Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes for work

• 07-08-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Got a new job recently and people my level tend to wear shirts, no ties, chinos/ suit pants + no tie. I'm wondering where I could go in Dublin to get an affordable and fashionable wardrobe.. My budget is 300 or so.. I want new chinos/ suit pants, cotton shirts, jumpers.

Any idea?
    Ross

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Marks and spencers should have what you need, good quality and reasonable prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I feel sorry for you as that "smart casual" look is a minefield. Its so hard to get right and not look like some schmo. I see guys walking around in matching blue shirts and navy trousers and its just a bleh look.

At the same time, you can't go around in a suit and tie if it is not required. What I would do is look perhaps at augmenting the dreaded shirt / trousers look with some nice fitted shirts, good slacks, suede shoes, and a blazer with a nice pocket square.

Or if you can get away with it, a fitted black polo neck over some nice grey check trousers.

TM Lewin have decent "smart" shirts with interesting patterns, they also do decent blazers / sports coats. M&S is good too; a good range and very good value for what you are getting.

Avoid black shoes with this look - go for a suede or a brown / tan shoe - not pointed or raised at the toe, something a bit more classic. Even something like a mocassin or a driving shoe.

Whatever you do, you can make this look work for you, and get away from the decidedly average look most Irish guys go for in the "smart casual" zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I know - it truly is a minefield of awkwardness! I am going in today to have a look after work. The problem is that I HATE shopping (hence why I posted). Thanks for the replies. I'm 28 and slim enough and want to dress smartly but a bit of a quirk would be nice. Damn my lack of creativity with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Do some Google searching, type in "smart casual men" or browse through Style Forum and get ideas. We're not fashion designers so we need some guidance when it comes to what to wear.

They key though is a range of smart, fitted shirts, sharp trousers, and then the rest is dressing - the type of coat you wear, the shoes, scarves, hats, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Try Zara too.

I

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 770 ✭✭✭ComputerKing

Business wear is an absolute minefeild. If you want to look well and stand out from the crowd make sure you get some good fitting slacks and shirts. You may need to get them tailored to fit right if the fit isn't great off the rack but it definitely makes a difference.

Shoes wise I'd look at getting a few pairs possibly a pair of cbds, some brown leather wingtips and maybe some black bluchers to start off. Now these will be expensive if you get good quality pairs but if you keep them in good condition and take care of them rotating them and using shoe trees they should last years.

Lastly I'd say you could possibly get one or two nice wool sports coats and a pocket squares and fold them with the TV fold. Only do this now if you'd fit it it might look a but formal for the work place you've described though.

Now just to note all of this will be way outside your budget. I'd start off with good fitting slacks and shirts rember get them tailored. If you don't have a good pair of shoes already I'd get the cbds and a pair of cheap shoes for the winter. You get get better ones later. Then lastly when you have more money later you can add the sports coats and more shoes and higher quality clothes.

Advertisement