Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Terrible performance,lucky to get a point.We just have the most mediocre squad ever assembled.Safe decent players who are never gonna threaten the big teams but will beat the majority of teams in the bottom half.welcome to mid table obscurity and for those of you not liking the europa league- not a problem we will have from next season on.

Our centre backs were calamitous but I considering it was our reserves I thought we had some decent spells. Kane was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

Ormus wrote: »
    Our centre backs were calamitous but I considering it was our reserves I thought we had some decent spells. Kane was excellent.

Our keeper was excellent,we would have been beaten 4-1 but for him.Kane did take his goal well but I don't see him as a top class striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

I thought Fazio was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

In other news: Spurs 2nd team draw 1-1 with Besiktas 1st team.

Ten changes from Saturdays game with Arsenal, Hugo the only constant. Tells me Poch isn't taking the EL too seriously. Can only hope that doesn't effect first team / EPL form.

Of one thing I am certain, Paulinho, Stambouli & Bentaleb are not going to win many games between them. Not sure if I hate Vlad or Paulinho more, the latter cost us TWENTY ****ING MILLION!!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

heres and idea, worth a try… play soldado with eriksen and lamella behind him.
    not knocking harry kane, but ade is back to his usual shiet

• Advertisement

Our keeper was excellent,we would have been beaten 4-1 but for him.Kane did take his goal well but I don't see him as a top class striker

They could've scored 4 but we could've had a few too. A draw was fair enough I think.

Kane probably won't be top class but he might be Premiership class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

He's scoring goals whilst adebayor and soldado are not.

Give him a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

These games are never thrilling, even when we had a good squad, for the most part I remember the EL as a bore. Only until it reaches the knock out stages does it get interesting. I've grown to dislike this competition hugely. Dangling the carrot of a CL place doesn't make it any more appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

irishmover wrote: »
    He's scoring goals whilst adebayor and soldado are not.

Give him a break.

agreed. i havent been his biggest fan but his goal last night was excellent. He should start on sunday, even for his effort and work ethic

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Hugo is having to make far too many saves in recent games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'm not going to despair. As only one person (Leinstersqspur) pointed out, our second team drew with the Besiktas first team. The same team that gave the Arsenal first team a good run for their money.

When I saw our starting team and then saw Besiktas were priced at 9/2, I told my friends that it was an unbelievable price. Thankfully I turned out to be wrong.

Poch played two up front and started with Townsend on the left. Both of these were a pleasant surprise.

Fazio is decent, if we're not playing a high line. While Chiriches is the worst CB I've seen in a Spurs jersey (bring back Gary Doherty!). Hi positioning is ok, but his decision making is nonsensical, in the extreme. He'll cost any team goals in any match any where. If we can get rid in January I'd be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Still think Paulinho is being played completely wrong we should get rid of him if Poch continues to play him as a holding mid.
    Apart from that Kane has come leaps and bounds since I saw him on loan at Norwich and I'm happy to see him doing well.

Lloris is a club legend for me now incredible performances 3 seasons now.

I'm not going to despair. As only one person (Leinstersqspur) pointed out, our second team drew with the Besiktas first team. The same team that gave the Arsenal first team a good run for their money.

When I saw our starting team and then saw Besiktas were priced at 9/2, I told my friends that it was an unbelievable price. Thankfully I turned out to be wrong.

Poch played two up front and started with Townsend on the left. Both of these were a pleasant surprise.

Fazio is decent, if we're not playing a high line. While Chiriches is the worst CB I've seen in a Spurs jersey (bring back Gary Doherty!). Hi positioning is ok, but his decision making is nonsensical, in the extreme. He'll cost any team goals in any match any where. If we can get rid in January I'd be delighted.

I agree about Fazio, he'll be great in a backs to the wall, defending corners type situation, but he's probably worse than Dawson in a high line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

anybody else worried about davies, looks a poor left back to me

townsend and lennon offer nothing, i mean a winger, beat your man and get the ball in the box, they cant even pass it sideways

seen a glimpse of the real soldado with that fantastic run and pass to bentaleb, if he got service he will score, 34 goals in 50 european games and we cant even give him one chance

i will hold my hand up and say kane looks a different player, still not fully convinced but he has improved and his work rate is great so credit where its due

dier aint a right back, vlad is shocking and comparing him to the ginger pele is an insult to doherty

i like stambouli, think he will add something to the squad, paulinhio looks like he wants out but i mean he was played out of position last night

enjoy lloris cause we wont have him next year, super super goalie and should be the team captain

townsend and lennon offer nothing, i mean a winger, beat your man and get the ball in the box, they cant even pass it sideways

seen a glimpse of the real soldado with that fantastic run and pass to bentaleb, if he got service he will score, 34 goals in 50 european games and we cant even give him one chance

i will hold my hand up and say kane looks a different player, still not fully convinced but he has improved and his work rate is great so credit where its due

dier aint a right back, vlad is shocking and comparing him to the ginger pele is an insult to doherty

i like stambouli, think he will add something to the squad, paulinhio looks like he wants out but i mean he was played out of position last night

enjoy lloris cause we wont have him next year, super super goalie and should be the team captain

I think Davies is lacking in confidence. He's still only 20, maybe he'll turn it around.

Everyone seems hung up on Kane not being top class but he has good movement and works hard. He seems to be gaining in confidence and could be really useful to us this season. I'd take him any day over Adebayor.

I agree with you about Lloris. Wouldn't blame him at all for leaving in summer. He's too good for us unfortunately.

Ormus wrote: »
    I think Davies is lacking in confidence. He's still only 20, maybe he'll turn it around.

Everyone seems hung up on Kane not being top class but he has good movement and works hard. He seems to be gaining in confidence and could be really useful to us this season. I'd take him any day over Adebayor.

I agree with you about Lloris. Wouldn't blame him at all for leaving in summer. He's too good for us unfortunately.

He's definitely growing with each game, pity he's not blessed with pace. Performs well with the national side also. I could see him reaching double figures. I can't imagine there being too many Spurs supporters who are still Ade fanboys. But when Sunday rolls around, who's going to start?

I agree with Ormus. I think the best of Davies is still to come.

It's a confidence thing. Coming to Spurs with such a hefty price tag is only going to add pressure. Plus he hasn't had the fortune to play alongside a steady centre back pairing. Hopefully things will settle down in the coming months and we see Kaboul/Vertonghen being the first choice centre back pairing - Davies (and the defence in general) will benefit from a consistent back four.

He won player of the year two years in a row at Swansea, that has to stand for something.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    He's definitely growing with each game, pity he's not blessed with pace. Performs well with the national side also. I could see him reaching double figures. I can't imagine there being too many Spurs supporters who are still Ade fanboys. But when Sunday rolls around, who's going to start?

I was thinking that with Adebayor coming on for Soldado last night, maybe it was a sign that Soldado had done enough to work his way in to Poch's plans for Sunday - and thus was replaced for protection. Only time will tell.

I was thinking that with Adebayor coming on for Soldado last night, maybe it was a sign that Soldado had done enough to work his way in to Poch's plans for Sunday - and thus was replaced for protection. Only time will tell.

Hope your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Davies, Fazio, Dier, Stambouli & Vlad all needing game time....

Chiriches: "I know I didn't play well lately, but I'm working very hard at the moment. I'm still not 100% fit. I know how fans are thinking, I hope they will forget the bad things after my first good game."

• Advertisement

TV: ITV4. Kick-off 8.05pm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

UPC won't show it on ITV4 (regional restrictions), but it's available on Setanta Ireland apparently. Not 100% sure if that's available for everyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

It's on upstairs in mayes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I'm stuck with upc myself and its on setanta Ireland show starts at 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Team: Lloris (c), Dier, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies; Capoue, Dembele; Kane, Lamela, Townsend; Adebayor.

Subs: Vorm, Chiriches, Chadli, Eriksen, Lennon, Stambouli, Soldado.

Hopefully this means Soldado starts on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Minjor wrote: »
    Team: Lloris (c), Dier, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies; Capoue, Dembele; Kane, Lamela, Townsend; Adebayor.

Subs: Vorm, Chiriches, Chadli, Eriksen, Lennon, Stambouli, Soldado.

Very strong team and 4-4-2, looking forward to it

Jaysus Capoue. Lucky boy.
    Dembele "should" dominate the midfield tonight.

Kane tastic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Great hit from Kane, 1-0.

Advertisement