Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip rough spots

Options
  • 07-08-2014 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

We are thinking about buying a house in Leixlip. Our main options are :

Riverforest
    Oaklawn
    Glen Easton

Also any estates to avoid/rough spots in Leixlip? (e.g. Lough na Mona, Beechpark- any comments?). Anything else relevant we should know about?

Thanks a million!
    Julia

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kiferea

kiferea wrote: »
    Hi all,

Riverforest
    Oaklawn
    Glen Easton

Also any estates to avoid/rough spots in Leixlip? (e.g. Lough na Mona, Beechpark- any comments?). Anything else relevant we should know about?

Thanks a million!
    Julia

Awh and also - I really liked Riverforest, but my OH has some doubts about it.

Any comments?
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Riverforest is nice but some houses are old and in disrepair need modernising. No real bad areas but like anywhere you run risk of bad neighbours. Loughnamona probably worst rep, but not really bad. Try get near train stations (there are 2 of them) for easy access to Dublin city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

It all depends.

Have you got kids? Or are you planning any? Depending on where you live you could have a bit of a trek to get the kids to school in the mornings

Where do you work? If it's in town, where are the bus and train stations?

Have you specific dietary requirements? Where will you buy your food? leixlip only has a largeish Super Valu up the captains hill, an Aldi (or Lidl, i'm constantly getting them mixed up) down the other end of the town, and a couple of EuroSpar's....

What do you do for fun? Would you be planning on having a night out in Leixlip or are you someone who prefers going into town? Because that will make you think about public transport links again...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Hi all,

Riverforest
    Oaklawn
    Glen Easton

Thanks a million!
    Julia

Leixlip is well settled for the most part. Just steer clear of anywhere up Captain's Hill :pac:

Grew up in Oaklawn West and I turned out OK. Oaklawn / Oaklawn west are queit, settled estates, all the kids have grown up and moved out in most houses.

Couldn't tell you too much about River Forest or Glen Easton though.

Thanks very much everyone

• Advertisement

It all depends.

Have you got kids? Or are you planning any? Depending on where you live you could have a bit of a trek to get the kids to school in the mornings

Where do you work? If it's in town, where are the bus and train stations?

Have you specific dietary requirements? Where will you buy your food? leixlip only has a largeish Super Valu up the captains hill, an Aldi (or Lidl, i'm constantly getting them mixed up) down the other end of the town, and a couple of EuroSpar's....

What do you do for fun? Would you be planning on having a night out in Leixlip or are you someone who prefers going into town? Because that will make you think about public transport links again...

The two requirements are- the house must be near the train station ( the above mentioned estates are) and it must be not in a rough area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Do you mean Easton park rather than Glen Easton?

There is also Glendale Estate and Newtown Estate up the Captains Hill. If you are looking at Riverforest you may as well consider them. Also, depending on which part of Riverforest, it could be over a kilometre walk up to the train station.

I guess it all depends on your definition of close.

Thanks everyone

We can always check how close the estate is to a train station and how close the supermarkets are to the estate. I dont think we need any assistance with this, thank you.

Can we please go back to the original question - are u aware of any rough estates/spots in Leixlip?

Also any comments on Glen Easton ( I meant Glen Easton, not Easton Park) , Riverforest,Oaklawn/Oaklawn West?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭2011abc

Pm Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I grew up in Leixlip, Up the Hill and there were no real rough spots. Only place people would comment about was Avondale and TBH I say that's probably the same about any council estate. River forest for the most part is quiet just don't buy a house that backs on to any of the forest areas as there is lanes that run past there and you will get people hanging around. Also bear in mind that there is a large secondary school at the end of riverforest so there is a large amount of teenage traffic through the estate during school times.

Glendale and Glendale meadows are also very settled estates too and there is a brilliant park ( St Catherine's) at the end of Glendale meadows. http://www.stcatherinespark.ie/ But the housing stock in Glendale meadows isn't as good as in Glendale. Rail and Bus access is easy from Riverforest, Glendale, Glendale meadows and Newtown there is a bus stop (66A) at the shops and the train station is within a 10 min walk from most of these estates.

I also lived in the far bend and had a good few farbender mates and still do. They were in Cedar park (old Council) Oaklawn, Castle town, Rinawade and Louisa valley. These estates were all grand no real anti social behavior issues. I did also know a few people in knocknamona and I wouldn't personally buy here, Ive walked through the place during the day and found groups of middle aged men and teens drinking cans on their walls. Not what I would like for a view. There is good access here too to the bus (66 and 66B) also a second Rail station ( Louisa bridge ).

I Hope this gives you a good Idea of what your looking at. All the best in your search and just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons have you looked at maynooth? It really has a lot more going for it.:confused:

• Advertisement

Thank you !

Thank you !

What about Elton Court? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

I actually Lived in Elton Court for a couple of years and It was fine. No problems with anti social behavior or anything like that. Big green area to the front of the estate but nothing much else in the way of play areas for kiddies. It was always quite enough there tbh. The Gardens are small enough too but the houses themselves seem to be of reasonable build quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

There are no rough estates in Leixlip, although I wouldn't be a huge fan of Avondale and moreso Loughnamona. A lot of the estates are 30+ years old and are starting to look tatty, probably more to do with design than anything else, e.g. houses weren't built with front garden walls, so owners have built random garden walls since.

Glen Easton is fine. It's a tidy estate (the developer built the garden walls!) and property prices are rising quite fast there. It is a little disconnected tho in terms of transport as the train station is ~20 mins walk away and there is no regular bus service going past tho there is a 66X in the mornings.

Glendale is probably slightly better than River Forest as the houses are all a bit bigger (they all have garages), and it has St. Catherine's Park beside it, (which is a very good park thanks in large part to SDCC who co-own it with KCC) while still being close to the train station, shops, schools and bus stop. Neither have any serious anti social behaviour though they are attracting graffiti taggers from Loughnamona and Cabra if the current round is anything to go by.

Thank you so much everyone! very helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭2011abc

Did you take the plunge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 lmf

Could i get some info on the Rinawade estate and general area? Also, the walk to the train from there, would prob be looking at 25 mins at least? Is the parking at Leixlip Louise Bridge plentiful?
    thanks a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

lmf wrote: »
    Could i get some info on the Rinawade estate and general area? Also, the walk to the train from there, would prob be looking at 25 mins at least? Is the parking at Leixlip Louise Bridge plentiful?
    thanks a lot.

New-ish houses in Rinawade which are very well laid out internally. How far from Louisa Bridge Station depends on where in the estate you are; we used live at the front and it was less than 15 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

lmf wrote: »
    Is the parking at Leixlip Louise Bridge plentiful?
    It usually looks fairly packed at 18:00, so I suppose it depends when you'll be putting the car there.

The 66X goes past Rinawade at 07:40 and 08:00 in the mornings, to UCD Belfield. I think it bypasses Lucan and Chapelizod.

Oaklawn is probably your best bet. Decent sized houses, and near the train station and bus stop. Some may need a refurbishment, however, but that's the same with any 2nd hand house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

n97 mini wrote: »
    There are no rough estates in Leixlip, although I wouldn't be a huge fan of Avondale and moreso Loughnamona. A lot of the estates are 30+ years old and are starting to look tatty, probably more to do with design than anything else, e.g. houses weren't built with front garden walls, so owners have built random garden walls since.

I grew up in Avondale in the 80/90s and never got the stigma of it being rough :confused: apart from the view that it was a council estate. I still have family there. Now Loughnamona is a different story.

I would agree that they started to show there age awhile ago tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Hey folks.

I'd really love some elaboration if possible, on Avondale. Viewed a house there recently and got a nice vibe from the area. Estate agent mentioned that a few years ago it would have had a bit of a name, due to it being an ex council estate. Can anyone confirm if it's a ****-hole or not? I just want to know if I should steer clear!!

Thanks in advance!!

Well i cant add much to my above post but my family that are still there like it and from my visiting experiences there is still a nice friendly vibe from neighbors.
    Where about's are you looking in the estate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

The house i looked at is right at the front when you drive into Avondale. It looks like a nice area.

If it's the 1 i'm thinking of you would be neighbors with my autie LOL.
    School,shops,doctor,dentist ect all within a 5-10min walk,the only annoyance i would have is walking to the village,well not walking to it more walking back from it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mods: Sorry for bumping this old thread, but it came up in a google search, and I felt the need to defend where I live.
    I don't want to put others off buying a house here.
    ElKavo wrote: »
    I grew up in Leixlip, Up the Hill and there were no real rough spots. Only place people would comment about was Avondale and TBH I say that's probably the same about any council estate.
    n97 mini wrote: »
    There are no rough estates in Leixlip, although I wouldn't be a huge fan of Avondale and moreso Loughnamona.
    Hold on a second there, folks.
    Apart from a 9 year stint in Glendale, I have lived my entire life in Avondale, and I'm almost 43 years old. The same age as the estate.
    The worst thing that ever happened here was one person stabbing another in a fight over a girl, and neither of them were from Avondale (the girl was, but she was innocent in that incident).
    That happened in the late 80's, back when there was a slightly rough element here, but the place has been very quiet since the early 90's.

I can honestly say that I would never move from here, even if I won the Euro millions. The people here are some of the nicest and friendliest people I have ever known. Yes, there are some arseholes, but you're going to get them whereever you live.

Almost every person I grew up with (and there was at least 200 kids my age, or about 1 to 4 years younger or older) went on to be a productive member of society.

To this day, I still have people telling me that they would love to live here.

Stealthirl wrote: »
    I grew up in Avondale in the 80/90s and never got the stigma of it being rough :confused: apart from the view that it was a council estate. I still have family there. Now Loughnamona is a different story.

I would agree that they started to show there age awhile ago tho
    I've no idea who you are (probably knew you in the 80's), but I do agree with your confusion over the stigma of Avondale being a council estate.
    Almost every adult in the estate worked (both of my parents did, but only part time because she had to look after me when I came home from school), and being on the dole was more of a stigma to us than living in a council house was.

I had friends whose parents' wouldn't let them hang around with me because I was from Avondale. Some of those friends ended up doing time, while most of the people i grew up with have never even visited someone in prison.
    Niamho! wrote: »
    Hey folks.

I'd really love some elaboration if possible, on Avondale. Viewed a house there recently and got a nice vibe from the area. Estate agent mentioned that a few years ago it would have had a bit of a name, due to it being an ex council estate. Can anyone confirm if it's a ****-hole or not? I just want to know if I should steer clear!!

Thanks in advance!!

It's not a ****-hole, but you've probably bought a house somewhere else since then.

Terry wrote: »
    I've no idea who you are (probably knew you in the 80's), but I do agree with your confusion over the stigma of Avondale being a council estate.
    Almost every adult in the estate worked (both of my parents did, but only part time because she had to look after me when I came home from school), and being on the dole was more of a stigma to us than living in a council house was.

I had friends whose parents' wouldn't let them hang around with me because I was from Avondale. Some of those friends ended up doing time, while most of the people i grew up with have never even visited someone in prison.

Iv an idea who you are :D i'll say 1002 and 1028 and you might have an idea of my family

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Iv an idea who you are :D i'll say 1002 and 1028 and you might have an idea of my family

There's also 1045, and (formerly) 1016. :)

Some of my cousins were, or still are, in 1037, 1047, 1067, 1073, and 1074.

My mother and "Nanny" were close friends.
    Old Leixlip families were huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

How's Green Lane? We've a young family so looks like we'll served for amenities like sports clubs nearby and not far from village or train.

Would love Maynooth but nothing seems to be coming available

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sean Seoighe

Same as above but for River Forest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

They're both fine. Would be down to the individual house for me when choosing between them. Green lane has some one off houses built on individual sites. Riverforest is 750 odd houses in the estate. The walk from back to the front can be very long. Avoid woodside for that reason, it's a very long walk to anywhere

Advertisement