Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Fiorentina.... not sure what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

We've been drawn against Fiorentina, very happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Fiorentina.... not sure what to make of it.

well it was do to them or Inter Milan so I d take Fiorentina, we should beat them,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I'm happy with that draw, was dreading we'd get Zenit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Wish I could be home for this game. Reckon it'll be a gold atmosphere home and away. At the inter Europa game a couple years ago where we won 3-0 and Bale scored.

Italian supporters were great to watch.

• Advertisement

Watched Fiorentina last night against Roma, I don't watch Italian football regularly. Entertaining it was not, Gomez scored twice, but spent most of the night offside. There record in the Italian league is decidedly average.

I'd be disappointed if we went out to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Is he quick? If we get the high line right (big if), we could stop him from being much of a threat.

Kiith wrote: »
    Is he quick? If we get the high line right (big if), we could stop him from being much of a threat.

No, average. He's getting on in years. He took his two goals well, but was constantly straying offside, he's a big lad. So would pose a threat in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭golfball37

He was the big lump up front for Germany a few years ago. Missed a hatful of chances in one of the tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Didn't Salah sign for them? He left our centre halves on their arse when playing for Basel...

• Advertisement

Wouldn't he be cup tied?

Wouldn't he be cup tied?

He can play for Fiorentina as long as Chelsea didn't finish 3rd in their CL group and are now playing in the Europa League themselves.

Pretty sure that's how it works anyway.

On Salah.

“I played against Spurs twice in the Europa League when I was at Basle and I scored an important goal that helped us qualify.

"They were very good games for me. That was an important moment for me and for Basle. I also put in five assists in that competition and am fired up for this chance."

I thought if you played for a team in any European game, you you were cup tied in Europe for any other team? The wiki article seems to agree, though i won't use that as a proper source.
    Wiki wrote:
    UEFA club football regulations state that, with very few exceptions, players who play in a European club competition are subsequently cup-tied with respect to all European football for the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I thought if you played for a team in any European game, you you were cup tied in Europe for any other team? The wiki article seems to agree, though i won't use that as a proper source.

He's on the UEFA squad list... http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2015/matches/round=2000588/match=2014589/prematch/player-lists/index.html

He can definitely play against us no matter what any wiki says.

As above, he's in the Europa League squad list.

He'll probably score against us now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Some interesting stats - http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31470797

On average teams drop 2.3 places when competing in the EL. Though according to the last table, we're not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Should get a stream here later on ;)

http://www.streamhd.eu/channel5.html

Working now

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

TEAM: Lloris (c), Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Chadli, Eriksen, Townsend, Soldado.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Resting a few players. Still strong enough to win easily

Minjor wrote: »
    TEAM: Lloris (c), Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Chadli, Eriksen, Townsend, Soldado.

Good to see Chadli starting

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

Hopefully Soldado will do well tonight and get a goal or two. The reliance on Kane up front doesn't really bode well for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

awkwardboy wrote: »
    Hopefully Soldado will do well tonight and get a goal or two. The reliance on Kane up front doesn't really bode well for the rest of the season.

I really like Soldado's attitude but I have given up hoping he will score. Enough is enough, send him home to Spain. Best all round. I do understand the manager playing him cos we can't Play Kane in every game and the other yoke is a Joke.

Best link I've found so far

Spurs V Italians

:pac: COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Surprised poch rested so many for this game but with so many games coming up something has to give,I'm expecting the visitors to defend a lot so we might sneak a 1-0 win.

Not a convincing team, still you've got to use the squad, might sneak it 2-1?

Paulinho - pikey.
    Townsend - rarely creates anything, good on penalties.
    Soldado - nice guy.
    Davies - too slow.

Chadli/Eriksen are creative, there it ends. Having said that Italian football is bloody awful.

SOLDADOooooooooo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

BOBBY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I really like Soldado's attitude but I have given up hoping he will score. Enough is enough, send him home to Spain. Best all round. I do understand the manager playing him cos we can't Play Kane in every game and the other yoke is a Joke.

Maybe there is hope yet for Soldado! Get in there :)

Advertisement