Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

StevieF3 wrote: »
    Hey, just wondering is there any people here doing medicals/physicals this week?

Was supposed to be tests this morning but they got cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

kev-bt wrote: »
    Was supposed to be tests this morning but they got cancelled.

Any reason for that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭eroc79

D Trent wrote: »
    Any reason for that ?

Too short notice I think

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Any reason for that ?

The college couldn't accomodate the tests or something along them lines....

kev-bt wrote: »
    The college couldn't accomodate the tests or something along them lines....

Farcical
    Would never happen north of the border R across the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tg123

The last sentence may have a big impact on recruitment in the future. Direct recruitment from the Reserve

Straight from the Commissioner Looking good for the Reserve

As part of our internal Garda survey, we surveyed all members of An Garda Síochána including the Garda Reserve. As Deputy Collins has said, it should absolutely be put on record that the Garda Reserve members are indicative of and the epitome of volunteerism in Irish society. They are people who come and give their own time, for very little remuneration, wanting to give something back to the communities in which they live and work. They are a very welcome asset to An Garda Síochána. We had a number of specific seminars for the Garda Reserve and the feedback we received and heard was exactly what Deputy Collins has said - that some members of the Garda Reserve perceived they did not have a particular point of contact where their voices could be heard. We are appointing a superintendent in charge of the Garda Reserve who will have responsibility for co-ordinating the Garda Reserve itself and who will also address any issues the reserves may want to bring to their attention. Each of the regional assistant commissioners will also hold a quarterly seminar with the reserves.
    Regarding vision, we have identified a number of powers we will expand to the Garda Reserve. At the moment we are in the final stages of putting the necessary structures and training in place to ensure this can be implemented. The Garda reserves come from a wide range of communities and have a lot of skills. Many reserves are professional people and can bring a lot of skills to various aspects of the Garda organisation. We are exploring that at the moment to see where people could employ these skills to benefit them and the organisation. The Deputy also mentioned looking at a reserve stream. We are talking to the Public Appointments Service at the moment and exploring what options are available regarding that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Its all words just yet, I'll be happy when I see actions , but this is a good thing . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

Yes its true its only at discussions stage yet but like in all processes this is the first step. In addition the very fact that they have commenced the process shows intent on the matter and in all likelihood there is no valid reason (which I can think of) why an internal stream of recruitment exclusively for the reserves cant and shouldn't happen. In most probability its likely to commence when this campaign ends or who knows before that. Time will tell but I think that its great that the balls rolling on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Doggone54

Try the one ending in a letter.

Reading this takes me back to 75 before most of you boys and girls were born.

The Depot, as it was then was a cold, miserable but wonderful place.

Liam Wall, Reggie Barret, Pat Connoll et al made the place, John Sayers in clothing stores. Damn memories. Liam Wall was our drill, firearms and swimming instructor whose favourite saying was "YOU HORSES ASS" - but we would have followed him into hell itself because if we were not coming back Wall was already dead - such was our faith, belief in and respect for that man.

Don't know if he is alive or dead but he will always be with me.

2024xxx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭pah

WTF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 fairweather 1980

Have you got a link to where you got this, been trying to find it on kildarestreet.com etc. No joy. Just wanna see full conversation. Thanks
    tg123 wrote: »
    The last sentence may have a big impact on recruitment in the future. Direct recruitment from the Reserve

Straight from the Commissioner Looking good for the Reserve

As part of our internal Garda survey, we surveyed all members of An Garda Síochána including the Garda Reserve. As Deputy Collins has said, it should absolutely be put on record that the Garda Reserve members are indicative of and the epitome of volunteerism in Irish society. They are people who come and give their own time, for very little remuneration, wanting to give something back to the communities in which they live and work. They are a very welcome asset to An Garda Síochána. We had a number of specific seminars for the Garda Reserve and the feedback we received and heard was exactly what Deputy Collins has said - that some members of the Garda Reserve perceived they did not have a particular point of contact where their voices could be heard. We are appointing a superintendent in charge of the Garda Reserve who will have responsibility for co-ordinating the Garda Reserve itself and who will also address any issues the reserves may want to bring to their attention. Each of the regional assistant commissioners will also hold a quarterly seminar with the reserves.
    Regarding vision, we have identified a number of powers we will expand to the Garda Reserve. At the moment we are in the final stages of putting the necessary structures and training in place to ensure this can be implemented. The Garda reserves come from a wide range of communities and have a lot of skills. Many reserves are professional people and can bring a lot of skills to various aspects of the Garda organisation. We are exploring that at the moment to see where people could employ these skills to benefit them and the organisation. The Deputy also mentioned looking at a reserve stream. We are talking to the Public Appointments Service at the moment and exploring what options are available regarding that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 therecruit

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give a break down of the Routine in Templemore are you doing the same thing week in week out like pt in the morning classes in the afternoon or similer.

Also can you tell me of the level of fitness once down there, like is PCT level good enough or am I going to have a steep learning curves if thats where I am?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

therecruit wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Can anyone give a break down of the Routine in Templemore are you doing the same thing week in week out like pt in the morning classes in the afternoon or similer.

Also can you tell me of the level of fitness once down there, like is PCT level good enough or am I going to have a steep learning curves if thats where I am?

Thanks

You're left to your own devices as far as Physical training is concerned, once a week there is a two hour slot where everyone has to sign up for a physical activity, like running, swimming, cycling, ladies GAA, tag rugby, core work out etc.

It's 9 to 5 classes all week.

When you do get down there, do not slack on the fitness, you need to maintain a standard and once the self defence training starts, if you didn't train, you'll be in bad spot.

Xios wrote: »
    You're left to your own devices as far as Physical training is concerned, once a week there is a two hour slot where everyone has to sign up for a physical activity, like running, swimming, cycling, ladies GAA, tag rugby, core work out etc.

It's 9 to 5 classes all week.

When you do get down there, do not slack on the fitness, you need to maintain a standard and once the self defence training starts, if you didn't train, you'll be in bad spot.

Cheers Xios,

At what stage does the self defense kick in?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Cheers Xios,

At what stage does the self defense kick in?

Around 15 weeks in, give or take.

One last annoying question :)

What's the atmosphere down in templemore like. I mean I imagine I imagine its like across between school and regular college i.e you don't have to ask to use the bathroom but you cant stroll in to a lecture 5 minutes late.

One last annoying question :)

What's the atmosphere down in templemore like. I mean I imagine I imagine its like across between school and regular college i.e you don't have to ask to use the bathroom but you cant stroll in to a lecture 5 minutes late.

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The atmosphere in general is really good. The intakes are broken up into classes of 25. So you can look at your 25 as your unit so to speak. You can relate it to third level to a certain extent, involvement is encouraged, and its mostly problem based learning which is great. But as you said, lateness/messing etc is not tolerated. There is no longer any curfew, so you need to be there Mon-Fri 9-5, but outside that you can come and go as you please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JonahHill

Hi lads

Any word on when the offers will be out for the next intake at the end of July?

Medical & Physical passed, background checks & vetting complete, file sent for approval......

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

madbadger wrote: »
    You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there. The atmosphere in general is really good. The intakes are broken up into classes of 25. So you can look at your 25 as your unit so to speak. You can relate it to third level to a certain extent, involvement is encouraged, and its mostly problem based learning which is great. But as you said, lateness/messing etc is not tolerated. There is no longer any curfew, so you need to be there Mon-Fri 9-5, but outside that you can come and go as you please.

I maybe blind but I think your the only person I have seen actually post some information as someone attending the college. Can I just say fair play and thanks, a lot of people use this resource for getting into the Garda and stuck it dry by not helping other forum members and use the excuse 'sure we were told not to post in here' once there in.

You can post about your experiences in the college nobody wants top secret information just options and some advise, besides, a few of the mods are Garda so if its going to land someone in hot water they'll remove it. Again thanks, here's hoping a few more come out of the woodwork!

Best of luck in the station and congratulations hope you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

TallGlass wrote: »
    I maybe blind but I think your the only person I have seen actually post some information as someone attending the college. Can I just say fair play and thanks, a lot of people use this resource for getting into the Garda and stuck it dry by not helping other forum members and use the excuse 'sure we were told not to post in here' once there in.

You can post about your experiences in the college nobody wants top secret information just options and some advise, besides, a few of the mods are Garda so if its going to land someone in hot water they'll remove it. Again thanks, here's hoping a few more come out of the woodwork!

Best of luck in the station and congratulations hope you enjoy it.

Most are too busy or only seen boards as a tool for getting in or have no reason for checking this forum anymore, only reason i'm still here is cause my GF is still in the competition.

Nobody is telling us not to post to boards.ie in the college, the only thing said to us was essentially, don't be stupid online. If you've any questions, feel free to ask, i'll answer what i can.

• Advertisement

Most are too busy or only seen boards as a tool for getting in or have no reason for checking this forum anymore, only reason i'm still here is cause my GF is still in the competition.

Nobody is telling us not to post to boards.ie in the college, the only thing said to us was essentially, don't be stupid online. If you've any questions, feel free to ask, i'll answer what i can.

Thanks
    Second phase is at 99 currently aswell am I right ?

Thanks
    Second phase is at 99 currently aswell am I right ?

Second and third phase are both 100. All phases going in have two extras that do induction week. If anyone leaves in the first week or two they will take their place. If nobody leaves they are first pick for the next intake.

Like Xios, i'm happy to help anyone, so ask away. Obviously we cannot divulge any sensitive information, but any general information we can give ye we will.

If anyone has a question they'd rather not ask in public, feel free to pm me, but as before, if its something I cant answer, I wont.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

That's fair enough if your busy. But I used here for the Reserves and come back to answer any questions. I think its a bit poor form people pulling information yet if someone has a question its hard to get an answer, not you personally in general.

Did you use any other resources for appitutude tests or how did you approach it? How did you find the studying and training, did you enjoy it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

madbadger wrote: »
    Second and third phase are both 100.

Second phase has 99 students. We had a faller but it was too late to replace them as we had gone too far.

We'll answer what we can for people who ask but sometimes i log on and someone has already answered the question.
    Ask away and we'll get back when we can.

TallGlass wrote: »
    That's fair enough if your busy. But I used here for the Reserves and come back to answer any questions. I think its a bit poor form people pulling information yet if someone has a question its hard to get an answer, not you personally in general.

Did you use any other resources for appitutude tests or how did you approach it? How did you find the studying and training, did you enjoy it?

As for the aptitude tests, in my opinion, once you've done one, you've done them all. There is plenty of practice sites available if you feel you need practice, just google.

You mean training for pre-entry fitness test?? Its not the type of thing you can just train a week or two for, you need a good general level of fitness, gym a few times a week, or go for a run. Cardio mostly as you need to develop endurance and if your bmi is high, this will definitely help. Plenty of practice for sit-ups and push ups. As for push-pull, technique is key, keep a wide stance, push in with your rear leg as well as your arms, pull back with your front leg and arms. Give it everything and you should be grand. Obstacle course is the easy part, just don't try to do it too fast.
    Turbo T wrote: »

Second phase has 99 students. We had a faller but it was too late to replace them as we had gone too far.

We'll answer what we can for people who ask but sometimes i log on and someone has already answered the question.
    Ask away and we'll get back when we can.

Ha, I didn't realise that, guess you don't have to be a detective to work out which phase i'm in. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Keep practising the bleep test. Running a distance at the same speed isn't the same as the bleep test because of the speed increase. Of course it helps for fitness but get out and practise a bleep test.
    Keep at the push ups and sit ups and build on them. Don't just aim for the few you need to get in, push them out. On the day of your fitness test, do what you need. You don't get anything for doing more.
    You'll be doing more fitness tests when you're here, that's where you'll need to be doing more to be seen to be improving. That's where the extra comes in.

For aptitude tests, they are pretty much the same concept each time. Try a few. They are available on the internet. Keep plugging away with them and the fitness and you won't go far wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Physical passed!!!! Back to the waiting game now hopefully will have a letter of offer in a couple of weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Mc Garnigle

aido112 wrote: »
    Physical passed!!!! Back to the waiting game now hopefully will have a letter of offer in a couple of weeks!!

Do they tell you after you will receive a letter or give you any inclination of the timescale?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Do they tell you after you will receive a letter or give you any inclination of the timescale?

No lad your sent on your way after all sections are completed. College staff have no say as to when next class will be starting.

Rumours are the last week of July for the next class

• Advertisement

You'll probably be called first and asked are you available to start on whatever date, then you'll get a letter in the post. That's the way it happened for the last intake anyway. Offers were made a little over a month before start date. So ye may be waiting a few weeks yet... i would guesstimate sometime second week of June. Pure speculation though.

Advertisement