Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog tooth extraction

• 08-08-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

I noticed our dog, a ten year old rottie, was having problems eating so went to the vet and he needs a tooth out. I was quoted 120€ From a vet ( our vet said she cant do it so gave me another number) would that be a normal price? I have emailed a few other vets for quotes. I am based in galway, but could go to limerick/ athlone if there was a good vet with a better price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I haven't had to have a tooth extraction done on any of mine but I imagine that price is about right...it would have to be done under general anaesthetic, which is always more expensive for larger dogs anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Sounds about right, I paid €90 for a cat, this included 3 extractions. Done for free the next time because I did it myself though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bluejelly

I was quoted 230 to get 2 of my labs teeth extracted recently, 1 is a baby tooth that never fell out & the 2nd apparently is starting to discolour which may lead to problems in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

You would need to know what level of service you are paying for really, BlueJelly's quote is more inline with vet offering full GA, monitoring, descale, polish, extractions and medication for a large dog.

There are a lot of vets around the country charging ~€100+ with merely sedation, no intubation, no monitoring, a rough descale and no due care. And while that seems cheap, its a rip off and poor practice to boot.

A dental with extractions can be as involved as minor surgery and carries the same risks, especially for an older dog, so do expect to pay for good service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I have a little terrier who is getting on in years to say the least, now we had noticed that she had started to loose weight at an alarming rate so yesterday I brought her to the vet and he told me she has some rotten teeth and they need to be extracted because she also has a gum infection. He wanted to do this straight away as she was malnourished so I dropped her off this morning after whacking in some antibiotics yesterday. I collected her this evening after getting some teeth extracted and the rest cleaned, she is now a much happier dog and the bill came to a very in my opinion reasonable €85.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

kev1.3s wrote: »
    I have a little terrier .....bill came to a very in my opinion reasonable €85.

Because your dog is small! :o

OP my boy was in on Tuesday to have what turned out to be a mass removed from his jaw/gum. He's 30kgs and the anaesthetic alone was €79.50 + €33 of injections before/after the op - sedative, pain killer, antibiotic etc and was sent home with €50 worth of painkiller and antibiotic but not sure if your dog would need them as this is a special/unusual case

Advertisement