Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying In America?

• 08-08-2014 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi,

I've searched the forum and know that this comes up every once in a while, but anyway I persist.

Some of my family are going to America in the next two weeks. They know I've been looking for a DSLR for over a year and have some money saved up. They've offered to pick it up over in America while they're there. I've been looking at a few and have been desperate for one since about April. I'll be able to get a better DSLR with the money I have now over there than I would any time soon over here (I can't save much each month).

I know the biggest problem is the adapters and warranty. I'll be going over to America myself in June next year so I guess if something happens and I need to get it fixed, hopefully it would be closer to the time that I'm going over.

I won't be leaving the house often with my camera though, so I can't think of how it could get damaged easily (besides the obvious like letting it fall). I'll be back to college soon (studying film) so the camera would really help - particularly as I have a lot of scripts written and stop motion animation ideas with nothing to record on but my phone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

If they're going to New York then B&H is the place to go. (Google them..) Let your family know however that they don't open on Saturdays. A few people I know have been caught out by that.

Don't worry about warranties etc as if you're spending decent money on decent gear faulty ones are few and far between. If you damage it yourself the warranty prob won't cover it anyway and there's people here that can repair them in that case.

BTW, 'in person' shopping in America is really the only way to purchase camera gear nowadays as anything by post gets caught for carriage/VAT etc bringing the prices closer to our own and therefore not worth it.

Advertisement