Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrianisation of Swords Main St?

Options
  • 07-08-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I was walking home through Main st this evening with the road closed to traffic between Chapel Lane and Malahide Road. There was music playing from the pubs and restaurants as people just strolled down the road and it struck me how much better Swords is when the traffic is gone.

Could this be the solution that we are looking for to revitalise the village? A total change in emphasis and possible influx of new businesses in a town square type environment.

Obviously there are infrastructural considerations re; the redirection of existing traffic and such but with a little planning and public consultation it would be manageable.

What think ye, Swordsies & Boardsies?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

rock whore wrote: »
    I was walking home through Main st this evening with the road closed to traffic between Chapel Lane and Malahide Road. There was music playing from the pubs and restaurants as people just strolled down the road and it struck me how much better Swords is when the traffic is gone.

Could this be the solution that we are looking for to revitalise the village? A total change in emphasis and possible influx of new businesses in a town square type environment.

Obviously there are infrastructural considerations re; the redirection of existing traffic and such but with a little planning and public consultation it would be manageable.

What think ye, Swordsies & Boardsies?

the council could open up their executive car park and provide more spaces and make more money.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I love the idea, but I have a feeling it might be bad for a lot of the businesses on Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

That's a possibility alright. Some existing establishments might be adversely effected.

I wonder are there any local business owners/employees on here who have views on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

i think it's a great idea actually. i never ever drive down the main street any more. i always use alternate routes. its a horrible road with horrible parking and i would like to think that it would have a positive impact on business in the general area of the main street.

of course alternative parking would need to be sourced as well as clearly laid out alternative routes. i dont know whether or not that would be possible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I went up to the bank yesterday and there was a noticeably different atmosphere about the place. One woman coming out of the bank at the same time as me actually commented how nice and quiet it was and I overheard another similar conversation on my way back. There certainly seemed to be a lighter feeling around.

I think a big change would have to be thought out very carefully but could work very well. I have seen areas of big cities revitalised by turning to (for example) vintage shops, second hand book shops, nice coffee shops, etc. They become a bit of a destination over time. Think of a place like Hay-on-Wye. Although it's in the country, it's made a name for itself and people actually travel to it all year round. The Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg area of Berlin managed something similar.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I have seen areas of big cities revitalised by turning to (for example) vintage shops, second hand book shops, nice coffee shops, etc

In my opinion that's the best solution and then pedestrianisation would make sense. It would completely transform the Main Street, and would really put Swords on the map if the castle was a tourist attraction too. Does anyone have any idea how long the works on the castle will take?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

An absolutely fantastic idea OP. I'd be fearful however it would kill any existing business left on the main street with the exception of pubs and bars.

How do we actually make this happen?

Genealogy Forum Mod

How do we actually make this happen?
    Seems to be some concern about existing businesses in the area so I suppose it would require their support to even be a runner.

If local businesses or Chamber of Commerce bought into it then the Council would definitely have to consider the idea.

The redirection of traffic away form the Main St might also bring objections from residents in effected areas e.g. Chapel Lane, Seatown Road, Watery Lane, North St and Bridge st and the North end of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

rock whore wrote: »
    Seems to be some concern about existing businesses in the area so I suppose it would require their support to even be a runner.

If local businesses or Chamber of Commerce bought into it then the Council would definitely have to consider the idea.

The redirection of traffic away form the Main St might also bring objections from residents in effected areas e.g. Chapel Lane, Seatown Road, Watery Lane, North St and Bridge st and the North end of the street.

In other words, forget about it. How would businesses be affected?

• Advertisement

dsmythy wrote: »
    In other words, forget about it. How would businesses be affected?

I meant concern from posters here rather than from business owners. I would be interested to hear what they think about it though. Does anyone know of any Facebook or Twitter pages for Swords local businesses that would be good for canvassing opinions? Might try posting on Swordstodays' fb page

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

As a non-local, Swords Main Street has a lot of character compared to what I would have thought. There's a lot of potential for the Main Street, especially given the huge residential expansion that's to come in Swords. A more pleasant experience can be gained without necessarily closing off the street to cars. Making it easier to cross from one side of the street to the other seems to be the main problem, which is relatively uncontentious to remedy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Aard wrote: »
    As a non-local, Swords Main Street has a lot of character compared to what I would have thought. There's a lot of potential for the Main Street, especially given the huge residential expansion that's to come in Swords. A more pleasant experience can be gained without necessarily closing off the street to cars. Making it easier to cross from one side of the street to the other seems to be the main problem, which is relatively uncontentious to remedy.

There are four sets of lights/zebra crossings from the castle to the old boro where people can cross easily! How many more do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I think it's a great idea. Would it be mad to suggest the pedestrianisation only be at certain times of the day to meet the other businesses half way. I don't know what times to suggest.

Or would a one way traffic system be a compromise or just a nuisance?

Pipmae wrote: »
    I think it's a great idea. Would it be mad to suggest the pedestrianisation only be at certain times of the day to meet the other businesses half way. I don't know what times to suggest.

Or would a one way traffic system be a compromise or just a nuisance?

You know the massive car park at the main street end of north street?

Monday to Friday that is used by senior staff in the council, they've a second at the end of the side road it is on (seatown?)

I'd suggest that outside of 9-6 M-F main street be pedestrianised from the castle up to the old boro, and that car park used as a parking facility

Extra income for the council in parking, increased business evenings and weekends, opportunity for a market style street on Sat/Sun?

Or am I mad?

That's a great idea, Stheno. I've often passed by both carparks at the weekend and thought what a waste.

I also like the idea that cars are not allowed at certain times. Doesn't Grafton St have something like this?

Even the idea of removing the parking from that section of the street would be great.

And while we're playing fantasy better Swords: can we have a postbox back on the Main St, please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

That's a great idea, Stheno. I've often passed by both carparks at the weekend and thought what a waste.

I also like the idea that cars are not allowed at certain times. Doesn't Grafton St have something like this?

Even the idea of removing the parking from that section of the street would be great.

And while we're playing fantasy better Swords: can we have a postbox back on the Main St, please?

Grafton St doesnt allow cars at all but delivery vans/trucks are allowed in the morning up to a certain time when doing drop offs. Theyd have to have somthing similar if they were to make it a pedestrian street or there',d be vans dumped all over the place in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

some sort of consultation/poll would need to be conducted amongst everyone.

I personally can only see it having a positive effect on businesses on the street. i dont go anywhere near the main street any more. to me its becoming run down and its not a very pleasant street to walk on.

if it were pedestrianised however then i could see myself becoming a regular user of the street.

i think the portion of the street from the N1 up as far as the Lord Mayors should probably remain open to traffic at all times and as mentioned, deliveries need to be allowed at certain times also.

i have no idea logistically how it would all work, but from a purely selfish perspective i would love it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Defo a good idea imo. Could well reinvigorate it, not sure our awful councillors have the cojones or brain's to take such action.

Anyone interested in making a serious attempt to lobby for this kind of thing? Drop me a pm.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Would a single lane one way system be a good middle ground? Still access for businesses but not the carnage there currently is.

I think a one way system would be much more likely to get the go-ahead than complete pedestrianisation and would make a huge difference.

Advertisement