Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭madbadger

aoifeb2 wrote: »
    What are we supposed to wear on the 27th? Is it just normal jeans and stuff or should we be wearing a tracksuit?

You'll need to be suited up for the first week or so till you get your uniform. They may let you wear the college tracksuit if you're lucky, but first day suit up anyway. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭slingerz

anyone else think wearing a suit to the college is a bit overkill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

slingerz wrote: »
    anyone else think wearing a suit to the college is a bit overkill?

You'll be the only one in jeans. Wear your suit when you arrive. People will be looking at you from the moment you arrive. You'll be in it for a few days till you get your uniform.

Just try to look your best is all I'm saying

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ellemac3

Turbo T wrote: »
    You'll be the only one in jeans. Wear your suit when you arrive. People will be looking at you from the moment you arrive. You'll be in it for a few days till you get your uniform.

Just try to look your best is all I'm saying

Quick question do all the ladies wear trouser suits or are there some in skirts and dresses???

ellemac3 wrote: »
    Quick question do all the ladies wear trouser suits or are there some in skirts and dresses???

Smartly dressed. Don't land down in jeans and converse you know. Trouser suits and blouses, skirts and tops. Office wear i suppose you could say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 aoifeb2

Are the girls going to be wearing their heels with the suits?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Few tips for the newbies coming in this month.

First week (induction week) is 'Unpaid', plan accordingly.
    Bring roughly €150 euro cash, so you can buy Parade Shoes, Tracksuit and T-shirt/Polo-shirt. You can hold off on the Parade shoes for a couple weeks, but get them early. (I can't actually remember how much they all costed) + spending/drinking money

Don't worry about the Judo/Karate Suit, you won't need it for a few months, if you have the money, go ahead and get one though.

Dress well the first week, shirts, trousers, jacket. Basically a suit, business clothing, something you'd wear to an interview.

Items to bring with you. Normal clothes, undies, socks, towels, toiletries. Training gear, runners (Any colour will do, you don't need white runners) But do get 'White Socks'
    Swimming gear, men can wear shorts, women in a one piece i believe.
    Those fussy individuals can bring their own bed sheets (single size)

Laptop (preferably windows with MS office) All files are either PDF, MS word, Excel and powerpoint. (a few weeks into the course, I'd recommend getting a desktop printer or finding someone who has one to share, printing is awkward on campus)

Learning materials. Refill pads/copy books, pens, rulers, highlighters, pencils, rubbers etc.

I'll add more if I think of anything.

Well done. Great post man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Do GRs keep their uniform or do they get issued new ones?

Do GRs keep their uniform or do they get issued new ones?

GRs get issued new uniform but you'll have to return your cuffs/belt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Dublingirl88

Anyone know when the Jan intake are due to finish up in Templemore?

Just curious as the December intake was December 8th and the Jan intake was January 26th which is only a 7 week gap so could the next intake actually be mid September??

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭StevieF3

Just wondering do we get student cards when we are studying? and are they strict on bringing your educational certs? my degree has been misplaced at home, haha :/

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭aido112

Xios wrote:
    First week (induction week) is 'Unpaid', plan accordingly. Bring roughly €150 euro cash, so you can buy Parade Shoes, Tracksuit and T-shirt/Polo-shirt. You can hold off on the Parade shoes for a couple weeks, but get them early. (I can't actually remember how much they all costed) + spending/drinking money

Xios, does the 150 you quote include the price of parade shoes??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Bring bleach and a scrubbing sponge/cloth and bleach the sink in your room. Especially the lads. Use your imagination if you're wondering why.

I'd also recommend a small first-aid kit made up of deep-heat, a small amount of strapping and possibly anti-inflammatory stuff like difene or similar. When training starts you will inevitably pick up knocks and strains. Treat early and well.

Maybe consider the likes of plasters, painkillers and lemsips for the inevitable colds and hangovers. All can be got locally but it's handy to have it in your room.

I second the recommendation for a printer. You won't need it early on but later on with mock files and the like, while not totally essential, they are a godsend.

USB drive is essential to go with your laptop. If your laptop's battery is ****e, order a new one on eBay or something - sockets in classrooms are practically currency and fiercely defended.

Tea bags are useful if you take tea in the evenings. Coffee dock is open for use 24/7 with a boiler and (usually) milk.

Hangers for your clothes. I'd highly recommend a couple of trouser-clamp hangers for your slacks to avoid a crease forming at the knee. You'll be keeping one set of pants for parade so at least hang those straight with a clamp hanger. Keeps them sharp.

If you're into golf, pitch & putt, tennis, squash, football, basketball, etc. you may want to consider your own clubs/racquets/balls. When I left in April the stuff they had was old and fairly ****e. They were ordering new stuff though so it may have improved. Maybe the current phases can advise better. Golfers will need to bring their own anyway (and probably would).

Worth bringing darts if you play darts. Paddles/balls if you play table tennis.

If you have a bit of electronic gear with you then a double or quad adapter is recommended too for your room.

If I think of anything else I'll throw it up.

Anyone know when the Jan intake are due to finish up in Templemore?

Just curious as the December intake was December 8th and the Jan intake was January 26th which is only a 7 week gap so could the next intake actually be mid September??

Jan intake finish on the 10th of September.

Word going around at the moment is the next intake will be early-mid October with a further intake to start in December.

StevieF3 wrote: »
    Just wondering do we get student cards when we are studying? and are they strict on bringing your educational certs? my degree has been misplaced at home, haha :/

You'll get an ID card to which you have to wear around the college, its not technically a student card in the traditional sense as it doesn't have course/start finish date/ exp date that kind of stuff, so doubt you'd be able to use it for student discounts and the like. But no harm in trying i suppose.

They're not strict in bringing your degrees etc but if you want the increment in pay that goes with having them after your probation period, i'd recommend finding it or requesting a new one from your college. ;)

madbadger wrote: »
    Jan intake finish on the 10th of September.

Word going around at the moment is the next intake will be early-mid October with a further intake to start in December.

I'd be surprised if they take on more in December, would there be enough room? I heard space got a little tight when there were the 3 intakes down at the same time earlier this year which is why July and October are intakes of 125 as 250 is the maximum number the college can put up without people being sent out to digs etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Xios wrote: »
    Few tips for the newbies coming in this month.

First week (induction week) is 'Unpaid', plan accordingly.
    Bring roughly €150 euro cash, so you can buy Parade Shoes, Tracksuit and T-shirt/Polo-shirt. You can hold off on the Parade shoes for a couple weeks, but get them early. (I can't actually remember how much they all costed) + spending/drinking money

Don't worry about the Judo/Karate Suit, you won't need it for a few months, if you have the money, go ahead and get one though.

Dress well the first week, shirts, trousers, jacket. Basically a suit, business clothing, something you'd wear to an interview.

Items to bring with you. Normal clothes, undies, socks, towels, toiletries. Training gear, runners (Any colour will do, you don't need white runners) But do get 'White Socks'
    Swimming gear, men can wear shorts, women in a one piece i believe.
    Those fussy individuals can bring their own bed sheets (single size)

Laptop (preferably windows with MS office) All files are either PDF, MS word, Excel and powerpoint. (a few weeks into the course, I'd recommend getting a desktop printer or finding someone who has one to share, printing is awkward on campus)

Learning materials. Refill pads/copy books, pens, rulers, highlighters, pencils, rubbers etc.

I'll add more if I think of anything.

Thanks for the post, just wondering while attending class before you get your uniform do you need a full suit, i.e. jacket? I don't have many suits and it would be easier if I could pick up a pair of slacks and shirt and ties, it would ease the expense of the shopping list!

I'd be surprised if they take on more in December, would there be enough room? I heard space got a little tight when there were the 3 intakes down at the same time earlier this year which is why July and October are intakes of 125 as 250 is the maximum number the college can put up without people being sent out to digs etc?

If they do take another intake in Dec the 152s (Intake starting next week) will be sent out to digs alright.

madbadger wrote: »
    If they do take another intake in Dec the 152s (Intake starting next week) will be sent out to digs alright.

Well a December intake is good news if I don't make the October intake as I won't have a long wait as expected to the next intake :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Ah stop, when we were there each phase was similar in size almost 300 per phase!!

So even using a minumum per phase of 275..
    Phase Ijnr -275
    Pahse Isnr - 275
    Phase 3 - 275
    Phase 5 - 275

Add into that car courses and other courses plus any lecturers living in house...

It was wedged, not an empty room in the place, the town full of us, the estate across the way full also and a load of houses surrounding the town!

Wonder will it ever go back that way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

142 Phase getting ready for Attestation next Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ginge_2013

All those going down that need Judo suits, I got mine in mcsport.ie for €32. They are on sale down from €40

ginge_2013 wrote: »
    All those going down that need Judo suits, I got mine in mcsport.ie for €32. They are on sale down from €40

They sell them in the college aswell so no panic lads

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aoifeb2

How much are they in the college?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Hank26

aoifeb2 wrote: »
    How much are they in the college?

€27 I think. I'm sure the 151's would sell theirs for less. They are finished with em

How's everyone getting on with buying the stuff from the checklist?

also, anyone who is down there currently or finished, how essential is microsoft office in the first few weeks?

How's everyone getting on with buying the stuff from the checklist?

also, anyone who is down there currently or finished, how essential is microsoft office in the first few weeks?

Try have it if you can before you come here. It'll be one less thing to worry about :)

Turbo T wrote: »
    Try have it if you can before you come here. It'll be one less thing to worry about :)

Cheers, didnt realise my subscription to it had ran out, such a nuisance :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cheers, didnt realise my subscription to it had ran out, such a nuisance :rolleyes:

Probably best to have everything that you need sorted before you get here so you're not worrying about the small things you know

Advertisement