Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency lights wiring

Options
  • 07-08-2014 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Basically the way all the lights in our house are wired are permanent live at each light and brown brown earth to each switch. If I wanted to add some emergancy lights in the hallways incase there was a power cut just so you can see going down the stairs. Would there be an issues with wiring in a non maintained emergency bulkhead into The wiring for the lights ie looping it of the lights.

I am aware this would not be the correct way of doing it as in bigger building you would have a seperate 1.5mm emergency feed with contactors and a ctu and the distribution board. But this is only a house and flicking of the mcb would be enough to test them considering there would only be 2-3 not 100s in some bigger buildings.

Should mention the light circuits are wired with standard T+e 1.5mm cable and the circuits are protected with 10amp MCB's. Any thoughts opinions. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It would work.
    I was considering doing this in my own home with a few small discreet LED lights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

it may be ok?

the last time I heard you didn't need to provide "central testing" for domestic EL

unless its changed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

it may be ok?

the last time I heard you didn't need to provide "central testing" for domestic EL

unless its changed

Yes, to comply with emergency lighting regulations there would have to be a CTU.
    But if you are not looking to certify it it will work.

The OP just wants it for his/her own home, has to be better than nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

2011 wrote: »
    Yes, to comply with emergency lighting regulations there would have to be a CTU.

is it required for domestic now?

i heard from someone running a EL training course that domestic didn't require a CTU, but that was a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

It would work.
    I was considering doing this in my own home with a few small discreet LED lights.

Any links to the type of led's you mentioned?
    I have had 4 power outs in the last two months , longest one only lasted an hour an a half but it is still a pain in the arse:D sitting in the dark:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Thanks everyone for the help. I just want a few around the stair areas/ landings in my own house that's all. Nothing fancy or anything just if the was a power cut and it was dark. As for the ctu I've never seen one in a house only in bigger buildings. Easy enough for me to flick of the relevant mcb every so often to check they work. Now just need to find somewhere to get them. Anywhere good to get them online. Or if not I'll just go to my local electrical supplier. I'm just looking for standard white bulkhead ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

Bpmull wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the help. I just want a few around the stair areas/ landings in my own house that's all. Nothing fancy or anything just if the was a power cut and it was dark. As for the ctu I've never seen one in a house only in bigger buildings. Easy enough for me to flick of the relevant mcb every so often to check they work. Now just need to find somewhere to get them. Anywhere good to get them online. Or if not I'll just go to my local electrical supplier. I'm just looking for standard white bulkhead ones.

www.meteorelectrical.com/lighting_emergency-lighting_8w-3hr-emergency-non-maintained-bulkhead.html

Probably cheaper in your local wholesaler though

crasy dash wrote: »
    Any links to the type of led's you mentioned?
    I have had 4 power outs in the last two months , longest one only lasted an hour an a half but it is still a pain in the arse:D sitting in the dark:pac:

Check this out:

http://www.emergency-lighting-direct.co.uk/led-emergency-lighting-products/led-emergency-downlights/3-watt-120lm-led-maintained-white-downlight-kit.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭crasy dash

Thanks for that 2011 thats a nice site you linked to:)
    Im sure to find what i want on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Just said I'd put a conclusion on this. I got 3 thorn emergency bulkhead t5 8w non maintained so just standard ones. Have two up on the landings and they are great. I've tested them at night by turning off all the lights and flicking the MCB's and it's amazing how much area they light up you could safely walk down the stairs. Going to put the last one up somewhere downstairs haven't decided yet. Overall happy out. I can't understand why there not in every house yet you never see them I think they are a good idea anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The OP just wants it for his/her own home, has to be better than nothing.

Not necessarily it could be a self test fitting.:)
    I agree 100% though with it just being ok for the home, I installed a couple for a family friend a while back on the landing light looped the permanent live from the switch.

was also thinking of an LED on the landing at home too

Advertisement