Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Lads for the relatives lists are ye including below?

-Any direct relations (i.e. first cousins) with foreign addresses outside of Ireland?

-Your uncle or auntie's in law? (or is it just supposed to be blood relatives).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aoifeb2

kev-bt wrote:

-Any direct relations (i.e. first cousins) with foreign addresses outside of Ireland?

I put down everyone. Better to have them there than not!

I was going to until I thought of first cousins abroad who I've never met, wouldn't have a clue of their addresses or occupations, I think this list is just for stationing rather than vetting.

Maybe some current trainee could shed some light on this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭cruiser202006

kev-bt wrote: »

I rang Garda hq this morning to clarify about mothers 10 half brothers and sisters! All aunts and uncles wether half or full to be included but not their spouses

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

kev-bt wrote:

The letter said all relations in the republic didn't it?? That's all I put down anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

http://thestar.ie/cruel-reality-of-life-for-gardai/

Well worth reading the above article. There's a lot of truth in it.

I rang Garda hq this morning to clarify about mothers 10 half brothers and sisters! All aunts and uncles wether half or full to be included but not their spouses

Cheers, I presume relations outside Ireland aren't needed? I haven't them in yet anyway!

Just a quick question. I'm wondering are you still considered a student in Garda College or are you technically in employment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Some questions for the folks in Templemore at the moment, would be grateful for any replies :)

What way are the classes divided up? ie whats the split between lectures and class room practical learning etc

Do the sports within the college take place during the weekends matches etc or during the week?

Have they much self defence extra curricular stuff going on?

many thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

aoifeb2 wrote: »
    Just a quick question. I'm wondering are you still considered a student in Garda College or are you technically in employment?

Hi, while technically in employment, you are still considered a student and will hold the rank of Student Garda until you get attested.

• Advertisement

Hi, while technically in employment, you are still considered a student and will hold the rank of Student Garda until you get attested.

Asking with regards to the bank, they are wondering if i will still hold my student account or change it to a normal one?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The answer to that question will always be 'keep it student' unless you actually want to pay banking fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭northside girl

Asking with regards to the bank, they are wondering if i will still hold my student account or change it to a normal one?

I'd probably try and keep it as a student account as long as I could because they usually have better fees, or at least used to! Depends on your bank really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Some questions for the folks in Templemore at the moment, would be grateful for any replies :)

What way are the classes divided up? ie whats the split between lectures and class room practical learning etc

You're in your classroom mostly for classes or your in classrooms in smaller groups working through different scenarios. Only really in the bigger lecture theatres if there's more than one class. Just makes it easier to address two or all four classes at once.

Do the sports within the college take place during the weekends matches etc or during the week?

No matches at the moment because no teams. All other colleges are on summer holidays. Everyone goes home at the weekend aswell so there's nothing on.

Have they much self defence extra curricular stuff going on?

Circuts are on twice a week at the moment but the lad that does that is leaving soon. There's kick boxing aswell.

many thanks!

Your fitness is left pretty much up to you. If you don't mind it, you'll loose it. If you don't pass your fitness tests there will be repercussions.
    The gym is grand in the college but can get busy.

Hope that helps you lad

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jarvisk12

I got my offer email to start on the 27th,does anybody know what is on the shopping list?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellemac3

jarvisk12 wrote: »
    I got my offer email to start on the 27th,does anybody know what is on the shopping list?

It'll come in the post over the next few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Turbo T wrote: »
    Your fitness is left pretty much up to you. If you don't mind it, you'll loose it. If you don't pass your fitness tests there will be repercussions.
    The gym is grand in the college but can get busy.

Hope that helps you lad

Thanks Turbo! very informative, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tweed

Just wondering regarding laptops, when it says "preferably windows" is it very awkward if you have a Mac or would you get by fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jwm85

When did you get your phone call and email offer? What is your OOM

jwm85 wrote: »
    When did you get your phone call and email offer? What is your OOM

I got the call on Friday afternoon and the email came that day also,I am in the late 500's

• Advertisement

I got the call on Friday afternoon and the email came that day also,I am in the late 500's

I got the call last week but no email yet

jwm85 wrote: »
    I got the call last week but no email yet

Give them a call or check your spam,I actually only met the superintendent on Thursday as my file went missing,it's no harm chasing them up

Give them a call or check your spam,I actually only met the superintendent on Thursday as my file went missing,it's no harm chasing them up

Well the phone call only asked that if my file was ready would I be available

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

Tweed wrote: »
    Just wondering regarding laptops, when it says "preferably windows" is it very awkward if you have a Mac or would you get by fine?

Macs work fine, theres just a slight issue with them accepting the security credentials for the wifi, its easily fixed though. You'll be required to do a lot of powerpoint presetations and word documents so MS Office is essential, but in short theres no problem if you have a mac.

Has anyone received the info pack in the post yet?

jarvisk12 wrote:
    Has anyone received the info pack in the post yet?

I got the pack the day after I got the email. Maybe it just didn't make Friday's post and will come tomorrow :-)

I got the pack the day after I got the email. Maybe it just didn't make Friday's post and will come tomorrow :-)

Cool thanks, I'm eager to see what we need to have/buy, I haven't much time as I will be away

jarvisk12 wrote:
    Cool thanks, I'm eager to see what we need to have/buy, I haven't much time as I will be away

It's just general clothing and pe gear basically man wouldn't stress over it! Finished up in work Sunday can't wait to get down and get going!

What are we supposed to wear on the 27th? Is it just normal jeans and stuff or should we be wearing a tracksuit?

• Advertisement

aoifeb2 wrote:
    What are we supposed to wear on the 27th? Is it just normal jeans and stuff or should we be wearing a tracksuit?

I'd say suited and booted on the Monday just to be safe

Advertisement