Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Dongaz

Hope you find somebody that can give you a lift. But, heck, that is some travelling you have to do! How long does it take you to get from Donegal to Templemore?

Iv a car, just handy car sharing ect. 5 hours. It's tight alright. But will be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Bloodwing wrote: »
    There's none in the college. There is a launderette in the town.

There's a 24 hour 18kg washer and 18kg dryer self service in Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eireannach01

What is the difference between a judo suit and a karate suit? Cos there is a shop near me that sells karate suits.

I take it is compulsory to do judo then?!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

What is the difference between a judo suit and a karate suit? Cos there is a shop near me that sells karate suits.

I take it is compulsory to do judo then?!

They are all fairly generic and pretty plain the suits so anything plain enough should do. Just be careful of sizes if buying online they can vary a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

If it says judo, get judo. They difference is that judo uniforms are designed for the wearer to be pulled around, throw every which way and are made of a much heavier and more durable material then a karate uniform. The karate uniform is much lighter and is put in over the head, where a judo uniform is a wraparound. A karate uniform would not last 10 minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 babybell

Does it matter what colour formal suit u wear until a uniform is issued?
    Do we have to be down on the Sunday night before we start or is it just a case of being there before 2pm on the Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BRB

babybell wrote: »
    Does it matter what colour formal suit u wear until a uniform is issued?
    Do we have to be down on the Sunday night before we start or is it just a case of being there before 2pm on the Monday?

Before 2pm Monday. I think after this induction week we are to be in Templemore Sunday nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

BRB wrote: »
    Before 2pm Monday. I think after this induction week we are to be in Templemore Sunday nights.

Yes I would think so. Assume we will have to wear a suit for the induction week also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

babybell wrote: »

Yeah, I reckon it's the Monday that we can travel down for the induction week.

Which is great, as it means we can hit Coppers after the hurling final.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Ron DMC wrote: »
    Yeah, I reckon it's the Monday that we can travel down for the induction week.

Which is great, as it means we can hit Coppers after the hurling final.

Don't forget your gold card! ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

I'm still having random burst of excitement throughout the day. Roll on the 8th of September!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 North Country Bhoy

Long time snooper on this board, folks! Delighted to be heading in on the 8th. Should we assume that for the induction week that we won't be receiving our €184?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Long time snooper on this board, folks! Delighted to be heading in on the 8th. Should we assume that for the induction week that we won't be receiving our €184?

You will of course get your €184 induction week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

I heard before that the €184 is not taxable but cannot find any info online. Anyone know of there is any truth to this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Rothmans wrote: »
    I heard before that the €184 is not taxable but cannot find any info online. Anyone know of there is any truth to this?

It is taxable but depending on how much you've earned throughout the year it probably won't put you above your cut off point.

Once the next tax year starts none of you should be paying tax (unless you get stuck on the emergency tax rate)

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭galalala123

Are we supposed to arrive on the monday with families or what? i saw in old posts from years ago people were bringing their families with them and there was a small talk or something but doesnt say anything in the info pack so i dont know....?

Actually, for tax purposes, I wonder are we seen as full time students?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Actually, for tax purposes, I wonder are we seen as full time students?

I don't think that'd make a difference to the tax paid, or am I mistaken?

Rothmans wrote: »
    I don't think that'd make a difference to the tax paid, or am I mistaken?
    Actually, I think you're right, I'm thinking back to the days of summer jobs where the whole tax year's tax credits were used from when you weren't working.

This'll presumably be done as a normal wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭almeraguy

Actually, I think you're right, I'm thinking back to the days of summer jobs where the whole tax year's tax credits were used from when you weren't working.

This'll presumably be done as a normal wage.

That's what I was thinking, it's a wage and not social welfare or a grant. We'll have to pay tax on it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

I wonder will anyone meet a very vocal reserve who used to post on here ?
    I'm only dying to hear how he did :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

He's not here to respond so please don't talk about him

KERSPLAT

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ann.lewis

Oops. Sorry.

Leave it for in person so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

No bother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭wideasagate

Actually does anyone know about bringing the families down? I was told we could but no mention of it so far! They used to get a talk on how great we are ;-) Mammy's will cry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Actually does anyone know about bringing the families down? I was told we could but no mention of it so far! They used to get a talk on how great we are ;-) Mammy's will cry!

In phases past some brought their families, some didnt, all really depends, for those with kids its a great time for them if they can get down with the parents to see daddy or mammy starting off their new job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

Quick question, are people going suited up or casual for the 8th?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭thedirtydevil

Loopie wrote: »
    Quick question, are people going suited up or casual for the 8th?

Will be suited and booted.

In previous campaigns was there an induction week also or did you start training on week 1? Or this just a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭fitzzbill

Will be suited and booted.

In previous campaigns was there an induction week also or did you start training on week 1? Or this just a new thing.

You are traveling in your suit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭hopeful8

I would travel in my suit, or at least well groomed, ye're going to be scrutinised the moment ye land, worst case scenario ye can take it off on landing. Previously there was no induction week, first day welcome to the college etc, then straight into it, best of luck to you all it's a fantastic experience, and if you have the right attitude and keep your head down ye will thrive.

Advertisement