Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beware of Slug Peletts & Dogs

• 07-08-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

My dog recently ingested slug palettes and developed uncontrollable censures. Usually, these palettes were stored in the shed however my dog got hold of the container and chewed it open.

I quickly read up on the issue and found out to my horror the extent and threat to the dogs life. Multiple sources stated a 50 percent mortality rate, depending on the quantity ingested and the size of the dog (Approximately 1 teaspoon per 4.5kg/10lb of body weight will cause death in fifty percent of ingestions).

The container had some generic advice to keep the contents out of reach of children yet nothing regarding the danger to pets or animals!

IMO, there should be an explicit warning if not an out right ban on these pellets. If they can do this to our pets imagine the wider effect they are producing on wildlife besides the intended target, slugs.

My dog was very lucky and thanks to the work of the vet managed to pull through. The slug pellets are in the bin now (Other posters have mentioned creating a beer trap to get the slugs instead). I hope that knowledge of the danger of these pellets may save somebody's beloved family pet from similar circumstances and potential loss of life not to mention a hefty veterinary bill.

Advertisement