Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless Support

Options
  • 08-08-2014 12:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4

Hello,

Does anyone know a community that do Homeless support?.
    And how I can help out?

Example:
    - Even carepackages that are filled with food,protein bars,fruit,etc for the homeless.

etc.

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Get in touch with the Simon Community. They do great work and should be able to let you know how you can help.

http://www.dubsimon.ie/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6pGfBRD09M-TmYTBzqIBEiQAcRzH54WgIab8flmF7swAzXngpBqTolXEnhMJhz-u_A3-Y5gaAi8D8P8HAQ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 71 ✭✭ohohseven

The cappuchin day centre in Smithfield. They give hot meals and such to the homelsss. They do great work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Sky003

ok, cool thank you.

what about couchsurfing? you know, the website. anyone interested in that?

What do you guys think of this idea?:

- The volunteers/owners/etc buy in bulk ingredients to make pizza's (i.e: flower,yeast,tomato sauce,cheese,etc).
    [+] -> Then the homeless make their own Pizza daily, AND they sell their pizza's too. And what makes it good? Because its freshly made good quality pizza.

its about the homeless coming together, working together in a good spiritual/fun friendly way, and improving their selves every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Sky003 wrote: »

- The volunteers/owners/etc buy in bulk ingredients to make pizza's (i.e: flower,yeast,tomato sauce,cheese,etc).
    [+] -> Then the homeless make their own Pizza daily, AND they sell their pizza's too. And what makes it good? Because its freshly made good quality pizza.

its about the homeless coming together, working together in a good spiritual/fun friendly way, and improving their selves every day.

Think you would need a lot of funding in order to get something like that going. There is a brilliant place in Liverpool called The Brink that basically has recovering addicts retrain in cooking etc. Its a dry bar and sells food at reduced rates. Really lovely place to go to.
    Would love to see something like it in Dublin.
    http://thebrinkliverpool.com/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ok, cool thank you.

what about couchsurfing? you know, the website. anyone interested in that?

I used to be a couchsurfing host, but it wasn't intended for homeless people. It was meant for travellers on a budget. Air BnB seems to have overtaken it now, as people charge for what couchsurfing hosts used to provide for free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I'm sure your heart is in the right place but you really need to look at why a lot of these people are homeless in the first place...they tend not to form cooking communes and sell pizzas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Where would the homeless be selling pizza from?isn't there all sorts of food safety certs and stuff needed to sell food commercially?

I think you'd be better off volunteering with Bro.Kevin/Simon/Crosscare/Merchants Quay etc and getting a look at the reality of homeless life and the myriad of complicated reasons why people end up on the streets.

kk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

You can volunteer your time if you have some spare.
    My GF does this every Wednesday night.
    You've probably seen them out and about at night.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Inner-City-Helping-Homeless/177473812459195

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

I suspected the OP was taking the piss...seems he was after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement