Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full moon Sunday

Options
  • 08-08-2014 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Hi looking for tips in advance of the full moon this weekend. Was going to drive up the mountains to get a good look but have never done it before so can anyone advise
    a) the best time of night
    B) the best spot..
    According to my moon app moonrise is 8.30 pm and its going to be a clear night but I'm guessing I could be a bit more prepared than the above to make the most of it..
    Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

lolo62 wrote: »
    Hi looking for tips in advance of the full moon this weekend. Was going to drive up the mountains to get a good look but have never done it before so can anyone advise
    a) the best time of night
    B) the best spot..
    According to my moon app moonrise is 8.30 pm and its going to be a clear night but I'm guessing I could be a bit more prepared than the above to make the most of it..
    Any advice appreciated :)

To be honest, a full moon is that bright that it really doesn't make much difference if viewed from a dark sky area or a built up area. So while it would be worth a trip up a mountainside to gaze at the stars, not so much just to gaze at the moon. And the moon washes out a lot of the stars due to the light it reflects so the best time to stargaze on a mountainside would be on a moonless night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

ThunderCat wrote: »
    To be honest, a full moon is that bright that it really doesn't make much difference if viewed from a dark sky area or a built up area. So while it would be worth a trip up a mountainside to gaze at the stars, not so much just to gaze at the moon. And the moon washes out a lot of the stars due to the light it reflects so the best time to stargaze on a mountainside would be on a moonless night.

Ok that's not something I would have thought of, thanks! Maybe just a trip round the coast in Dalkey would be a better idea for Sunday, to see it over the water..
    Save the mountains for a new moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

If you don't have Stellarium on your main PC, download it.

It will give you an indication of where the Moon will be at a given time.

{If one were to use the advanced options one could include their own location from photographs to determine visible obstructions, my own attempts at this failed.}

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Red Nissan wrote: »
    If you don't have Stellarium on your main PC, download it.

It will give you an indication of where the Moon will be at a given time.

{If one were to use the advanced options one could include their own location from photographs to determine visible obstructions, my own attempts at this failed.}

Sounds perfect, thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

lolo62 wrote: »
    Ok that's not something I would have thought of, thanks! Maybe just a trip round the coast in Dalkey would be a better idea for Sunday, to see it over the water..
    Save the mountains for a new moon!

Exactly - that's the one advantage a mountain (or coastal area) would have over an urban area and that is being able to see the moon when it is very low in the sky. Beautiful orange colour when low down and it's more comfortable to view through a telescope/binoculars at that stage as it isn't as bright yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement