Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts joint honours questions. (fYP)

Options
  • 07-08-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey, so I'm only going into 2nd year, but I'm just a bit confused about the fyp for 4th year.
    I have chosen English and psychology, so for my fyp, will I have to do two separate projects for each module, or do I mix both for one, or do I chose one module and do a fyp in my chosen module :)
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I really have no idea how it works :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Just 1 topic that can be around something broadly related to your areas of study, and something that a supervisor will agree to supervise. So you could do an English Literature FYP or a psychology one. You've lots of time to be worrying about it yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bexter94

That's brilliant, thank you so much :)
    So I'm guessing in forth year, you have exams as normal in your modules, and then the fyp on top on them, but you have the whole year to work on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

You have exams and other work such as essays, etc even whilst you are doing the FYP. You don't have all year for the Fyp, most deadlines are February or March. Mine is then and I am in the literature department.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

This year the people in arts had to have their FYPs handed in in week 4 of semester two so it was really early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Yeah I remember that! It was last week of February or first week of March, right? I think it is about the same this year too!

So just a little warning OP, if you think you have all year for the FYP, you'll need to use the summer before 4th year like most of the 4th years are at the moment :) Just a bit of advice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Jikashi

Yes, FYP will be due Week 4 of second semester of 4th year. Sounds daunting but it's actually grand, meant that I had it done and out of the way nice and early to focus on the finals for the modules.

Word of caution for any BAJH students when sorting yourself for FYP. Hopefully things have changed since my year (grad 2012) but the organisation of FYPs for BAJH is insanely biased towards English, Sociology, Cultural Studies etc.
    I did the Criminal Justice and new Media Cultural Studies streams and wanted to do my FYP based on the Law half, but the course does not properly provide for this option, despite it being just as valid a choice as the rest of the streams. Anyway I had to make special arrangements for the head of the Law Dept to be my supervisor because nobody on the supervisor list for Joint Honours was suitable, all of the citations and formatting workshops were irrelevant due to the different citation system in a Law piece of work, and the course director et al had no idea what to make of the choice, they could only advise on the likes of sociology, english, public admin etc.
    A similar thing happened to a guy in my course who did Maths and Economics for his streams, the course had no idea how to help him get him FYP show on the road.

A major fault in the course as a whole, I believe, that offers ~16 streams but only focuses on the needs of students who choose about ten of them while the rest have to make exceptional arrangements.

Not to deter you at all from choosing to write on the stream of your choice. I did my Law based FYP despiet actual recomendations against doing so (why bother offering it in the course you wallies?), with no help whatsoever from the University (besides library resources), had pretty much no contact with the supervisor, just cracked on alone, got my A1, 1:1 and sailed into my Law Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bexter94

Wow, that's great to know!! Thank you so much.
    I'm doing psychology and English anyway, so I should be alright, but thanks....this will help out a few people I know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

bexter94 wrote: »
    That's brilliant, thank you so much :)
    So I'm guessing in forth year, you have exams as normal in your modules, and then the fyp on top on them, but you have the whole year to work on it :)

Worth pointing out also you will only take 4 regular modules plus the FYP. So when it's finished you have a little less to worry about all in all.

Advertisement