Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which gig?

Options
  • 08-08-2014 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Next Wednesday, Earth play in Whelans while Amon Amarth play The Academy. As someone woud who knows next to nothing about either band, which would be most worth going to see "cold", as it were?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Well what are your preferences? Earth are Doom/Drone/Stoner and Amon Amarth are Melodic Death Metal with some Viking and Norse mythology themes. And why would you want to see either band if you're not familiar with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ssba91

Never heard of Earth but I've seen Amon Amarth twice already and they are brilliant live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Passenger wrote: »
    Well what are your preferences? Earth are Doom/Drone/Stoner and Amon Amarth are Melodic Death Metal with some Viking and Norse mythology themes. And why would you want to see either band if you're not familiar with them?

I like to live dangerously. :D

I like bits of Sunn0))) and Sleep so thought I might like Earth, lot of people seem to rate Amon Amarth highly, particularly live. Just wondering what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jayobray

Interview with Amon Amarth in the Irish Times yesterday. They're excellent live, don't know much about Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

I'd recommend Amon Amarth from past experience & 'cos I like 'em.

But I am just a stranger on the Interwebz. This endorsement might mean nothing to you. But I'd like to think I've turned at least 1 person back to the righteous worship of Odin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 TheMackAttack

Amon are decent man, totally wworth checking out live!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Saw Amon Amarth last time they played and they were incredible ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

+1 Amon Amarth. Caught Earth a while ago in Whelans and was bored to tears and left early.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Just to go against the general trend here: I saw Amon play last year and they bored me. But, saying that Earth and Amon are worlds apart in terms of style and I'd say that Amon would appeal to a wider audience and there would be more of a party atmosphere at that gig.

I've yet to see Earth play, my plans to see them this time have fallen through, but if you love drone/doom I'd say Earth would be do you. There's be a much more relaxed atmosphere at that gig, I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

I've yet to see Earth play, my plans to see them this time have fallen through, but if you love drone/doom I'd say Earth would be do you. There's be a much more relaxed atmosphere at that gig, I'd imagine.

I went to see Electric Wizard in the same setting and they were unreal! You were just enveloped by the fuzz and the tone. So good.

In contrast, Earth were just lifeless and could not stop laughing at the drummer who over accentuated every hit (because of the verrrrrry slow pace). Personally thought there was a whack of pretention!

Have to agree too that the styles couldn't be more different (AA / Earth). I think you should go to whichever you think you'll have fun at and get the most out of. Load up a few vids or try to find a set list from each and see what you think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement