Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to buy cds/dvds and a local rockband

• 08-08-2014 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am coming to Limerick next week and I would like to find a shop to buy some cd's and/or dvd's. Is there any shop in downtown or not very far from downtown?

I would like to find a cd by a popular local rockband. Any recommendations? It is for a person who loves Rory Gallagher, but also Dream Theater, Rush, Metallica, Joe Satriani, Stevie Vaughn...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

There's nowhere in the city centre to buy cds now. Empire music, blackspot and HMV are all gone.

You might find something in the market, there is a stall run by the guy who owned blackspot although it's mainly records. I think he's just trying to get rid of his old stock.

There is a HMV out in the crescent shopping centre. About 10 minutes on the bus from the city.

As for local music try here:
    http://www.outonalimbrecords.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭brianhickey

Try Moviedrome on Henry street, they have a concession for Wingnut Records, which distributes lots of local and independent music. I think they stock some of the Out On a Limb stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I can't think of any local rock bands releasing music who would be heavy on the guitar solos like the examples you have given.

Maybe some of the Windings stuff, but if you said they were into Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, then I'd definitely recommend Windings. But yeah, Windings.

Maybe some Protobaby if they're into their rock, but I don't think that has many solos, or maybe some Fox Jaw.

As suggested, moviedrome is your port of call. The lads in there will recommend something as well, Pat, especially knowledgeable about music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

You might find something in the market, there is a stall run by the guy who owned blackspot although it's mainly records. I think he's just trying to get rid of his old stock.

He's actually trying to run a proper business there, and seems to be doing alright. He sometimes has new releases from local bands, but he does deal mainly in vinyl. CDs are definitely a secondary line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

The guy running blackspot turned on me once in the shop, assuming I was laughing at his records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

dvd's were on sale at the car boot on the eastway buisness park, last sundaay @50 cents each, looked new, i have no interest sso do not go by me

Advertisement