Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasses frames - how much would you spend??

• 08-08-2014 7:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭

hi ladies, long time glasses wearer..
    usually only wear glasses at work and contacts out of work..
    but i am having problems with contacts and so i am gonna spunk up my glasses.. frames..

so tried on a pair that are fab on me but they come with a hefty price tag..

how much is too much to spend on a pair of glasses frames??:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

It's really up to yourself and your budget! I only wear glasses for computer work and tend to buy them once every 5-6 years, so I'm happy to spend a bit more on frames because I know I'm going to be wearing them for a long time! I also tend to find it hard to find glasses to suit my face so I don't mind spending a bit more when I find ones that work for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

I brought my elderly neighbour in to get her eyes tested last week.
    I was SHOCKED at the price they were charging for frames!

Frames with your prescription are sooo cheap online.
    http://www.buynewspecs.ie/brands/

I saved the old dear about €200.
    I know opticians have overheads and staff to pay but I think the prices are a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I wear glasses all the time and keep the same frames for a few years. No way would I order them off internet without trying them on first. The last time I got two pairs for whatever the more expensive frames costed (220 euro I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

so try them on in store, look inside the arm for its product code and then buy online? plenty of online retailers to choose from. most provide anti-glare free or other extras

much cheaper than buying in store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's up to you whatever you want to spend on them! I got glasses recently and it happened that the ones I liked the best were €200+ but I got another pair free too. If you're going to be wearing them everyday for a few years then personally I don't see the problem spending that much on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The most I've paid was around €230 for Miss Sixty acetate frames, and it was so worth it. I've recently had new lenses put in as the frames are still absolutely perfect after daily wear for nearly five years (and I couldn't find new ones that I liked as much). I still get compliments on them several times a week!
    I would pay up to €250 for the 'perfect' frame (i.e. a robust one that suits my face shape and feels right). I wouldn't pay that amount for an overly fashionable frame as I know I would tire of them quickly.
    How much should you spend? If you're wearing them every day and not at risk of going into debt over them I say blow the budget and go for them! Pop in your contacts and wear the samples around the opticians again for at least 10 minutes before you take the plunge, to make sure they're really comfortable (and not just gorgeous!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I used to spend about €100 on my frames (that's at the lower end of the budget) but recently when I needed new glasses I went to Specasavers and they had an offer one, buy one get one free on frames over €89, so I got two pairs, €189 each and I only paid for one.

Lenses are the killer for me, but really, if you are going to be wearing them 24/7 and want them to last a few years, and if you can afford it, spend the money on them, it will be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭cjmcork

I've worn glasses since I was 7 (so 32 years now) - I can't get laser surgery and I can't wear lenses, so at this stage my glasses are part of my face - I don't think anyone would recognise me without them..............to that end, I don't have an issue paying good money for my frames - I got a Versace pair last time out and they were about €300 - the lenses were another €250, but I got 4 years out of them - so if you do what the fashion mags do and break it down into a per wear cost - they cost me €0.37 per day

btw, this logic works GREAT with shoes, bags, dresses, etc! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Spending hundreds is absolute madness, and unnecessary.

I recently bought two pairs of glasses from www.zennioptical.com with all the reflective coating add ons available. Total cost? €60 including delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

Spending hundreds is absolute madness, and unnecessary.

I recently bought two pairs of glasses from www.zennioptical.com with all the reflective coating add ons available. Total cost? €60 including delivery.

huh? how did you know what suited you? etc..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You can upload a picture of your face and see what the glasses would look like on you, for best results you should know your pupillary distance.

Of the two pairs I bought, one suits me perfectly, which I mainly wear. The other pair doesn't suit me as much but it's a type that I wouldn't normally buy so that wasn't wholly unexpected, I usually wear this pair at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭sporina

You can upload a picture of your face and see what the glasses would look like on you, for best results you should know your pupillary distance.

Of the two pairs I bought, one suits me perfectly, which I mainly wear. The other pair doesn't suit me as much but it's a type that I wouldn't normally buy so that wasn't wholly unexpected, I usually wear this pair at home.

wow would never ever have thought of buying glasses on line…
    the frames i am looking at are gucci - not because of the brand but because the frames are fab…
    but they will prob be about 500e in total.. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

sporina wrote: »
    wow would never ever have thought of buying glasses on line…
    the frames i am looking at are gucci - not because of the brand but because the frames are fab…
    but they will prob be about 500e in total.. :(

Get the name/code of the frame and see if you can get the ones you like online, they're often alot cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭amandaf675

i got my first ever set of glasses last week and they cost a total of 108... Included was eye test, frame, lenses, and some glare coating cause I mainly need the for night driving.. and 2 years insurance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

I've been wearing glasses from zennioptical for years - my favourite pair cost about $11 so I just order a few pairs (the quality is not great) and they do me for the year.

I bought a more expensive ralph lauren pair recently but prefer the cheapo ones!

Advertisement