Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water metering to begin in Waterford on Monday

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Acid Rain is also naturally occurring. I don't you'd like that coming out of your shower though. And then having to pay for it.

The natural occurrence of acid rain is generally down to volcanic activity, something the earth right now does not really experience alot of and hasn't done in recent times. (an volcano in Iceland is not alot of activity in the scale of things)

Current instances of acid rain are caused by human activity, very far from natural. This is why significantly affected area's include parts of China, USA, Russia/Eastern Europe as its down to pollution.,

Maybe try a better comparison in future ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Cabaal wrote: »
    The natural occurrence of acid rain is generally down to volcanic activity, something the earth right now does not really experience alot of and hasn't done in recent times. (an volcano in Iceland is not alot of activity in the scale of things)

Current instances of acid rain are caused by human activity, very far from natural. This is why significantly affected area's include parts of China, USA, Russia/Eastern Europe as its down to pollution.,

Maybe try a better comparison in future ;)

It was all I had at that moment.

The people weren't consulted about their water changing, they were just told that it was going to happen. It's costing houses a fortune, and now they have to pay more for it. Something not right there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The people weren't consulted about their water changing, they were just told that it was going to happen. It's costing houses a fortune, and now they have to pay more for it. Something not right there.

When do people ever get consulted about new taxation? When does a government ever go into public consultation? This was proposed before the election by the previous administration, it was in the Fine Gael program for government before the election, Labour made a huge deal about it as their election campaign and the EU/IMF agreement had it written in too. To suggest it came as a surprise is madness.

It's also cheaper than other European countries and our neighbours in the UK. Which makes no sense when you apply the (incorrect) logic that we get a lot more rain than they do. It's not costing a 'fortune' anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Sully wrote: »
    Flat rate. Same way businesses can get it.

What is the flat rate though? €250, €350/annum ????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fair enough :)
    The people weren't consulted about their water changing, they were just told that it was going to happen.

But people voted for a party that said they would be introducing water charges,
    It was plain as day in FG's manifesto before the last election.

If people vote for a party that wants to introduce something (even if for many it was a silly ill informed protest vote), how does it make sense that people then complain when this happens?

It doesn't really :confused:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0215/finegaelmanifesto.pdf
    Water Charging:
    Fine Gael will introduce a fair funding model to deliver clean and reliable water. We will not ask home owners to pay for a broken and unreliable system and that is why Fine Gael will only introduce water charging after the establishment of a new State owned water utility company to take over responsibility from the separate local authorities for Ireland’s water infrastructure and to drive new
    investment.

So FG:
    - Established Irish water
    - Are now introducing charges

Thats what they said they'd do if they got into government, has it been handled as best as it could?. No, but then most things are not introduced without feckup's in this country, this might be perhaps due to our poor respect for rules, regulations and the like (you've only to look at the avg joe's respect for basic motoring laws etc to see how little Irish people care for rules and efficiency's).

I guess this shows the danger of people blindly voting for any party,

Its up to people to be informed about a party and its policy's before they vote for them, in this case it seems most people just didn't bother.

Now before anyone goes accusing me of some silly FG bias, I'm not. Hell they didn't get my vote in the election at the time. I just wanted to point out the problem with people claiming they were never informed of this happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Road-Hog wrote: »
    What is the flat rate though? €250, €350/annum ????

All of the figures have been published at the end of last month by the Commission of Energy Regulation. The CER are the ones deciding allowances and costing.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/unmetered-water-charges-how-will-it-work.html

Guys, you both seem to misread what I said.

The people weren't consulted about their water CHANGING...not charging.

I get the charges...I'm bitter about the water being changed to a high limescale content...and then bitter about being charged X2 for that

I get the charges...I'm bitter about the water being changed to a high limescale content...and then bitter about being charged X2 for that

Both of us have told you that it was repeatedly said before the election in many avenues that water would be charged for. What do you pay already for your limescaled water that you're now being charged double?

Is there any other country in the world that charges exactly the same price per litre , for clean fresh water , and dirty waste water .

Uk charges slightly more for waste.

Their water isn't changing. It's just got to be paid for. Where did you get the impression that it's being changed to a high limescale content? Don't understand what you think you're being charged twice for.

• Advertisement

Uk charges slightly more for waste.

The Dutch have what's called a 'waste water purification tax'.

That's another aspect that people forget about. What do people think actually happens when we flush the toilet or where our waste water goes?

Their water isn't changing. It's just got to be paid for. Where did you get the impression that it's being changed to a high limescale content? Don't understand what you think you're being charged twice for.

Jesus wept.

Okay...a few years ago, in Mooncoin (where I am) and South Kilkenny, the water was changed to a new source. This water was changing from soft to hard water. The public wasn't consulted about this, just told that it was CHANGING.

Now, the hard water ruins washing machines, ketttles, showers, dishwashers and pipes...all of these things subsequently need to be replaced. That aint cheap.

And now, myself and others are being asked to pay for this water which is destroying our home. And you all seem to think that's fine. The mind boggles.

Jesus wept.

Okay...a few years ago, in Mooncoin (where I am) and South Kilkenny, the water was changed to a new source. This water was changing from soft to hard water. The public wasn't consulted about this, just told that it was CHANGING.

Now, the hard water ruins washing machines, ketttles, showers, dishwashers and pipes...all of these things subsequently need to be replaced. That aint cheap.

And now, myself and others are being asked to pay for this water which is destroying our home. And you all seem to think that's fine. The mind boggles.

You already do pay :) I hear what you are saying though. I've been in houses in the midlands with a similar issue and they pay for the water through a private scheme. Despite the water being undrinkable and it damaging the electric shower!

I'm not sure if anything can be done in your case, I don't know enough about it but I do know that Irish Water will provide rebates to households with poor water quality.

You already do pay :) I hear what you are saying though. I've been in houses in the midlands with a similar issue and they pay for the water through a private scheme. Despite the water being undrinkable and it damaging the electric shower!

I'm not sure if anything can be done in your case, I don't know enough about it but I do know that Irish Water will provide rebates to households with poor water quality.

That's if it's poor tasting etc. They don't consider water that rots your appliances to be pure quality.

That's if it's poor tasting etc. They don't consider water that rots your appliances to be pure quality.

Didn't know that. If that's the case, a rebate should most definitely apply. It would be a disgrace if it didn't.

Jesus wept.

That was then. You seem to be implying that the current source of water is going to be changed. If it was, mightn't it be better than what you say is ruining your home? Domestic appliances don't last forever and will need to be replaced no matter what the water is like.

That was then. You seem to be implying that the current source of water is going to be changed. If it was, mightn't it be better than what you say is ruining your home? Domestic appliances don't last forever and will need to be replaced no matter what the water is like.

Where have I implied that the current source of water will be changed? I wish it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

That's true maryanne but people who currently have hard water need to replace their appliances much sooner then those who don't.

I currently know someone in the ferrybank area who has to replace the shower head and kettle every 6-10 months.

And to think those people will be charged the same, is not right.

Only concessions will to giving to those who's water is undrinkable

As previously stated that's not my reason for protesting against another tax, I don't know what the Celtic tiger has done to the Irish as we seem to have become a nation of conformes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Jesus wept.

I have hard water I fixed it by putting on a treatment plant ,nothing stopping you doing that.I am on a well of my own, who will I bitch to when the pump blows?
    Everyone has issues get over it.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Everyone has issues get over it.

Divide and conquer at its best there.

He has a fair point, he will be paying a company for a service, the product he receives will not be as good quality as somebody else but yet he must pay the same as a person who receives a better quality product.

As for your pump I'm not sure who you argue with and thats another problem with Ireland, your punished for supplying yourself, which isn't right, there should be assistance for those who go through the cost of installing and running a well as well as septic tanks, but unfortunately the typical irish attitude exists here "uh nothing to do with us, that's your problem"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

The_Shotz wrote: »
    Divide and conquer at its best there.

He has a fair point, he will be paying a company for a service, the product he receives will not be as good quality as somebody else but yet he must pay the same as a person who receives a better quality product.

As for your pump I'm not sure who you argue with and thats another problem with Ireland, your punished for supplying yourself, which isn't right, there should be assistance for those who go through the cost of installing and running a well as well as septic tanks, but unfortunately the typical irish attitude exists here "uh nothing to do with us, that's your problem"

If mains water is available why should everyone else pay for a person to run a well / septic tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What's this got to do with 1) Waterford and 2) Water Charges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I suppose I'm trying to put it in a more national framework rather than a local & not one
    just associated with water charges but the issue of fines not being paid & no action being
    taken against the people/political parties who put them there but for those who didn't pay their
    property taxes were hit with fines which were taken from pay-packet!

Will these people be hit by revenue?

I laughed when I read this 'Waterford City and Council did not issue any poster fines. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/candidates-fail-to-pay-fines-after-slow-poster-take-down-30500249.html#sthash.9lfSzd6O.dpuf'

They are still around since the election prior to the last one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I suppose I'm trying to put it in a more national framework rather than a local & not one
    just associated with water charges but the issue of fines not being paid & no action being
    taken against the people/political parties who put them there but for those who didn't pay their
    property taxes were hit with fines which were taken from pay-packet!

Will these people be hit by revenue?

I laughed when I read this 'Waterford City and Council did not issue any poster fines. - See more at: http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/candidates-fail-to-pay-fines-after-slow-poster-take-down-30500249.html#sthash.9lfSzd6O.dpuf'

They are still around since the election prior to the last one!

In all honesty poster fines are nothing to do with Water charges, could you start a separate thread for this and keep this thread specifically for Water Metre discussion

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I spoke to a friend living in Ferrybank area and he has hard water problem, apparently from what he heard from supplier (kk cc?) was that the water leaves the treatment plant fine but its the supply pipes that cause it to turn hard. Possibly not source issue then, although some reckon its due to change of supply so we dont know for sure whats causing it.
    if it is the pipes causing it, its a ideal case for Irish Water/Govt to show why increased investment was needed.

Personally, i think, in general, everywhere outside of Dublin doesnt have a supply problem, apart from some bad treatment and pipes in places like Ferrybank, Rosscommon etc. However in Dublin, supply is an issue and that is a bigger problem. This could have been solved for everyone by increasing the property tax or some other tax by €100 and that 100 going straight to the old council water departments but now the govt have created a whole new organisation, probably overstaffed and over paid which has to be paid for and that will cost 300€ probably. Why didnt they do with first option of levying a water tax on people, well water tax doesnt sound great, not good for votes and people would be giving out stink about a new tax. If they treated the public with intelligence and said we can add this 100 tax or set up a new org which will probably cost more in a levy form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Max Powers wrote: »
    I spoke to a friend living in Ferrybank area and he has hard water problem, apparently from what he heard from supplier (kk cc?) was that the water leaves the treatment plant fine but its the supply pipes that cause it to turn hard. Possibly not source issue then, although some reckon its due to change of supply so we dont know for sure whats causing it.
    if it is the pipes causing it, its a ideal case for Irish Water/Govt to show why increased investment was needed.

Personally, i think, in general, everywhere outside of Dublin doesnt have a supply problem, apart from some bad treatment and pipes in places like Ferrybank, Rosscommon etc. However in Dublin, supply is an issue and that is a bigger problem. This could have been solved for everyone by increasing the property tax or some other tax by €100 and that 100 going straight to the old council water departments but now the govt have created a whole new organisation, probably overstaffed and over paid which has to be paid for and that will cost 300€ probably. Why didnt they do with first option of levying a water tax on people, well water tax doesnt sound great, not good for votes and people would be giving out stink about a new tax. If they treated the public with intelligence and said we can add this 100 tax or set up a new org which will probably cost more in a levy form.

Just so everyone knows. I pay around €500 a year for water that is extremely hard in the UK. The kettle is 2 weeks old and already has a serious crust on it and the shower head will have to be replaced.

I don't get a rebate or anything of the like for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

O Riain wrote: »
    Just so everyone knows. I pay around €500 a year for water that is extremely hard in the UK. The kettle is 2 weeks old and already has a serious crust on it and the shower head will have to be replaced.

Let us know when you're marching and we'll fill a piltown coaches bus and come over on the boat to support you... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

It's not costing a 'fortune' anyway!

Tell that to the people on the breadline. This is not a charge to improve the water network. It is a tax to pay back the debts of the banks and "property developers".

Along with the Property Tax it shows this FG and Labour Government for what they really are.

• Advertisement

O Riain wrote: »

I think that post shows what will happen in Ireland, you will now pay for water without any improvement of quality.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement