Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor follow up

Options
  • 08-08-2014 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

If you pay your doc for a visit. Usually somewhere between 50-60e. He asks you to get blood tests. What's your experience in costs for follow up discussions about the blood tests. My gp wants to charge 36e.
    Is this about right? Do all gp's charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

If you pay your doc for a visit. Usually somewhere between 50-60e. He asks you to get blood tests. What's your experience in costs for follow up discussions about the blood tests. My gp wants to charge 36e.
    Is this about right? Do all gp's charge?

Some will charge the next surgery visit to discuss tests as another consultation at the full price.

A reduced fee for what is really a consultation seems fair by today's standards !

My GP tells you to ring him for the results over the telephone and charges nothing. However, if there is an abnormality and he asks you to call to discuss the results that is another consultation at full price.

That said, some doctors might not charge for a follow up. I had to see a consultant neurosurgeon - on a private patient basis - a few years ago. He arranged a CT scan and told me to come straight back to his consulting rooms the following week with the images to give me the result. He would not take a fee for that discussion as he said that he would never charge a patient to just give a test result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

Mine charges 30 for follow up after bloods!

Its crazy!

But they way they see it in my gp office.... a consultation is 55 and bloods are 20.

They charged me 75 so my follow up was free... another time I went and they only charged 55 even though I had bloods so I had to pay the 30 for the follow up.

Surprised me though that I got bloods and doc rang with results and told me she would leave prescription with reception and I just had to collect... but they charged me 20 quid to pick up the prescription!

Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I do think that some doctors need to be more transparent with their fees; GPs and consultants. For the reason that no one wants to seem concerned over price when it comes to their health so they don't shop around enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,458 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

My GP practice say that they review results of blood tests when they come in and will contact me if any of the indicators are outside the recommended levels to discuss what needs to be done. This means that if I hear nothing after a few days, I phone the reception, ask them to print out the results and I then call in and pick them up without seeing a doctor. That visit obviously doesn't involve any payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

I can phone mine for free, go in for a fee (I think it's €35) and I'm always let off with this and that - been going to the same guy for years though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

coylemj wrote: »
    My GP practice say that they review results of blood tests when they come in and will contact me if any of the indicators are outside the recommended levels to discuss what needs to be done. This means that if I hear nothing after a few days, I phone the reception, ask them to print out the results and I then call in and pick them up without seeing a doctor. That visit obviously doesn't involve any payment.

That is the ideal arrangement !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    That is the ideal arrangement !

And the norm for anybody I know of around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭xxtippchickxx

my doc charges 40e a visit thats even taken bloods if something shows up he rings asks you come in and discuss it and wont charge guess im lucky!!

Advertisement