----

2.72 2.72 42.22 110.88 €158.54

Week 3
    Night Night Rest Rest Rest Rest Early
    27.20 27.20 ----

---- 91.84 €146.24

Week 4
    Early Late Late Night Night Rest Rest
    2.72 9.06 9.06 27.20 27.20 ----
    €75.24

Week 5
    Rest Rest Early Early Early Early Night

2.72 2.72 2.72 17.74 110.88 €136.78

Week 6
    Night Rest Rest Rest Rest Early Early
    27.20 ----

17.74 91.84 €136.78

Week 7
    Early Early Late Late Rest Rest Rest
    2.72 2.72 9.06 17.22

€31.72

Week 8
    Rest Early Early Late Late Late Late
    2.72 2.72 17.22 22.66 37.68 100.90 €183.90

Week 9
    Rest Rest Rest Rest Late Late Late

22.66 37.68 100.90 €161.24

Week 10
    Late Night Night Rest Rest Rest Rest
    9.06 27.20 27.20

€63.46

Total Allowances for 10 week roster = €1235.84

Which equals €6179.20 for 5 rosters or 50 weeks which is just under a year.

There are other complictaions such as being rostered for 6 sundays but only working 5 and taking leave. Also the addition of bank holidays of which you will usually work at least 3 or 4 in any given year so this would nearly offset the sundays.

Anyway, point proven It's a little over 25% of your basic Gross Pay over the year.

I hope it's clear enough :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

one garda leaving the force everyday. looking at the statistics it really shows how bad they let it get to. This is not including sick leave, maternity leave ect..

http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-recruitment-leave-force-1928807-Feb2015/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,141 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

carzony wrote: »
    one garda leaving the force everyday. looking at the statistics it really shows how bad they let it get to. This is not including sick leave, maternity leave ect..

http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-recruitment-leave-force-1928807-Feb2015/

And also includes Reserves as a full time Garda. You know, massage the figures to make them look better. I believe it's 170 Reserves at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gardapa

You believe what's 170 reserves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

carzony wrote: »
    And I've already identified about 6 boardsies in the comments section.......not good

Advertisement