Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Almera Timing Chain Replacement -> Get other seals done too?

Options
  • 08-08-2014 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 04 1.5 almera and the timing chain is starting to go.

I've found a mechanic who will do the change, but i just need to get the kit first.

I've found the kit here; https://micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=1387691&pk=926B5

Comes with everything i'll need for this.

My question is, should i buy other seals as well?

Like the Rocker Cover seal etc. Is it just as handy to get them all replaced now?

many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Those cheap chain kits are a total waste of time in my experience. They don't last.

You are better off to just buy a genuine Nissan chain (just the chain) and fit that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You may as well if you intend keeping the car. Do you mind me asking what price the whole thing is going to cost? I used to have a primera (SR20 engine) and was told it would be cheaper to buy another engine rather than change the chain on my own (it didn't need doing, it was just a mechanic friend telling me that)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

200 labour, and whatever the cost of the kit is.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

also, i am looking to know what else should be replaced while this has to be done. Better to get it all out of the way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You got good advice from George Dalton, I'd listen to him.
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭chicorytip

200 euro labour sounds suspiciously
    little for a job like that.I once got the chain on a 01 Almera replaced.Total cost
    700!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

One of the dearest Indy's in limerick quoted me €400 about two weeks ago.

....and I do mean one of the dearest (they're good but you do pay for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

i got mine done for €450 in auto doctor 6 months ago €250 cheaper than nissan were quoting and they used a nissan chain like a new car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

What were the tell tale signs it was on its way out

racso1975 wrote: »
    What were the tell tale signs it was on its way out
    it started jumping when pulling off in first gear engine light flashing then stayed on like when a ignition coil goes but worse. the mechanic that fixed it said that it happens when oil is not changed regularly the chain stretches then the timing goes. better than a belt he said as when a belt goes it goes pear shaped a chain gives you a heads up and does not ruin the engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 pearlman

my daughter went out bought nissan almera 03. with the engine light on on the dash. needs new timing chain. I am doing it for her myself. just buying the chain cost 116 euro. then its going up for sale. its like a major misfire when driving. the slave cylinder on her gearbox went the other day i had to drive it with no clutch pedal. I don't like nissan. engines are smokey, chain,s go early, this thing about not properly serviced bull. ford belts last hell of long time. they don't have timing belt issues. its all over the net about the chains on almera. anyone who has one over 5 years and its still running get rid now today.

pearlman wrote: »
    my daughter went out bought nissan almera 03. with the engine light on on the dash. needs new timing chain. I am doing it for her myself. just buying the chain cost 116 euro. then its going up for sale. its like a major misfire when driving. the slave cylinder on her gearbox went the other day i had to drive it with no clutch pedal. I don't like nissan. engines are smokey, chain,s go early, this thing about not properly serviced bull. ford belts last hell of long time. they don't have timing belt issues. its all over the net about the chains on almera. anyone who has one over 5 years and its still running get rid now today.

I have mine 7 years the only issue was the timing chain great car otherwise service it myself annually no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

pearlman wrote: »
    my daughter went out bought nissan almera 03. with the engine light on on the dash. needs new timing chain.

Why ????:confused:
    There's hundreds out there for sale without the EML on.
    Loads advertised as having the chain changed...usually easy enough to see the newer sealant on the timing cover lip.

Advertisement