Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Charges question regarding number of adults living in the house

Options
  • 08-08-2014 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

So I am led to believe that the first six months or so of water charges will be based solely on the number of people living in the house.
    My question is how do they know who is living in the house? Is it based on the address acoording to revenue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

muddle84 wrote: »
    So I am led to believe that the first six months or so of water charges will be based solely on the number of people living in the house.
    My question is how do they know who is living in the house? Is it based on the address acoording to revenue?

They'll be sending out forms that you'll have to fill in and return to them - including the PPS numbers of the occupants

Supposedly this is to ensure that those who are entitled to "free" allowances will get them but I reckon that it's so that they can deduct from your wages/dole if you don't cough up.

2 reasons for this:

- The whole Irish Water scam was moved from Environment to Finance in the recent reshuffle

- The government are looking to setup a state debt collection agency

Yet another cash grab from Enda and his pals!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Supposedly this is to ensure that those who are entitled to "free" allowances will get them but I reckon that it's so that they can deduct from your wages/dole if you don't cough up.

2 reasons for this:

- The whole Irish Water scam was moved from Environment to Finance in the recent reshuffle

- The government are looking to setup a state debt collection agency

Yet another cash grab from Enda and his pals!
    This is the Accommodation & Property forum, let's keep any comments on-topic. There is a Politics forum if you want to make such comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

You'll tell them in order to get whatever "free" allowances are available.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Number of adults will be referenced to multiple sources- including the electoral register.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭muddle84

Number of adults will be referenced to multiple sources- including the electoral register.

This exactly what i waa afraid of. So how do i change my name on the electoral register? And what other sources are you referring to?

• Advertisement

This exactly what i waa afraid of. So how do i change my name on the electoral register? And what other sources are you referring to?
    Is you name currently incorrect on the electoral register?

No Pants wrote: »
    Is you name currently incorrect on the electoral register?

Sorry i actually meant how do i change my address on the electoral register. My current address is home. I never bothered to change it because i was moving around so much.

Sorry i actually meant how do i change my address on the electoral register. My current address is home. I never bothered to change it because i was moving around so much.

You have to apply to the council in whose electoral area you reside- notifying them of your previous address to have your details recorded for your current address, and removed for the previous address. Most councils have a specific form for this (many even provide pre-paid return slips).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Not a hope they'll be getting a PPS number from anyone in this house

hdowney wrote: »
    Not a hope they'll be getting a PPS number from anyone in this house

Just as long as you accept this means no free allowance for the occupants......

• Advertisement

Just as long as you accept this means no free allowance for the occupants......

Correct me if I am wrong (and I probably am) but the 'free' allowance is only for kids right? Not adults?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

But the electoral register is notoriously wrong? I'm registered in three different places (and I have tried to inform them), I actually get a voting card at all three!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Correct me if I am wrong (and I probably am) but the 'free' allowance is only for kids right? Not adults?

30,000 litres per household.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/water_services/water_charges.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

But the electoral register is notoriously wrong? I'm registered in three different places (and I have tried to inform them), I actually get a voting card at all three!

Three times the free allowance for you, so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

timetogo wrote: »

And hdowney says no one in the house will give a PPSN, so I presume the house will then be treated like a holiday home, and get billed for the 30,000. Nose and face come to mind.

Gee how nice of you. Thanks for that.

I really feel we haven't been told anything at all and are just expected to jump and do what we are told (like always). And citizen's advice website isn't 'telling' us. Literature should be delivered to every household

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Isn't the water on a rate until 2017 when all the meters are expected to be fitted by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Gee how nice of you. Thanks for that.

I really feel we haven't been told anything at all and are just expected to jump and do what we are told (like always). And citizen's advice website isn't 'telling' us. Literature should be delivered to every household

of course literature will be provided, same as with any utility provider, but in the interim you can hardly claim an information deficit. In any case, it is foolish not to furnish a PPSN to avail of the 30,000 free littes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Irish water have said they want to have a daily allowance (~82 litres/day) and it can't be carried over from day to day

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/use-it-or-lose-it-plans-for-water-allowances-spark-hygiene-fears-30425778.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Caliden wrote: »
    Irish water have said they want to have a daily allowance (~82 litres/day) and it can't be carried over from day to day

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/use-it-or-lose-it-plans-for-water-allowances-spark-hygiene-fears-30425778.html

When that article came out I think people were saying the meters don't have that capability. Is that the case? I don't know that much about the meters. Sounds sensible enough.

The metres are read when a van drives past. The van would have to drive past every day for that to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Listening to the spokeswoman for Irish Water, the charges are going to be a figure based on the number of people at an address, until the water meters kick in after 6 months or so. Therefore the question raised in the first instance is still valid.
    I have two adult children who are currently not at home, but will be by September. Regardless of what the Electoral Register says I have no intention of disclosing the fact that there are 4 adults in the house as that would add €204 to the water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Regardless of what the Electoral Register says I have no intention of disclosing the fact that there are 4 adults in the house as that would add €204 to the water charges.

Add or remove? I thought households would get a free allowance based on how many people live there, ie more people = more unbilled water?

Or is it the opposite way around for the first six months?

Either way - if a government official asks you how many people live in a property, for the purpose of calculating a legal tax or charge, then your choices are to

1) Refuse to tell them - and likely get billed utility-provider the equivalent of emergency tax, ie a lot more than you'd be liable for.
    2) Lie - and commit fraud - which will probably have consequences at some stage.
    3) Tell the truth.

Your call - I know which one I'd be picking.

Two observations here: lots of references to things heard in the ether. Are there no publications / press-releases yet, or have Irish Water not quite managed to get their media-management stuff sorted.

And it would be really hilarious (and A Good Thing, IMHO) if an unintended consequence of the water charging was an improvement in the quality of electoral-roll data.

Literature should be delivered to every household
    What exactly would you like to see in this literature that isn't already covered elsewhere? I'm assuming that you're happy for the cost of this literature to be added to the eventual bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Add or remove? I thought households would get a free allowance based on how many people live there, ie more people = more unbilled water?

Either way - if a government official asks you how many people live in a property, for the purpose of calculating a legal tax or charge, then your choices are to

1) Refuse to tell them - and likely get billed utility-provider the equivalent of emergency tax, ie a lot more than you'd be liable for.
    2) Lie - and commit fraud - which will probably have consequences at some stage.
    3) Tell the truth.

Your call - I know which one I'd be picking.

Two observations here: lots of references to things heard in the ether. Are there no publications / press-releases yet, or have Irish Water not quite managed to get their media-management stuff sorted.

And it would be really hilarious (and A Good Thing, IMHO) if an unintended consequence of the water charging was an improvement in the quality of electoral-roll data.

From my understanding every household will get an estimated bill until the metering system is up and running. Most people have concentrated on the aspect of free water usage for children and ignored the situation for adults. For the administration of Irish Water to issue bills they must know how many adults are in the house. If they carried out that survey now my answer is 2. Next month it will be three, and shortly after, 4. Within 3 months it may be back to 2. It is not a case of lying but I do not see why honesty should be penalised. They've installed a meter but due to their own inefficiency it will not operate for at least 6 months.

The free allowance is for the children only( people under 18). From what I have read,for the first six months every house will be billed based on how many adults ( people over the age of 18 regardless of there employment status) live in that house. How they determine how many people live in the house is what I am trying to figure out. I first heard of this approach from somebody to do with Irish water that was on Newstalk. I also read it on a newspaper website which I think was the independant.

The free allowance is for the children only( people under 18). From what I have read,for the first six months every house will be billed based on how many adults ( people over the age of 18 regardless of there employment status) live in that house. How they determine how many people live in the house is what I am trying to figure out. I first heard of this approach from somebody to do with Irish water that was on Newstalk. I also read it on a newspaper website which I think was the independant.

The proposal is that there be a free allowance of 30,000 liters per person per annum- with an additional allowance of a further 23,000 liters per child (under the age of 18) per annum. (they had originally proposed an additional 38,000 liters per child- but this was revised downwards by Irish Water- and accepted at a lower level of 23,000 by the CER- on the basis of submissions from Irish Water- indicating Irish children would not need the higher amount of water).

Its still with the CER though- and if you have any observations on the proposals- get your skates on, you have only another forthnight to send in your comments/obs.

Also- this has all been moved from the Department of the Environment to Finance- and its thought that ultimately it will come under the remit of the soon to be consituted State Collections Agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The proposal is that there be a free allowance of 30,000 liters per person per annum- with an additional allowance of a further 23,000 liters per child (under the age of 18) per annum. (they had originally proposed an additional 38,000 liters per child- but this was revised downwards by Irish Water- and accepted at a lower level of 23,000 by the CER- on the basis of submissions from Irish Water- indicating Irish children would not need the higher amount of water).

Its still with the CER though- and if you have any observations on the proposals- get your skates on, you have only another forthnight to send in your comments/obs.

Also- this has all been moved from the Department of the Environment to Finance- and its thought that ultimately it will come under the remit of the soon to be consituted State Collections Agency.

I thought it was 30,000 per household not per person.

I thought it was 30,000 per household not per person.

Yes, you're right- it is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

what about buildings with apartments? is that under "group water"? will each person have to pay a set amount, or will be charged separately?

sorry I've read the citizens advice, and has left me very confused!!

• Advertisement

SMJSF wrote: »
    what about buildings with apartments? is that under "group water"? will each person have to pay a set amount, or will be charged separately?

sorry I've read the citizens advice, and has left me very confused!!

Any properties that they can't install a meter in- are to be charged according to the number of inhabitants, property type, property size etc. The occupants would be billed separately by Irish Water- not the Management Company (aka its another utility bill for residents- its not the duty of the landlord to pay the bill).

Advertisement