Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hamstring / Quad strength

• 07-08-2014 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Coming back to exercising after an 18 month layoff (injury/work commitments) I've decided to give my legs more attention this time - don't want to be one of those in shape on top but cover up the legs to hide the shame types (....anymore).

I was wondering what strength ratio should I be looking for between my quads and hamstrings - I know there's a rule of thumb for squats/ bench/ deadlift, was wondering is there one for these two muscle groups?

Any advice on how to help the hamstrings keep up with the quads would also be appreciated.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Well a good beginner milestone is 2 x bw deadlift and 1.5 x bw squat. So they tend to be in that ballpark ratio. But then you see people with squats approaching their deadlifts.. it depends on your height, leverages, what lift you prefer and concentrate on more etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

conzy wrote: »
    Well a good beginner milestone is 2 x bw deadlift and 1.5 x bw squat. So they tend to be in that ballpark ratio. But then you see people with squats approaching their deadlifts.. it depends on your height, leverages, what lift you prefer and concentrate on more etc etc

Thanks for the reply that is something that's very useful to know, but I guess what I really mean is for exercises like leg extensions and leg curls what should the strength ratio be between my quads and hamstrings?

I've seen lots of people with highly developed quads, but their hamstrings always seem to lag way behind. I'm just wondering how to try to prevent a muscle imbalance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply that is something that's very useful to know, but I guess what I really mean is for exercises like leg extensions and leg curls what should the strength ratio be between my quads and hamstrings?

I've seen lots of people with highly developed quads, but their hamstrings always seem to lag way behind. I'm just wondering how to try to prevent a muscle imbalance

I wouldn't be using a leg extension:hamstring curl ratio to assess them. Work them both hard on assistance exercises and use compounds to assess where any weaknesses lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I know there's a rule of thumb for squats/ bench/ deadlift, was wondering is there one for these two muscle groups?

What squat/bench/dead ratio are you using?
    Squats and deadlifts should be your main quad and hamstring movements

Mellor wrote: »
    What squat/bench/dead ratio are you using?

When I mentioned bench/squat/dead ratio I was only using this as an example (I think its 3/4/5 for novice/intermediate) . I was wondering does a similar ratio exist for quads/hamstring, but apparently not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I've seen a ratio mentioned somewhere in the region of your hamstring curls should be at least 75% of your leg extension.

That said, I don't think I'd be using that to test where either is at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

For goodness sake man don't forget the glutes!

(also calves)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

I believe it is the total volume (i.e. poundage / kilo-age?) lifted on an ongoing basis that should be in balance, not just the weight used in one exercise vs another.

I have heard a hip dominant : quad dominant ratio of 2 : 1 but it's just hearsay; I can't defend it.

At its simplest, for example, if in a week the only hip dominant exercise you do is dead lifting 100k for 5 x 5 then that's 2500kg of hip dominant volume. Your quad dominant volume should then come in at 1250kg. So if the only quad dominant exercise you do is front squats, then you could do 5 x 5 with 50kg, or 4 x 5 with 62.5kg, and so on.

If this is too light for you, then this tells you that you need to add more hip dominant volume. If it's too heavy for you, then you need to add more quad dominant volume. Etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I believe it is the total volume (i.e. poundage / kilo-age?) lifted on an ongoing basis that should be in balance, not just the weight used in one exercise vs another.

I have heard a hip dominant : quad dominant ratio of 2 : 1 but it's just hearsay; I can't defend it.

At its simplest, for example, if in a week the only hip dominant exercise you do is dead lifting 100k for 5 x 5 then that's 2500kg of hip dominant volume. Your quad dominant volume should then come in at 1250kg. So if the only quad dominant exercise you do is front squats, then you could do 5 x 5 with 50kg, or 4 x 5 with 62.5kg, and so on.

If this is too light for you, then this tells you that you need to add more hip dominant volume. If it's too heavy for you, then you need to add more quad dominant volume. Etc. etc.
    Will Heffernan posted about it in the past.
    It's more about balancing/assessing a program than strength imbalances. Both are important.

I think the target ratio was 1.5:1 (and up to 2:1)
    It also included a 1:1 Push:Pull ratio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

If you are doing High Bar Squats there is no need for any other quad exercise imo. But it would be good to do some other posterior chain exercises like Deadlifts,RDL's & Hip Thrusts. Its more often that your quads will be stronger than glutes & hamstrings.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »

I guess I just don't want to become bored with my routine if its just all about squats and deadlifts (but I know that you mean these wouldn't be you're only exercise, just the main ones)
    MD1990 wrote: »
    But it would be good to do some other posterior chain exercises like Deadlifts,RDL's & Hip Thrusts.

This is what I was thinking, try to mix it up a bit with these and maybe a few barbell lunges, leg extensions and leg curls - not all in the one routine obviously!
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Its more often that your quads will be stronger than glutes & hamstrings.

Yes, this is what I thought, I just didn't want to put together a programme that would allow my quads totally outpace my hams.

"Hip dominant" is a new term to me but I think I know what you mean. Ok, I'll keep an eye on this over the next few months and see how I get on.

Advertisement