Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Garda Trainees (Templemore)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

paulpaul85 wrote: »
    Thinking someone here could help me out with a question, searched Google but couldn't find any information whatsoever.

A distant cousin of mine rang last night. Told me he has joined the Gardai and is going through the vetting process. He is looking for information on aunts uncles and cousins - name, address, D.O.B etc. But he also requested I tell him my place of work and job title.

Now I've just recently lost my job and haven't told very many people as I'm trying to get back on my feet ASAP. I told him to give me an email address and I would get back to him with the information. I have no convictions so I'm not worried there, but I just don't want to have to tell him I've been let go from work as I fear (through family gossip) it'll end up getting back to my folks who aren't well and in their 70s and I don't want them to know.

Do I really need to tell this cousin information like that so he can join the Gardai?
    Keep in mind until last night I hadn't spoken to this guy since we were 12 (I'm 31 now).

I considered asking him to leave me off the form but then I fear he'll think I'm into something much worse than being fired from work!

If I was you I'd just give him your details, and include your previous job as if you still worked there.

I know your in a difficult position, but I doubt the Gards will phone your previous job, and even if they did I'm sure they won't really care if your employed or not.

From reading through the forums I think they just want to know this information for when your cousin gets his station.

So if you live in Dublin, but work in Bray then he'd be unlikely to get stationed in Wicklow? That's just what I gather from it anyway.

I could be wrong but that's what I'd do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

RedmondHR wrote: »
    Will post about what we done after the week to give yous all a heads up!

Please do Redmond. I've everything done now including meeting the Super, so hopefully I'll bump into you in September/ November.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

AudiKid wrote: »
    Please do Redmond. I've everything done now including meeting the Super, so hopefully I'll bump into you in September/ November.

Sure will meet yous all in Pollys:p

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Sure pollys is only a 30yard stumble back to the college. How do we identify other boardsies?

Sure pollys is only a 30yard stumble back to the college. How do we identify other boardsies?

Well will literally be stumbling back to the college :p
    We will have a set phrase to help identify us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭df14

Well will literally be stumbling back to the college :p
    We will have a set phrase to help identify us!

Once someone posts and our phones all go off we will make the secret nod to each other

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Hey folks, it's been a while since I posted! Ended up failing the physical first time round but passed the second time no bother.

Heading down the 29th Redmond, I read you're heading down then too. Are there many other boardsies heading down in September?

How's everyone getting on with final preps and does anyone have extra hints or tips?

Ive been told to bleach the sink as soon as you get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 itsjustme85

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    Hey folks, it's been a while since I posted! Ended up failing the physical first time round but passed the second time no bother.

Heading down the 29th Redmond, I read you're heading down then too. Are there many other boardsies heading down in September?

How's everyone getting on with final preps and does anyone have extra hints or tips?

LOL, first I heard of that! I'm in 29th also, have a few bits n pieces to get today. Big mix of excitement and nerves

SmileyPaul wrote: »

Will be seeing yourselves down there there! Congratulations on getting it!

To be honest havnt much of a clue of how much things I will need. Couple for the shirts, socks boxers. Cash, swim shorts. Gym gear.

Unfortunately I have heard about the sink.
    Granted when you wake up in the middle of the night walk down to the toilets or to the sink to relieve yourself, let you imagine the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 61_Eh123

This could be a stupid question but any how.. In the information pack with the list of items to have the first one is suit of plain clothes is it suits there on about and if so what do girls wear on their feet.

• Advertisement

61_Eh123 wrote: »
    This could be a stupid question but any how.. In the information pack with the list of items to have the first one is suit of plain clothes is it suits there on about and if so what do girls wear on their feet.

Yea suits, I'm guessing it's juts formal wear. I would guess whatever you wore to your interview.
    Drop into your local station and ask one of the garda there.

This has probably been asked and answered but how strict are they on the white runners? Most in the shops are mainly coloured from what I saw

df14 wrote: »
    This has probably been asked and answered but how strict are they on the white runners? Most in the shops are mainly coloured from what I saw

Say you will be grand. General consensus is that they are quiet relaxed about the colours.

Anyone have an idea of the hep C vaccine ? Says if applicable? Can't make heads or tails about it!

Say you will be grand. General consensus is that they are quiet relaxed about the colours.

Anyone have an idea of the hep C vaccine ? Says if applicable? Can't make heads or tails about it!

I'd say we will have to get it a later stage if we don't have it already

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

Don't worry about the runners being white. Very few of us have white ones. They're not even looked at. Re the Hep C. If you have had any jabs bring written confirmation of where and when. If not you will be getting the jabs in the college.

Hopefully none of us have a fear of needles. Bit of an occupational hazard if your based in Dublin.... I wonder how many jabs they give us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

Just a quick question, The initial 34wks training period includes 2 reading weeks, what are reading weeks?

Might be a silly question but I'd like to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 beaker4133

Gnr_Iver wrote: »
    Just a quick question, The initial 34wks training period includes 2 reading weeks, what are reading weeks?

Might be a silly question but I'd like to know.

I'd imagine it's the same as college, so you'd have two weeks off but you are probably expected to study or do any assignments you may have.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭laotg

The hepatitis immunisation is the same no matter where you are. You get three jabs over a few months. You then get a blood test to ensure you are carrying the antibodies.

• Advertisement

What sort of jabs do we get while in training? Are they just for Hep C or are there more like tetnis etc.

How's the packing going lads !

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

How's the packing going lads !

Hi...Is it Monday the 1st batch from the 2015 campaign starting Templemore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AMC_23

Is everyone just moving all their stuff down the first week? Im unsure what all to bring..

VW73 wrote: »
    Hi...Is it Monday the 1st batch from the 2015 campaign starting Templemore ?

Combo of the 2014 Caimpagn and the 2015 campaign.

AMC_23 wrote: »
    Is everyone just moving all their stuff down the first week? Im unsure what all to bring..

Im bringing everything down. Just gonna leave it in my booth until we get our rooms. Dunno what people are doing if they dont have a car though. Not starting until the 5th though so anyone on the 29th can give the rest of us a heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭VW73

Excellent, best of luck to everyone starting off,

Best of luck to everyone starting on Monday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 robemurphy

Nerves are only starting to set in now , hurry up Monday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 beaker4133

Yea best of luck lads! Let us all know how it goes...hopefully be seeing you down there in November! I'm sure the craic will be great the first few weeks anyway, few pints to be had!

Advertisement