Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

D Trent wrote: »
    And I've already identified about 6 boardsies in the comments section.......not good

Detective work :)

only about 40 questions asked I thought more would have joined in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

carzony wrote: »

Their answers may as well have come direct from the press office.

Their answers may as well have come direct from the press office.

It was very official alright. I would have know just as much reading the garda website :rolleyes:

Minister Fitzgerald told the Dáil this morning that "23 members of the first group who entered the college in Templemore had been members of the Garda Reserve. Some 17 former members of the Garda Reserve were in the second batch of 100 new recruits, while 13 former members were in the third batch of 100 new recruits."

so out of 300. 53 reserves have made it to full time this recruitment drive.

quite a big number in my mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

carzony wrote: »
    Minister Fitzgerald told the Dáil this morning that "23 members of the first group who entered the college in Templemore had been members of the Garda Reserve. Some 17 former members of the Garda Reserve were in the second batch of 100 new recruits, while 13 former members were in the third batch of 100 new recruits."

so out of 300. 53 reserves have made it to full time this recruitment drive.

quite a big number in my mind?

Not as big a number as some people were talking about one time but its enough

• Advertisement

thekopend wrote: »
    Not as big a number as some people were talking about one time but its enough

A lot of reserves must have fallen on the first few tests because i'm sure they'd do very well in the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bridel

Just have a question for those down there already, what's the Craic with time off during the course? I could be in next batch and have a holiday booked around the time it could start!?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭mycro89

Have many dropped out of the course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭pah

Bridel wrote: »
    Just have a question for those down there already, what's the Craic with time off during the course? I could be in next batch and have a holiday booked around the time it could start!?

There is no time off once you're in there. You get 2 weeks leave after the training before you go to your station afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

pah wrote: »
    There is no time off once you're in there. You get 2 weeks leave after the training before you go to your station afaik

You get two reading weeks off during the course, also a few extended weekends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Xios wrote: »
    You get two reading weeks off during the course, also a few extended weekends.

Yea Buddy... roll on this weekend !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Love the way, someone asked if it is good to be in the Reserves and they replied saying that it would be good to have community involvement. Well that sinks the ship for the Reserve. Imagine the respect the new recruits that are non Reserve will have for Reserve Members coming in that also tried to apply and failed? You'll always get a few that will act the douche.

53/300 would have expected higher than that been honest. How many applied in the groups that make up 300, if its around 600/700 Reserve members then we must ask ourselves is the Reserve fit for purpose at all, considering if us as Reserves can't pass a recruitment test for full time after spending hours on the street are we really up to the job or just as they say a fake uniform on the streets. I can't understand after nearly 1 month of training in Templemore that I failed the test and end up in band 2 along with active service, I should have nailed the test no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

TallGlass wrote: »
    Love the way, someone asked if it is good to be in the Reserves and they replied saying that it would be good to have community involvement. Well that sinks the ship for the Reserve. Imagine the respect the new recruits that are non Reserve will have for Reserve Members coming in that also tried to apply and failed? You'll always get a few that will act the douche.

53/300 would have expected higher than that been honest. How many applied in the groups that make up 300, if its around 600/700 Reserve members then we must ask ourselves is the Reserve fit for purpose at all, considering if us as Reserves can't pass a recruitment test for full time after spending hours on the street are we really up to the job or just as they say a fake uniform on the streets. I can't understand after nearly 1 month of training in Templemore that I failed the test and end up in band 2 along with active service, I should have nailed the test no problems.

I'm slightly confused as to what exactly you're trying to say here? Do you think you will be viewed as a failure by the new recruits because by you're reasoning, every reserve member who applied should have been accepted into the college first time around.

Gerry G wrote: »
    I'm slightly confused as to what exactly you're trying to say here? Do you think you will be viewed as a failure by the new recruits because by you're reasoning, every reserve member who applied should have been accepted into the college first time around.

Had a few beers writing that. Guess I am just disappointed I didn't do better myself with the tests considering I have experience. But I do wish the new lads the best of luck, not long now to go. I take it they will be given sholder numbers when they start as there attested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Had a few beers writing that. Guess I am just disappointed I didn't do better myself with the tests considering I have experience. But I do wish the new lads the best of luck, not long now to go. I take it they will be given sholder numbers when they start as there attested?

tall glass,

you young enough to apply for future campaigns?

if so, id just keep digging in with reserves, it will happen for you

Canyon86 wrote: »
    tall glass,

you young enough to apply for future campaigns?

if so, id just keep digging in with reserves, it will happen for you

25/26. I dunno would they not rather someone younger for a longer investment training them up and all that.

Are there any course for the appititude tests show you how and where to improve. I got a book and it helped a lot. But the test formats where completely different. I have asked around and most people just say I don't even remember the test. Not exactly helpful.

25/26. I dunno would they not rather someone younger for a longer investment training them up and all that.

Are there any course for the appititude tests show you how and where to improve. I got a book and it helped a lot. But the test formats where completely different. I have asked around and most people just say I don't even remember the test. Not exactly helpful.

There's a few over 30 in the college area. Under 35 means under 35. I'd say they'd rather someone with more diverse experience than a fresh 18 y/o who's just discovered how to drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

sending you a PM there

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm 33 in June and there's a few older than me in the phase.

I'm 33 in June and there's a few older than me in the phase.

Have many dropped out of training to date ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

mycro89 wrote: »

Cant really understand people concerned about the dropout rate tbh? what difference does it make to people.? Not being nasty, just being nosey as to why the obsession

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

You're becoming a plague for this. You keep asking no one replies.

rocky911 wrote: »
    Cant really understand people concerned about the dropout rate tbh? what difference does it make to people.? Not being nasty, just being nosey as to why the obsession

Tax payers money....

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EveAlex

check out the garda college facebook

2 weeks ago a pic of all 3phases being inspected was posted

count em up

EveAlex wrote: »
    check out the garda college facebook

2 weeks ago a pic of all 3phases being inspected was posted

count em up

Some people are excused from parade due to illness and injury, i'd say at least 5 people are missing for just that.

Some people are excused from parade due to illness and injury, i'd say at least 5 people are missing for just that.

ok ill make it easy for you all

2 have left across the 3 intakes

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭JonathanP

Dehydration from Pollys the night before ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

I heard that the new recruits received their stations last week. Any truth to this or is it just another rumour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

I heard that the new recruits received their stations last week. Any truth to this or is it just another rumour?

Store street and Pearse street for all of them.

• Advertisement

incorrect - no stations yet
    billie1b wrote: »
    Store street and Pearse street for all of them.

both will get students, 5 each id say

Advertisement