Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Yea I suppose its more time to save money, and unfortunately all the holidays are gone :( so its back to the same old crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 beaker4133

All I need to do is meet the super and that's me done! Don't know why it's taking so long to arrange a meeting!! But yeah, suppose November is the more likely start now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 beaker4133

Hey,

I lived in China for two years between 2012 and 2014...do you know has your vetting come through yet.

I am really concerned that the Chinese will take an absolute age to respond.

Cheers.

P

I lived abroad in Asia for a year also. The lady from HQ that took the form B on the day of the interview said that the Chinese were usually very quick at getting back to them regarding vetting...so hopefully you'll be in luck!

Just a wee bit if information for ye guys complaining about the length of time for vetting.
    It's guards that do the vetting, guards that deal with overseas issues about vetting.
    So, maybe someday, if you become guards, you may have to deal with vetting of Garda applicants. Along with your other responsibilities.
    Don't be moaning about the guards before you even get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 JimmyBreen

bubblypop wrote: »
    Just a wee bit if information for ye guys complaining about the length of time for vetting.
    It's guards that do the vetting, guards that deal with overseas issues about vetting.
    So, maybe someday, if you become guards, you may have to deal with vetting of Garda applicants. Along with your other responsibilities.

I don't think any one is complaining about the Garda per se, man! Just the process is a little frustrating, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

beaker4133 wrote: »
    All I need to do is meet the super and that's me done! Don't know why it's taking so long to arrange a meeting!! But yeah, suppose November is the more likely start now.

There's a few of us in the same boat but it will come in good time. See you in November bud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

VicMack wrote: »
    There's a few of us in the same boat but it will come in good time. See you in November bud!

How big are the intakes lads ? 150?

I think 150 or 200 for the next two intakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

bubblypop wrote: »

The Guards are more than likely cursing all of them considering all the work it's gonna be getting everyone vetted. Contacting different countries ect..

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

Does anybody know exactly what happens during the vetting stage?

I've recently just passed the fitness test, and I still haven't met my local Sergeant or Super, because the Sergeant is still on leave.

From what I've read, the Sergeant vets you personally, and writes a report which goes to your Super, who then interviews you and recommends you.

Your form b gets worked on by the vetting unit? and they check all the people on it?

If you have family on it who live abroad, they have to contact the police in that jurisdiction and get a police report on that person?

How long does it take for this to come back?

How long does it take to vet a person living in Ireland?

Is it just a matter of putting their name into the PULSE system, and checking for arrests etc?

Once everybody's vetting comes back clear, are you offered the job then?

Is there anything that can prevent somebody who passed every stage, and the vetting getting the job?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested in how this part of the process works. I've heard stories of people waiting up to 8 months and I'm wondering how could it actually take that long, and others seem to have it done in a few weeks.

I handed in my form b in June, and I have in total 20 people on it, 3 people living abroad, and nobody has any arrests or convictions. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 docst

AudiKid wrote: »
    Does anybody know exactly what happens during the vetting stage?

I've recently just passed the fitness test, and I still haven't met my local Sergeant or Super, because the Sergeant is still on leave.

From what I've read, the Sergeant vets you personally, and writes a report which goes to your Super, who then interviews you and recommends you.

Your form b gets worked on by the vetting unit? and they check all the people on it?

If you have family on it who live abroad, they have to contact the police in that jurisdiction and get a police report on that person?

How long does it take for this to come back?

How long does it take to vet a person living in Ireland?

Is it just a matter of putting their name into the PULSE system, and checking for arrests etc?

Once everybody's vetting comes back clear, are you offered the job then?

Is there anything that can prevent somebody who passed every stage, and the vetting getting the job?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just interested in how this part of the process works. I've heard stories of people waiting up to 8 months and I'm wondering how could it actually take that long, and others seem to have it done in a few weeks.

I handed in my form b in June, and I have in total 20 people on it, 3 people living abroad, and nobody has any arrests or convictions. Thanks

There's lads that waited a lot longer than 8 months only to be told that they are not suitable at the end of the process. I wouldn't worry about it, it is what it is but it can be a slow process.

Audikid,

When vetting the family they look for things that might connect you to crime gangs like terrorism, drugs ect...

There are 5 things they specifically vet you for drugs, terrorism ect.. (can't remember them all).

I reckon any arrests for minor things wouldnt be any big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

For our induction week are we getting our rooms for the semester?
    As in can we leave clothes and things down there instead of carrying them home and bringing them up the following week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dougie786

Hey, new to boards, sorry if posting in the wrong section. Quick question, have my interview Tuesday just wondering how long after your interviews did they let you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Silvester04

Has anyone actually ever deferred for any reason other than needing to complete their final year of college.

I tried to defer but was told each time I tried I couldn't.
    By the sounds of things it wasn't a big deal in the past to defer until the next intake.
    I really wasn't expecting September and I don't know where to go from here. It's an acceptance or pull out of the process it seems :(

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 itsjustme85

Has anyone actually ever deferred for any reason other than needing to complete their final year of college.

I tried to defer but was told each time I tried I couldn't.
    By the sounds of things it wasn't a big deal in the past to defer until the next intake.
    I really wasn't expecting September and I don't know where to go from here. It's an acceptance or pull out of the process it seems :(

Any advice or help would be appreciated.
    If they're not giving you enough time to give notice to work, e.g. if your contract states you have to give a month.
    How have you tried to defer more than once? Have you been through the whole competition before?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 FN2187

Dougie786 wrote: »
    Hey, new to boards, sorry if posting in the wrong section. Quick question, have my interview Tuesday just wondering how long after your interviews did they let you know ?

Seems to vary, but You'll be given a rough timeline on the day of the interview, mine was 2 weeks

If they're not giving you enough time to give notice to work, e.g. if your contract states you have to give a month.
    How have you tried to defer more than once? Have you been through the whole competition before?

As in I rang 2/3 times spoke to different people and also tried by email. They did give me enough notice but I have other things lined up. November would have suited me much better.

As in I rang 2/3 times spoke to different people and also tried by email. They did give me enough notice but I have other things lined up. November would have suited me much better.

You should have no problems defeating to November, but I think you can only defer your place once and that's it. What did HRM say when you called?

VicMack wrote: »
    You should have no problems defeating to November, but I think you can only defer your place once and that's it. What did HRM say when you called?

Yeah I have never been in the process before nor have I deferred before.
    They told me they only allow deferrals for final year of college.
    I only want until the next intake.

• Advertisement

You will need a really good reason of why you need to defer then.

November would suit me better, but I'd take September in a heart beat.

Congratulations on your offer

You will need a really good reason of why you need to defer then.

November would suit me better, but I'd take September in a heart beat.

Congratulations on your offer

Thanks ! I know it looks like I'm not greatful for the offer but I am !
    Looks like it's September !
    Hope you get called soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Got the information pack this morning...gonna be a pricey week. Anyone else get there's?

Got the information pack this morning...gonna be a pricey week. Anyone else get there's?

Whats on it? If you don't mind telling me...

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Whats on it? If you don't mind telling me...

yes. Any chance you could tell us?? I don't see it answered anywhere and have been following these threads for a while. Be interested to see what's ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭i-ron

Yep got mine today too. Gonna be expensive alright.

Here's a question..

Lads with degrees get extra pay/allowance for it. Would that have to be a full time degree over 3 - 4 years or could it be a part time degree done in a shorter span of time. You could do a level 7/8 degree within 6 months if you do it part time.

i-ron wrote: »
    Yep got mine today too. Gonna be expensive alright.

Could someone please explain what kind of things are listed in the information pack? Even just a brief list of what's needed so I can get working on it now rather than in November!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

Bad news lads, battlefield 1 beta is open from the 31 Aug, will miss a good bit of it down there for the induction week. Think the staff will set up a room or something :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

I'm in the exact same boat. I really could do with the next intake. I've got so many commitments to break :( just got the shout yesterday

Advertisement