Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICT Software Development Hdip in LIT

Options
  • 07-08-2014 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Has anyone any experience of computer science in LIT or any experience relating to this course at LIT?

Delighted that I've gotten a response confirming my place. I'm impressed with the outline of the course, and the application process has been really smooth so far, but I've also heard horror stories relating to LIT. They could be just fiction but I'm nervous so I'm casting my net out here for any response at all.

Module description and course layout are attached too. It seems like a nice layout.

Any and all feedback appreciated, folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

I'd even appreciate wild speculation at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    I'd even appreciate wild speculation at this stage...

It looks similar to many of the H-Dips that are run around the country in Colleges and Unis. Programming, uml and an outline of computer architecture. Can't say how useful it would be in getting a job as I'm only a student at this stage. Try and hit the ground running is my advice - there is no lack of work you can do for programming. Try and get to know the lecturers as generally if anyone knows about the jobs coming from the H-Dip it will be them.

It has work experience included and you can be sure they wouldn't want you if you weren't going to make them money, so one would assume that they back this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

I'd agree with what the other poster says about getting stuck in to the work and also 'cosying up' to the lecturers - they'll be in a position to recommend the best students from the course to prospective employers.

A couple of other things that might be useful to keep in mind:

the course material and syllabus should be regarded as the bare minimum to get a very basic idea of the kind if work you could be doing if you move on to a career in IT. You'll need to put in a lot of work over and above what is normally a course designed for the average students rather than those who wish to excel.

Make sure to align yourself with similar students too - hard workers will help each other whereas the coasters will attempt to get you to do their work for them.

Good luck with the course!

All sound advice, and with the best intentions, it's advice I'll be trying to follow. I want a first, and I won't be working so it seems like it'll be possible to get that. Hopefully the best of all possible starts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    It has work experience included and you can be sure they wouldn't want you if you weren't going to make them money, so one would assume that they back this course?

No, I'd say it is more social responsibility.

Also, a lot of places have graduate programmes, so would be on the lookout for future employees.

Treat it as one big job interview.

Advertisement