Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction economics and quantity surveying

Options
  • 07-08-2014 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi

Im hoping to enter the construction economics and quantity surveying course in the galway campus in september 2014. I would be grateful if anybody could give me a further insight into the hours and usual timetable over the past few years of this course as im trying to figure out am i better to commute or to move upto galway from mayo.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭gtrizy

They change every year, the two years I've already been there both first year and second year have never been the same. So it could either work out favorable for you or not. We had a bollox of a first year time table but the first years this year had a much nicer one but second year was much better for us than the year that done it before us.

There's lots of modules you'll never use in first year and during the course review (think it happens every 5 years) we all gave feedback about removing some modules or doubling them into one module so this year you might have the nicest timetable ever due to less modules.

An average day may consist of a few breaks too, if you're in for 9-6 for example you might have 3 hours off throughout the day, an hour break and a two hour break which in fairness is annoying enough going home, relaxing and having to go back in for a 4-6. First year lectures are mainly 1 hour long whereas second year lectures are mainly 2 hours long. Most the lecturers themselves are sound out, mixed personalities but you'd find that anywhere. There's also quite a few boring lectures but I guess you'll find that in any course.

Here's last years timetables to give you an idea what modules you'll have and how they're structured, but like I said they won't be the same.

Edit: can't post pictures due to being a new user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭castlebarian

Thanks very much for the feedback appreciate it I geuss ill just have to hold out and see my hours come september so and chance the commute for the first while. Looking forward to getting it started now . How did you find the first two years ? I suppose if I commute and I have a few hours split during the day I could spend them in the library and try and keep on top of things but that is easier said than done haha.

To be fair its an easy enough course once you do the work, I've not been putting in massive effort the first two years because they don't count towards your degree which is probably the wrong attitude but its done me no harm so far. If you have good attendance and do your assignments you'll fly through the first two years.

Two hour break for commuters would be annoying but the computer rooms always opened so if you commute just go in and watch a movie online or something, loads of people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

How many hours a week is the course?

Just finished third year so I cannot remember exactly how many in 1st and 2nd year but I think it was roughly:

1st - 28-30 (5 days a week)
    2nd - 24-26 (5 days a week)
    3rd - 19-20 (4 days a week, off Fridays. plus 6 week work placement starting January)
    4th - 20-22 (3 days a week, off Monday and Tuesday)

4th year is optional though which you're better off doing because if you haven't got a level 8 you cannot get Chartered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

gtrizy wrote: »
    Just finished third year so I cannot remember exactly how many in 1st and 2nd year but I think it was roughly:

1st - 28-30 (5 days a week)
    2nd - 24-26 (5 days a week)
    3rd - 19-20 (4 days a week, off Fridays. plus 6 week work placement starting January)
    4th - 20-22 (3 days a week, off Monday and Tuesday)

4th year is optional though which you're better off doing because if you haven't got a level 8 you cannot get Chartered.

Cheers, how do you find the course and the lecteurers? What are the modules like? Just want a bit of information.

Thanks!

Cheers, how do you find the course and the lecteurers? What are the modules like? Just want a bit of information.

Thanks!

The course is handy enough if you have good attendance.

Some of the lecturers are hard to warm to in first year because you're just another student to them but the longer you're there the better ye get on with each other.

The modules are fine, some pointless ones in first year and some boring ones throughout the remaining 2-3 years but it has to be done.

Overall I'd recommend it because the construction industry is really picking up now, everyone in my year got summer work whereas when we were in first year all the 3rd years had to go aboard to find summer work.

Advertisement