Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GK selection

• 08-08-2014 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭

Right.

Everything's in the thread's title. How do you choose your goalkeepers?

A bit of personal background

Over the 4 years I've played the game I tried different options:
    1. An expensive keeper from a top team (ekfatt) (e.g. Cech, Szczesny) that I was playing every weeks coupled with a £4.0m keeper who was not guaranteed a game ;
    2. Partial rotation between an "ekfatt" and a cheapie who was guaranteed a game e.g. Mignolet / Boruc at the beginning of last year ;
    3. Rotating 2 cheap keepers from 2 teams which rotate the best possible and offer CS potential e.g. Marshall / Mannone & Mannone / Adrián last year.
    I can't say I've ever been really satisfied. When using a big gun I've been left with disappointing late goals while his team was flying ahead and while using the rotation I've been burnt by my own method (basically my away keeper was doing better than my home one). I've also been pretty badly inspired when dilemma happened (is it better away to a bad team or home to a top one ?).

Last year I kept track of my GK choices over the whole season.
    1. I started with Mignolet / Boruc for the first 13 GWs.
    2. Then I swapped Boruc for Marshall until GW20 included.
    3. From that point I decided to rotate 2 cheapies:
      1. to save cash for the strikeforce,
      2. because the big guns were not doing that much better.
    So went for the popular Marshall / Mannone combo for 5 GWs &
    finally got Adrián for the disappointing Marshall from GW26 'till the end.
    It's hard to know if I'd done better or worse with different solutions since my whole team would have been different. But the facts are the facts. I got 156 pts out of my playing keeper and my benched keeper got 139 pts. I only started to make consistently better decisions from GW26. Overall I made the right choice 45% of the time for 40% of bad decisions (the remaining 15% seeing both my keepers score the same amount of pts). Clearly it's not a good enough ratio. I had a great season, finished just shy of the top 1.5k and I know that a simple 5-10% shift of better decisions would have landed me in the top 1k.

This season choice.

So how do you guys do?

I made a poll based by coupling the options listed in this great article (=> http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2014/07/17/fantasy-premier-league-player-list-analysis-goalkeepers-2/) with the best rotations listed in this other great article (=> http://www.fantasyfootballscout.co.uk/2014/06/24/premier-league-201415-home-and-away-rotation/).

One of the questions I'm wondering about is: DeGea + Myhill (£9.5m) to take advantage of United starting fixtures or Krul + Mannone (£9.0m) for rotation sake (though with Pantillimon's arrival Mannone may not be a clear number 1...) ?

edit

OK, just added the poll. I realise it's quite "thick". Ah well I tried to summarise the pros and cons of each combo from the 2 articles aforementioned. You'll probably find other combinations (New/Swa ; New/WBA ; Sun/Sto etc...) but I have to go now so couldn't complete the 25 maximum possibilities of the poll.

What is your GK combination? 100 votes

Lloris + Speroni (£11.0m) - good opening fixtures ; great rotation ; expensive
    0% 0 votes
    Courtois/Cech + Adrián (£11.0m) - good opening fixtures ; good rotation ; expensive
    2% 2 votes
    Courtois/Cech + Krul (£10.5m) - great opening fixtures ; good rotation ; expensive
    0% 0 votes
    Szczesny + Adrián (£10.5m) - OK fixtures ; good rotation ; expensive
    2% 2 votes
    Howard + Adrián (£10.5m) - bad opening fixtures ; OK rotation ; expensive
    0% 0 votes
    Howard + Boruc (£10.5m) - good opening fixtures ; good rotation ; expensive
    1% 1 vote
    Hart + Mannone/Foster (£10.5m) or Myhill (£10.0m) - poor op. fixtures ; good rot. ; starting GK ?
    1% 1 vote
    Szczesny + Green/Guzan (£10.0m) - OK opening fixtures ; OK rotation ; pb GW4
    2% 2 votes
    DeGea + Guzan/Krul (£10.0m) - great opening fixtures ; good rotation
    1% 1 vote
    Begovic + Fabianski (£10.0m) - great opening fixtures ; great rotation
    25% 25 votes
    McGregor + Fabianski (£10.0m) - good opening fixtures ; great rotation ; maybe expensive FWIW
    7% 7 votes
    Adrián + Speroni (£10.0m) - Good opening fixtures ; great rotation ; maybe expensive FWIW
    0% 0 votes
    DeGea + Foster (£10.0m) / Myhill (£9.5m) - great opening fixtures ; bad rotation ; starting GK ?
    0% 0 votes
    Lloris + Foster (£10.0m) / Myhill (£9.5m) - OK opening fixtures ; OK rotation ; starting GK ?
    23% 23 votes
    Boruc + Schmeichel (£9.5m) - OK opening fixtures ; great rotation ; promotted team
    1% 1 vote
    McGregor + Heaton (£9.5m) - OK opening fixtures ; great rotation ; promotted team
    0% 0 votes
    Krul + Mannone or Pantillimon (£9.0m) - good fixtures ; great rotation ; cheap ; starting GK ?
    0% 0 votes
    McGregor + Foster (£9.5m) or Myhill (£9.0m) - good opening fixtures ; good rotation ; cheap
    35% 35 votes
    Guzan + Foster (£9.0m) or Myhill (£8.5m) - good opening fixtures ; great rotation ; cheap
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Gatame

Going with Begovic/Krul for the first 8 weeks. Will compare this with DDG/4m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

iroced wrote: »
    ekfatt

Huh?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42,193 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Huh?!

Abbreviation for an 'expensive keeper from a top team'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Huh?!

haha :D sorry probably wasn't clear enough. Just my own personal shortening for "expensive keeper from a top team" .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Usually rotate cheapies but going DDG and Myhill to start.

I know I will end up wild carding early and when I do I will upgrade Myhill to someone who plays. I never feel comfortable having non-playing squad members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I'm going for Krul plus 4.0m mostly because I'm not convinced of any of the other 4.5m keepers and Newcastle have a nice run. This could come back to haunt me, but I think the 0.5m can be used more efficiently on my defence than on a rotating keeper.

Voted Krul and Mannone (but may end up going Krul + Foster, who also rotate well). Have never tried rotating keepers really so going to give it a go this year. I think the key will be to pick the most logical choice (based on home/away, quality of opponents, form, etc) and once you do that you can't beat yourself up if the keeper you didn't choose does better.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

The options I'm considering:

1. De Gea + Gilks (9.5)
    2. De Gea + Krul (10)
    3. Speroni + Green (9.5)
    4. Krul + Sunderland (9.0)
    5. Krul + Eliot (8.5)
    6. Green + Murphy (8.5)
    7. Begovic + Fabianski (10)

My whole backline and keepers are up for grabs but I'm considering rotations between Stoke/Swansea and Crystal Palace/QPR especially. I wouldn't put much faith in Sunderland/Newcastle rotation early on due to fixtures and defensive capabilities but is cheap and holds guaranteed starters.

I think QPR will be rather solid at the back and I believe 9 of their first 11 fixtures are in London and coupled with a Palace defender will be a great option early on but I don't actually know what way I'll work it yet and will depend on who's looking like likely starters.

The options I'm considering:

1. De Gea + Gilks (9.5)
    2. De Gea + Krul (10)
    3. Speroni + Green (9.5)
    4. Krul + Sunderland (9.0)
    5. Krul + Eliot (8.5)
    6. Green + Murphy (8.5)
    7. Begovic + Fabianski (10)

My whole backline and keepers are up for grabs but I'm considering rotations between Stoke/Swansea and Crystal Palace/QPR especially. I wouldn't put much faith in Sunderland/Newcastle rotation early on due to fixtures and defensive capabilities but is cheap and holds guaranteed starters.

I think QPR will be rather solid at the back and I believe 9 of their first 11 fixtures are in London and coupled with a Palace defender will be a great option early on but I don't actually know what way I'll work it yet and will depend on who's looking like likely starters.

7 options and 7 days left until the deadline! You need to eliminate one option everyday!

7 options and 7 days left until the deadline! You need to eliminate one option everyday!

:pac:

Sounds like the premise to a very terrible film. "FSA: Rotate Hard"

Nah I guess I'm really between 2 that being De Gea and a 4.0 or Speroni and Green but I'm open to other ideas

• Advertisement

:pac:

Sounds like the premise to a very terrible film. "FSA: Rotate Hard"

Nah I guess I'm really between 2 that being De Gea and a 4.0 or Speroni and Green but I'm open to other ideas

8. Krul + Foster.

Am I helping?!

8. Krul + Foster.

Am I helping?!

I'm wary about Newcastle defensively and I wouldn't trust WBA defensively at all, until they prove otherwise. So yes if I'm eliminating other options :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Gatame wrote: »
    Going with Begovic/Krul for the first 8 weeks. Will compare this with DDG/4m.

Me too, not in the poll

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

8-10 wrote: »
    Me too, not in the poll

Same here. De Gea and a 4 mill is the only other option I'm looking at, none of which are in the poll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

The way I'm approaching it I'll be playing 3 defenders plus the keeper and of that 4 I want Man U and Chelsea cover plus rotating cheapies for the other two spots.

For that reason I'm most likely going for Courtois/4m plus Evans in defense. Mainly as Chelseas 6m defenders are liable to rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

FHFC wrote: »
    The way I'm approaching it I'll be playing 3 defenders plus the keeper and of that 4 I want Man U and Chelsea cover plus rotating cheapies for the other two spots.

For that reason I'm most likely going for Courtois/4m plus Evans in defense. Mainly as Chelseas 6m defenders are liable to rotation.

I'm on this combo at the moment also because it seems a little safer than De Gea and a 6m Chelsea defender though I'm a little concerned about Cech.

irish son wrote: »
    I'm on this combo at the moment also because it seems a little safer than De Gea and a 6m Chelsea defender though I'm a little concerned about Cech.

I think the Crch/Courtois situation will be clear by the big kick off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

I think the Crch/Courtois situation will be clear by the big kick off.

Hopefully, I don't see why they'd call Courtois back to bench him but I'll still be nervous waiting for their team announcement next Monday night :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

I've currently got Begovic and Krul. Haven't looked at my team in about a week and I don't usually like rotating keepers so these selections are subject to change

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I'm going for Krul plus 4.0m mostly because I'm not convinced of any of the other 4.5m keepers and Newcastle have a nice run. This could come back to haunt me, but I think the 0.5m can be used more efficiently on my defence than on a rotating keeper.

That's what I'm doing for the first 8 fixtures. Did the same last year with boruc and Davis 8.5 combo till Dec .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Has there been any clue as to who will be starting for Sunderland?

Originally planned on having both Mannone and Pantilimon ut now I'm thinking Krul + Mannone would allow for rotations and be the same price.

Forster looks like he's going to Southampton for £10m. Would expect him to come into the game at 5.0m I guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Forster looks like he's going to Southampton for £10m. Would expect him to come into the game at 5.0m I guess?

Yeah I'd say that's a good shout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Speroni and Green for the first few weeks. DDG and a cheapie is my other option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Bego and gilks for me. Switch bego to speroni when fixtures turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Why is De Gea + £4m cheapie not in the poll! Seems to be by far the main choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭IanOBo

Anyone cautious of picking De Gea given the new tactics?

roryc wrote: »
    Why is De Gea + £4m cheapie not in the poll! Seems to be by far the main choice?

Yep that and Begovic/Krul are among the most popular but not in the poll. There's some included that I'd say nobody has

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

Yep that and Begovic/Krul are among the most popular but not in the poll. There's some included that I'd say nobody has

Ya. Who in their right mind is going to have an 11m combo in goal?

• Advertisement

Most of the combinations above are pretty odd choices, and the poll is missing the two most obvious ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I've moved from begovic and krul to lloris and non starter .....
    I think spurs will tighten up under poch and Ben Davies is not a certain starter it seems ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

IanOBo wrote: »
    Anyone cautious of picking De Gea given the new tactics?

You mean the tactics that lead Holland to 0-0 draws with Costa Rica and Argentina in the WC and kept further clean sheets against Brazil and Chile? Cautious wouldn't be my word, I'm just happy he's in at 5.5m and not 6m.

For your information, DeGea + Myhill is present. It's coupled with DeGea + Foster (which is £0.5m more expensive) since I don't know whose WBA GK is guaranteed a start
    Most of the combinations above are pretty odd choices, and the poll is missing the two most obvious ones!

Begovic/Krul have an extremely poor H/A rotation (only 8). Anyway the poll was just here as a guidance. I couldn't list all the combinations anyway and gave the background for the chosen ones.

Begovic/Krul have an extremely poor H/A rotation (only 8)

Still would get votes though because of the popularity of it for early fixture rotation (not just h/a). 14 of the choices as it stands have no votes.

Maybe a poll based on prices and we could debate? Otherwise it's just Krul/Mannone, DDG/Krul, DDG/Myhill.....and the rest.

Personally I think Begovic/Fabianski is my favourite rotation and will be utilizing it in the Ultimate game this season.

What are others doing for the Ultimate game? 2 rotating keepers and a dud? 1 and 2 duds? Or 3 rotating?

I think a good strategy might be to go for 2 that rotate, and 1 backup that is backup to one of those 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Going with De Gea and a 4 mil cheapie. Had planned to go Krul/Mannone with Shaw in defence but Shaw now looks a bit if a risk so going with De Gea and Coloccini/O'Shea in defence.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »
    Going with De Gea and a 4 mil cheapie. Had planned to go Krul/Mannone with Shaw in defence but Shaw now looks a bit if a risk so going with De Gea and Coloccini/O'Shea in defence.

What are you doing re Chelsea Lemlin?

Oh, and Van Anholt could be better than o Shea possibly?

What are you doing re Chelsea Lemlin?

Oh, and Van Anholt could be better than o Shea possibly?

John Terry. He gets points for a goal even when he doesn't score, what more could you ask for!?

Van Anholt is an unknown to me so I'll stick with Johnny for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jamalcolorado

Thanks FHFC, Čech + 4.0 it is.

For your information, DeGea + Myhill is present. It's coupled with DeGea + Foster (which is £0.5m more expensive) since I don't know whose WBA GK is guaranteed a start

Begovic/Krul have an extremely poor H/A rotation (only 8). Anyway the poll was just here as a guidance. I couldn't list all the combinations anyway and gave the background for the chosen ones.

I honestly totally missed the De Gea + Myhill one. It's pretty confusing when its coupled with another keeper of different value! Hard to figure out what people are voting for. Doesn't look like the results give much insight with 3/4 of the answers not picked unfortunately... Would imagine a lot of people with end up De Gea + £4m cheapie. United's opening fixtures are too good to miss and there is too much uncertainty at the back to go with a defender. De Gea was the first player I picked this season. Would imagine Krul and Mannone are the second most likely? The poll at least shows this is a popular choice.

As for the poster above - Cech is an unnecessary risk IMO, especially with a £4m non-playing sub. You might not get a heads up as to when he will return and could end up with 0 from your keeper in week 2 and a waste of a transfer the following week.

• Advertisement

Thanks FHFC, Čech + 4.0 it is.

I wouldn't. As Rory says this news pretty much rules out the Chelsea keepers for me unless Courtois is announced fit by the weekend.

I think Courtois was most likely first choice so now Cech could start GW1 and then be dropped at any time.

I wouldn't. As Rory says this news pretty much rules out the Chelsea keepers for me unless Courtois is announced fit by the weekend.

I think Courtois was most likely first choice so now Cech could start GW1 and then be dropped at any time.

I agree. No point taking risks at the start of the season. The most important thing is having players who start. Premium players who don't will drop rapidly in value as people panic and transfer them out.

I remember a few years back the question was Hart or Given at City in similar circumstances. I steered clear but expected Mancini to stick with Given which he didn't do in the end.

Maybe a poll based on prices and we could debate? Otherwise it's just Krul/Mannone, DDG/Krul, DDG/Myhill.....and the rest.
    I honestly totally missed the De Gea + Myhill one. It's pretty confusing when its coupled with another keeper of different value! Hard to figure out what people are voting for. Doesn't look like the results give much insight with 3/4 of the answers not picked unfortunately... Would imagine a lot of people with end up De Gea + £4m cheapie. United's opening fixtures are too good to miss and there is too much uncertainty at the back to go with a defender. De Gea was the first player I picked this season. Would imagine Krul and Mannone are the second most likely? The poll at least shows this is a popular choice.

Yeah the poll is a bit of a mess. I realised it once I posted it... I guess I should have gone for my original idea which had 3 options (a top GK + a £4.0m one ; a top GK + a cheap guaranteed to start one ; 2 cheap rotating ones). Anyway the debate is open which was my main aim ;)

@ 8-10 : About the Begovic/Krul rotation, I agree with you but I think people who will go for this one will have to wildcard early, which could be a problem if their team happen to have already the popular early performers (low odds I agree but you never know...).

As for the popular DeGea + £4.0m. Who is your £4.0m keeper guys?
    We can choose between
    1. Myhill (WBA)
    2. Elliott (NEW)
    3. Given (AVL)
    4. Gilks (BUR)
    5. Hamer (LEI)
    6. Murphy (QPR)
    Is any of them guranteed to play ?

Yeah the poll is a bit of a mess. I realised it once I posted it... I guess I should have gone for my original idea which had 3 options (a top GK + a £4.0m one ; a top GK + a cheap guaranteed to start one ; 2 cheap rotating ones). Anyway the debate is open which was my main aim ;)

@ 8-10 : About the Begovic/Krul rotation, I agree with you but I think people who will go for this one will have to wildcard early, which could be a problem if their team happen to have already the popular early performers (low odds I agree but you never know...).

We can choose between
    1. Myhill (WBA)
    2. Elliott (NEW)
    3. Given (AVL)
    4. Gilks (BUR)
    5. Hamer (LEI)
    6. Murphy (QPR)

I wouldn't think so but I have Eliot in case Krul leaves but that's looking more and more unlikely.

We can choose between
    1. Myhill (WBA)
    2. Elliott (NEW)
    3. Given (AVL)
    4. Gilks (BUR)
    5. Hamer (LEI)
    6. Murphy (QPR)

Probably not, but I think Ben Hamer should be the FSA's 4.0m keeper of choice, based on his epic beard and also on the endless pun possibilities that a name like Hamer brings. I'm already thinking of changing from Mannone and Krul to DDG and Hamer for these 2 reasons alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I'm going with Speroni and Krul (9.5M)

Speroni played a blinder for me once Pulis took over at Palace last season. Pulis consistantly does it in terms of defence so going there again. Krul can rotate with him for home/away and Newcastle have a relatively handy opening 6.

All that said - DDG is only 0.5M dearer than Speroni and they have a dream start but not convinced by the united defence.

Coat22 wrote: »
    I'm going with Speroni and Krul (9.5M)

Speroni played a blinder for me once Pulis took over at Palace last season. Pulis consistantly does it in terms of defence so going there again. Krul can rotate with him for home/away and Newcastle have a relatively handy opening 6.

All that said - DDG is only 0.5M dearer than Speroni and they have a dream start but not convinced by the united defence.

Would you not go for Green over Krul, as Palace and QPR rotate really nicely early on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Would you not go for Green over Krul, as Palace and QPR rotate really nicely early on

Palace and Newcastle rotate nicely too

Giving DDG some serious thought now based on United’s first 10 games or so but would need to sacrifice an outfield player to make it happen.

This will go to the wire on Saturday morning I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Probably not, but I think Ben Hamer should be the FSA's 4.0m keeper of choice, based on his epic beard and also on the endless pun possibilities that a name like Hamer brings. I'm already thinking of changing from Mannone and Krul to DDG and Hamer for these 2 reasons alone!

I'm going with Hamer over Myhill. Myhill has high ownership and could be in for a price drop once people realise he won't play. Last thing I want is to be stuck with a 3.8m non playing GK, especially as I plan to change my GKs using one of the WIld Cards.

Benimar wrote: »
    I'm going with Hamer over Myhill. Myhill has high ownership and could be in for a price drop once people realise he won't play. Last thing I want is to be stuck with a 3.8m non playing GK, especially as I plan to change my GKs using one of the WIld Cards.

I'd imagine 90% of people who have Myhill are on a one top keeper strategy and have no expectations of him playing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement