Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Torch/Jet Flame Lighters

• 08-08-2014 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

I'm a bit stumped by this, I'm thinking it's probably ignorance on my part. Like anyone who smokes cigars in Ireland I find that the wind can be a real hindrance, making lighting up with anything other than a jet flame lighter very difficult, at least while maintaining a good light that will lead to an even burn.

I have a good jet flame lighter, it wasn't cheap by any means. I've found that after being used once or twice it starts to misfire & won't ignite a flame. When it first happened I assumed it was empty though knew it shouldn't have been, but when it was left alone for a few hours it ignited fine. But the problem is recurrent, I can light up the cigar fine, but should I need to relight or retouch the cigar I'm prone to run into the same problem.

I assumed it was a problem with the lighter, and so bought a cheapish jet flame lighter off ebay which finally arrived the other day. This one is even worse - I filled it, and it lit up fine once or twice before going into the pattern of misfires, sparking, occasional flame that dies out right away etc.

In both lighters I can hear the butane gas coming out, and I can see the spark, but no flame.

I wanted to blame the gas, but it has refilled a standard lighter just fine. So it could be my technique in refilling the lighters, even though I believe I am following the directions as specified:

Adjust lighter to lowest setting; turn lighter upside down and hold canister directly over held straight, depress for x seconds, warm in hands for 10 seconds, leave for 2/3 minutes.

What I've noticed is when I press down I never get to the point where the lighters are full and I start to see liquefied butane dribble out of the nozzle, like I apparently should. It just keeps going(?)

Any ideas? It's really frustrating.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Think I had a similar issue. Maybe try emptying the lighter completely by pushing the valve of filling point to bleed any air trapped inside before filling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I had a similar problem with my Zippo Blu. A combination of a blocked (dirty) fuel jet and vapour lock were causing inconsistent burns. I cleaned the jets with a q-tip and a drop of alcohol.
    As above, try emptying the lighter then re-filling.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement