Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brasserie

Options
  • 08-08-2014 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭

Lads did the Brasserie close or move - if it's moved where did it go to ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

I could be wrong but think the owners have opened up Grow Cafe on Patrick Street across from where old cinema was.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

deisediva wrote: »
    I could be wrong but think the owners have opened up Grow Cafe on Patrick Street across from where old cinema was.

That would be correct. There is a poster up in the window confirming. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It was also a terrible move. Was in there during the first week or so. The menu is smaller, the options not great, the food was ok (literally got 4 chips in a small bowl as a "portion"), and the interior... Lets just hope you like bright colours. Such a pity, the Brasserie had great food and excellent choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Yes have to agree don't link the decor of the new grow cafe. It's too bright and a bit like a barn. Food ok not as nice as previous place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

I thought the food was just as nice nut setting ain't as nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Baby4 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Ben Hennessy painted the walls. He doesn't work with Spraoi.

He's had to swallow his pride and bring some of the old favourites back...if I was him I'd swallow even more pride and paint the walls. It was a nice idea...it just didn't work.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Two things that put me off the Barsserie;

1) Their menus had become dated and thus damaged. They needed to be reprinted (the design did the job) and probably move away from the older form of finishing.

2) I have no idea why but I really disliked the plastic tablecloths.

The food was very good. I have odd pet hates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

The Brasserie was well established and always had a good crowd in any time I've passed it. The food was nice, good portions and you felt like you got good value for your money. The atmosphere was always handy and casual. I don't understand why they decided to just throw away all that brand loyalty.

Grow Cafe feels cold and looks like a crèche. The menu and food quality was fairly bad when I went in the first week they opened; rock hard baked potatoes in the shape of chips which they were passing off as "home fries". They have changed their menu recently to include most of the old stuff from The Brasserie. They also had a girl standing outside A-Wear handing out menus during the Spraoi weekend saying "We used to be The Brasserie"

They should just cut their losses and put "The Brasserie" sign back outside.

They should just cut their losses and put "The Brasserie" sign back outside.

But only after painting the walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

http://www.growcafe.ie/

I was in there over Sproai weekend and I have to say the portions were anything but small.

The chicken wings are fantastic there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ferdbags

literally got 4 chips in a small bowl as a "portion"

I would definitely get up and leave if the portions were that small, unless it was about 10c a portion.

Honestly, it was 4 chips. They weren't small, but they certainly weren't worth the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Apparently Grow has now closed its doors. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

Link??

Just saw it announced by one of the owners on their Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

sillysocks wrote: »
    Just saw it announced by one of the owners on their Facebook page.

I saw it on Facebook too... Why did it shut?

That location has never had anything last

If they'd been able to hang on until the new cinema opened that probably would have been a boost in trade for them for before/after a film!

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭er1983

So is there a link to facebook for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

There's no link. None of the owners announced it publicly. It was in the paper that it closed for economic reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Theres been loads of restaurants in that location and none of them ever lasted very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,396 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

that was quick !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

That's a pity. With the cinema re-opening across the road it would surely have boosted numbers in the door.

That spot just seems to be cursed. Anything that ever went in there never lasted long,.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

i doubt with the cinema opening again could have saved them

Let's be brutally honest, their move to that location killed them. The Brasserie was always lovely, but the changed menu and terrible decor ruined it for me. Went once just after it opened and it put me completely off. If they were to get another location and reopened it as the Brasserie, with the same menu, i'd be back in a heartbeat.

a job for gordon ramsey ...... ?

Advertisement