Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Team Foundation Server Training

Options
  • 08-08-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone know of any instructor led courses for Team Foundation Server (TFS)? I found one with New Horizons (which was reasonable), one with Develop Mentor in the UK (remote learning which was approx £6,500 for up to 12 developers) and another on Professional Training (no pricing yet).

We want to get training mainly on version control in TFS as we are upgrading from Visual Source Safe. TFS is also the only option as this is part of our IT strategy (don't ask why - decision made).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

TFS is excellent. Dont think the version control side of things is that different from Source Safe.

I would expect that a training course on this topic would focus more on automated builds, Agile stuff, work item integration (for sprints), estimation/capacity planning, graph generation (burn down chart for example) etc.

Learning Tree offer a course too. Not sure of price - http://www.learningtree.com/courses/1816/agile-software-development-with-team-foundation-server/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

There is loads of stuff available on line.

Try posting some questions here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

If you are only using it for version control then i dont think a training course is required. Install it and go through a few how-to type guides before spending money on training courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

What I found helpful with TFS was to install the tools for Windows Explorer. TFS by default integrates heavily with VS, and while I get that's the point of an IDE, it's just very... obtuse...

The extra tools work a bit more like the TortoiseSVN/HG user interfaces.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Sign up with pluralsight for a month they have several online courses that might help you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Thanks lads. Yes we were thinking of doing the tutorials ourselves, but we are swamped with projects and we believe a course would allow us time to understand this product, else we would keep putting it off.

grahamor wrote: »
    TFS is excellent. Dont think the version control side of things is that different from Source Safe.

I would expect that a training course on this topic would focus more on automated builds, Agile stuff, work item integration (for sprints), estimation/capacity planning, graph generation (burn down chart for example) etc.

Learning Tree offer a course too. Not sure of price - http://www.learningtree.com/courses/1816/agile-software-development-with-team-foundation-server/

That appears to be US based - although they more than likely offer online courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Thanks lads. Yes we were thinking of doing the tutorials ourselves, but we are swamped with projects and we believe a course would allow us time to understand this product, else we would keep putting it off.

Have you already setup an internal staging server to do some tests with?

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Have you already setup an internal staging server to do some tests with?

Not yet all we have been doing was working on local copies of the code.

Advertisement