Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedging options

• 07-08-2014 11:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭

I have a wall about 3' high around the front of my house.I want to plant a hedge on my side of the wall for privacy.I would like it to grow to at least 7' and to be very dense so that you cant see through it at all.I don't mind having to do regular pruning to achieve this.

The ground at the moment is pebbles on weed barrier over soil.I would like to plant a hedge that attracts wildlife ( if possible ) and also would like to maybe mix in some holly or similar .

Can anyone recommend what hedge I should go for ,also how to prepare the existing soil to take the new hedge and what size hedges should i plant ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I got some good information on a similar request here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057258745

Might be of some use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I started growing a Photinia Red Robin hedge a few months ago. It's evergreen but changes to a lovely red colour later in the year. It's hardy enough and grows about a foot a year I think. We wanted it to put some privacy between us and the neighbours front garden, again, it's about a 3 foot wall. The garden gets a lot of wind and the photinia is very flexible so it should stand up to the wind.

I've planted mock orange shrubs on the longer wall, the scent is wonderful and it's a more attractive option for wildlife.

Advertisement