Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

The wont do 75 again. It's phases of 150 or more. There are rumours of trying to get 200 in September down but until offers are actually issued this wont be known for sure.

Thanks. To make September's intake would be great!

Are they many students currently living with host families outside the college at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boult

So what is it like down there in college? Is it really tough? Is it what people expected?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Just looking on facebook and another load of new recruits ready to begin service :)

looking at them i'm amazed how young many of them are, most seem to be in their very early 20's :).

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Dingle20144

Hi

Just looking for some information regarding templemore - on €184 a week is it crazy to be paying rent for where I am now as I live with my GF in a 2 bed apt.?
    Also in terms of needing a car is this necessary for starting templemore and further down the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Hi

Just looking for some information regarding templemore - on €184 a week is it crazy to be paying rent for where I am now as I live with my GF in a 2 bed apt.?
    Also in terms of needing a car is this necessary for starting templemore and further down the line?

If its an option get her to move home and you do the same unless she can afford the rent on her own it just wont be possible realistically to make your rent...

A car is not necessary while in Templemore however when you get your station you will need one, how else would you get home from a finish at 1am/3am or later if needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Hi

A lot of people carpool coming down and going home. If you can arrange in the first week or so then you'll be sorted. When you get put out into the houses you may need a car depending on were they put you. Some people get lucky and are literally outside the gate of the college, others are about half way to Thurles. The two credit unions are great for giving car loans to students should you need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Do sports in the college go on all year round ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Just wondering if the standard issue handcuffs are still made by ASP? if so, what type?. Ive heard that the Baton is ASP aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Just wondering if the standard issue handcuffs are still made by ASP? if so, what type?. Ive heard that the Baton is ASP aswell?

You'll get to handcuffs (ASP rigid cuffs) around week 12-14, then you do self defence following on from that. then you do the ASP baton training followed by red man training around weeks 20-24.

Just remember there's a fitness test during week 1-2 consisting of beep test and sit-ups/press ups and this has to be passed before moving on to self defence training so I'd advise people to keep on top of fitness while waiting out the long wait for an offer. ( you have 3 shots at this then you get reverted to the phase behind you)

You'll get to handcuffs (ASP rigid cuffs) around week 12-14, then you do self defence following on from that. then you do the ASP baton training followed by red man training around weeks 20-24.

Just remember there's a fitness test during week 1-2 consisting of beep test and sit-ups/press ups and this has to be passed before moving on to self defence training so I'd advise people to keep on top of fitness while waiting out the long wait for an offer. ( you have 3 shots at this then you get reverted to the phase behind you)

Oh I didn't realise that there is a second beep test to complete. I thought it was just the once during the physical test, good to know that now.
    You mentioned that the handcuffs issued are the ASP rigid, when did they switch them from the conventional chain/hinge cuffs?:)

• Advertisement

Oh I didn't realise that there is a second beep test to complete. I thought it was just the once during the physical test, good to know that now.
    You mentioned that the handcuffs issued are the ASP rigid, when did they switch them from the conventional chain/hinge cuffs?:)

you have 3 fitness tests while on phase 1 and more on phase 2 & 3 too. So fitness is an important element throughout the training & degree.

Not sure when theybrought in the new ones they.re issued to all new recruits I could not say how many existing members have/haven't switched

you have 3 fitness tests while on phase 1 and more on phase 2 & 3 too. So fitness is an important element throughout the training & degree.

Not sure when theybrought in the new ones they.re issued to all new recruits I could not say how many existing members have/haven't switched

Ah its about time to be honest. The UK police have had rigid cuffs for years now. Are the 3 fitness tests the same each time or is there different elements to them as you progress?

Ah its about time to be honest. The UK police have had rigid cuffs for years now. Are the 3 fitness tests the same each time or is there different elements to them as you progress?

It's the beep test and sit ups and press ups to the same standard as the entrance test.

Ah that's grand so. sound of the info:)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

So we must be able to pass the fitness exam again when we start templemore. The beep test,push ups and sit ups.
    Do we have to get the minimum standard or more ?

RedmondHR wrote: »
    So we must be able to pass the fitness exam again when we start templemore. The beep test,push ups and sit ups.
    Do we have to get the minimum standard or more ?

Minimum standards for your age at the time of the test & gender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

What if you have become gender fluid since your first physical?

D Trent wrote: »
    What if you have become gender fluid since your first physical?

Well that's a question that I have no answer to, sorry D Trent 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Shazzy1993

Hey guys :) just wondering, got invited to stage 2! Regarding to the educational needs, I got a b2 in foundation maths🙈, which is a pass and also done French once a week for "LCVP" In 5th and 6th year in secondary school, will I just keep going and hope for the best or am I wasting my time? Any help will be greatly be appericated 👌ðŸ½

Ps. I know I'm in the wrong thread, posted in the other ones too, just want to find out info asap before I go ahead to stage 2, thanks

Does anyone know if the Stab proof vests are part of your personal issue? or are they stocked in the stations?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Does anyone know if the Stab proof vests are part of your personal issue? or are they stocked in the stations?.

Personal issue as far as I know everything has its own serial number to identify it is yours. Just incase someone robs your hat, vest or any other equipment. I may be wrong though

During the first week or two there's lectures on the uniform, the structure and history of AGS and pretty much the outline of what's ahead of you, I remember the long wait myself and the excitement but try enjoy your last few weeks at home being able to see friends and family everyday and not having the trek to Tipp every week. Novelty wears thin after a few weeks so try keep some excitement for when you get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bopper88

Everything is personal issue, including your radio.

Bopper88 wrote: »
    Everything is personal issue, including your radio.

Are the vests brand new when issued to you? They are hardly second hand ? The quality of some of them is disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 28 itsjustme85

Shazzy1993 wrote: »
    Hey guys :) just wondering, got invited to stage 2! Regarding to the educational needs, I got a b2 in foundation maths🙈, which is a pass and also done French once a week for "LCVP" In 5th and 6th year in secondary school, will I just keep going and hope for the best or am I wasting my time? Any help will be greatly be appericated 👌ðŸ½

Ps. I know I'm in the wrong thread, posted in the other ones too, just want to find out info asap before I go ahead to stage 2, thanks

Foundation subjects are no longer accepted. See Garda.ie, Careers, FAQs, Educational Requirements. I can't attached because I'm 'a new user'

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bopper88

Are the vests brand new when issued to you? They are hardly second hand ? The quality of some of them is disgraceful

Yep vest is new, you'll get fitted for it. A lot of the shabby looking ones are just years old. You do get a spare "cover" with them, i.e. the navy material with Garda written on it. Depending on your sergeant etc you'll have it spick and span when out and about.

Bopper88 wrote: »
    Yep vest is new, you'll get fitted for it. A lot of the shabby looking ones are just years old. You do get a spare "cover" with them, i.e. the navy material with Garda written on it. Depending on your sergeant etc you'll have it spick and span when out and about.

Sound for the info mate. It's nice to know these things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Do you get holidays while in Tempelmore?Also how many annual days leave do full time Gardai get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Vests are new. ASP and radio can be secondhand - luck of the draw.
    Do you get holidays while in Tempelmore?Also how many annual days leave do full time Gardai get?

Usually get 10 days i.e. 2 weeks during the course but that could be split all over the shop. 34 annual leave days when in station but depending on when you leave templemore that could be reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Be seen to improve each time. Don't just run out what you had to get to. Push out a few extra beeps each time you do it. No harm anyway.
    A record is kept of your scores so no harm bumping them up each time.

Advertisement